Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jacaranda care

Posted by Ian_D NSW Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 13, 05 at 18:22

Hi, I have a Jacaranda tree that I planted 3 years ago it is 1.6 metres high and now "Spring" it's leaves are turning brown at the tips and when pulled ever so lightly the branch falls from the trunk. It is planted in poor rocky soil and is about 200 metres from the water, protected by other trees (Gums),we have no town water and we water the tree when ever we can.

Is there anything that I can do to save and nurture this tree?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jacaranda care

It's perfectly normal at this time of year, especially when grown in the cooler parts of its climatic range, e.g. on the Blue Mountains escarpment where I see a lot of them. Jacaranda is a dry-season-deciduous tree, which translates in our climate to losing its leaves in early spring and getting them back at the start of summer, in the middle of their flowering period.

The 'branch' that you say falls from the trunk is actually the rhachis of the bipinnate leaf.

You can tell when a branch is dying or merely becoming leafless by digging into its bark with your fingernail to see if it is alive and sappy below the surface.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here