Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon tree bug

Posted by Pam_Em WA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 17, 04 at 20:10

I have a medium sized lemon tree which has been transplanted in the last 6 months, which suffers from the "sucking" bug which makes the leaves unsightly - curled up and generally sick looking. I have put a systemic insecticide around the base and a little White Oil but it is the hottest time of year and I am told I shouldn't put White Oil on at this time. It had the problem before being transplanted too. I water, feed, manure as well as fertiliser and sometimes Seasol.
Anybody have a prognosis for this type of horrible affliction or an organic solution as I prefer to keep away from chemicals when I can.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon tree bug

Sounds like leaf miner. We used to get it all the time on our lemon tree in Perth... along with aphids, scale and some disease which peels the bark. Despite being anti-chemical for many, many years, I am now a convert to carbaryl. This is a contact poison with no withholding period. I use it to combat cherry slug, which were killing my cherry trees. I also used it to get rid caterpillars which were eating the buds of my pernnials and roses. Go and ask at you local gardening shop - you will find there is a great range of organic sprays available now. Take in a leaf so they can see what you need the spray for.

o

Thanks Robyn, I haven't wanted to spray with white oil in the seering temps as I was told it would burn the leaves even more. Don't think they could look much worse though. I hoped feeding the tree and keeping it healthy might help but I suppose as it's a "predator" that may be inconsequential. I'll ask agin at the Nursery.

o

Check out this site for positive identification of leaf-miner.

Carbaryl probably won't affect the leaf miner because the little critter will be protected inside the leaf. White oil is fairly innocuous and one of the very few insect control measures I use (on scale insects). It is not a poison - check out http://www.afcd.gov.hk/agriculture/eng/pso_e.htm

You could also remove the affected leaves, secure them in a plastic bag and put them in the bin - no more moths to hatch out to lay more eggs.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/business/7320.html

o
RE: Lemon tree bug Homemade White Oil

Just found a recipe for a homemade white oil - vegetable oil and Sunlight dishwashing detergent. Check site for instructions.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.abc.net.au/brisbane/stories/s780287.htm

o

I have had lemon trees do this ie get curled and unhealthy looking leaves, but in my case I don't think it is caused by a "sucking bug". I think it is more likely to be that the soil conditions are less than optimal. It is a possibility that your tree is still suffering root trauma from the transplant. I have found that lemon trees take a long time to recover from traumas.

o

I can't honestly say I've used this on much other than bromeliads and gardenias, and I would be worried about the sun too.
But MP put me on to this concoction which is called "Dr Bob's Salad Dressing" made from Canola oil and supposedly breaks down a lot quicker than the commercial white oils. Just a thought.

Here is a link that might be useful: canola white oil mix

o

• Posted by meggs WA Aust (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 22, 04 at 3:54

It might be both, as Giacomo said shock and because the tree is weak it is more susceptible to insect attack. Remember the oil treatment, whichever you choose does not kill the leaf miner, it prevents it from entering.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here