Return to the Roses in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
orange roses..names?

Posted by deejaus Melb.Vic. Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 10, 05 at 0:30

I'm looking for some names of orange roses to try and identify a rose I fell in love with.

It is a deep orange, slightly copper colour.

It is about 7-8cm across the bloom.

Very neat sort of shaped, domed but not high.

Any ideas will be appreciated. I will just Google on any of your ideas. If you have a photo you can post, that would be wonderful.

Cheers,
Dee.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: orange roses..names?

- Arizona is orange and 7-8 cm across the bloom. But has only faint scent, almost unoticeable.
- Just Joey is orage/apricot, much better scent and a quite large bloom.
- Pat Austin has most pleasing orange/copper colour I've ever seen, excellent growth and the fragrance is awesome too.
- Lady Emma Hamilton is probably one more extraordinary deep orange/copper beauty but it will take 2 years to reach Oz. Fingers crossed!
- Tom

o

Hi Dee
I am adding an url to roger's roses.
The site has a 'keyword' window.
Just type ORANGE into the window and it will bring up all known orange roses on the site.
I hope you can find the one you are looking for.
regards
sandie

Here is a link that might be useful: find your rose :)

o

I wonder if your rose is Jubilee 150 aka Pigalle? Here's a picture of the rose I have in my rose garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jubilee 150 aka Pigalle

o

• Posted by deejaus Melb.Vic. Aust (My Page) on
    Sat, Dec 10, 05 at 23:27

Thanks everyone for your input.

Tom; Arizona looked promising but isn't deep enough in colour. I have Just Joey and it is wrong shape and colour, not dark enough. Pat Austin is too pale and totally wrong shape. It couldn't be the last one, because I saw it in Melbourne.

Sandie; I couldn't find anything on that site that came close. I will look through it some more though, just in case.

Yvonne; Getting to the right sort of depth of colour but yours is a bit bright and the shape is different.

Thanks again. Any more ideas would be much appreciated.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

I have a lovley orange HT climber that is available as a bush too called Bettina (climbing).
If someone could post easy instuctions on posting a picture, I could try tp post it - she is flowering now.
cheers - Rach

o

Tue, Dec 13, 05 at 22:44

Gorgeous rose Rach. I'm not convinced it is the same rose though. My memory of the rose I saw is starting to wane but I'm pretty sure if I saw it again I would know it, but there again it depends at what stage of the bloom I saw it. I'm starting to lose hope. Nevermind, where on earth was I going to put it anyway?!! LOL.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

What about having a look at Delbards "France Libre"?
I can post a pic if you like.
cheers
Michelle

o

Wed, Dec 14, 05 at 17:05

Thanks for the suggestion Michelle. I can't seem to find a decent picture of it on the net, so if you could post one it might be helpful. How big is the bloom?
Cheers,
Dee.

o

Hi Dee

I have found the Rankins web site which has a description and images.

It is a Delbard rose.
www.rankinsdirect.com.au

Go to the Standards Garden collection. You will find it there.
Hope this is helpful,
cheers
Michelle

o

...and have you tried Help Me Find? Hopefully this link will take you directly to the page with photo samplers.

Von.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos.

o

Fri, Dec 16, 05 at 17:52

Thankyou Yvonne and Michelle. It sure is a beautiful rose and it is close but I don't think the shape or colour are quite right. The one I'm after is a slightly squatter or lower shape and the orange is more one tone and browner.

I'm beginning to think I dreamt the whole thing!! LOL.

Thanks everybody for your help.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

What about Lozza's China Sunrise? I'm going to give that a go next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: China Sunrise - Laurie Newman

o

• Posted by lozza Vic. Oz. (My Page) on
    Wed, Dec 21, 05 at 22:26

It does "pink" with age though. Here's another link to it. The latest seedling is worth looking at too - ZZSVES05-01 at - http://www.reliableroses.com.au/seedlings05.html

Here is a link that might be useful: China sunrise

o

Thanks Sparaxis and Lozza, but unfortunately not the one. My goodness, there are a lot of gorgeous orange roses out there! I think I will give up on this search and just wait to maybe see one in bloom in a nursery or in a garden where the owner will hopefully know the name. Thankyou to everybody for their wonderful suggestions!...Cheers, Dee.

o

Evelyn .I think it is a david austin.

o

Thu, Dec 29, 05 at 21:02

Thanks Calthrop but no, that isn't it either...Cheers, Dee.

o

Hi Dee. This Orange Rose is the darkest one I have I finally came across the pic I was searching for to show you how roses especially some Orange ones can change so much in a matter of days. You remember my Westerland Climbing Rose and how disapointed I was with the colour as I wanted it to be like day one most of its short life and it faded so quickly and that was in the Spring. Well I finally found the pic of day one and put the four days into a collage for you............Cheers..MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Four Days of Westerland.

o

Dee, when did you see it , how long ago, and where did you see it, to you was it old in age or possiblely old in plant, I hope this might help in the quest for it, the ORANGE rose. I will chuck in 2, "Liverpool Remembers" or "Remember Me". David

o

Fri, Dec 30, 05 at 20:29

MM...thankyou so much for the collage. Westerland was one that I had considered but looking at your pictures I realise that it is nothing like it really. It's a bit more 'frilly' than the one I saw and probably not dark enough. It's a lovely rose at all stages. How can you be disapointed with it? Thankyou for the trouble your went to. It makes a lovely collage, doesn't it?...................DAVID...Thanks for the two suggestions. No luck though. It was a deeper colour than either of those, almost brownish orange. That's what attracted me to it, the unusual colour. I saw it about a month ago in a shop in Belgrave (outer east Melbourne). It was a single bloom in a vase, so I really know nothing about it other than it was grown locally. Great help aren't I! LOL.....Cheers, Dee.

o

Dee, go back to the shop that had it and ask them where they obtained it from. This might help us, other wise known as "Sherlock Holmes" as a group to assist, David.

o

I did actually ask the woman in the shop what rose it was but she was not the owner and had no idea. I rang the shop the next day and asked the owner. She said it came from her Mother's home and she didn't know the name. Although she was polite, I got the distinct impression that she wasn't really interested in helping me. I didn't know it would be so hard to identify or I might have urged her to get the name and I could have called her back. Live and learn! LOL......Cheers, Dee.

o

Hot chocolate, Broadway, Monica, Edith Holden, Magic Fire, Lolita, Louis de Funes, Ian Thorpe. Trying to find shape and colour from 1 rose isnt easy so here is a few more to throw into the mix.

o

I have a rose that is very dark orange/brown in the bud but lightens as it opens-it is called Old Timer also known as Coppertone. regards sandie

o

Copper Gem, Dynasty, Royal Dane. A few more.

o

what about Woburn Aabbey, Zambra, Golden Slipper, Southhampton, Geraldine, Tony Jacklin
Good luck with your search

Deryn

o

Thankyou Lynne (twice) Sandie and Deryn. I have found photos of all the above, but alas, none are the mystery rose. I'm sure my memory of it is starting to fade which makes it even harder. I really do appreciate everyone's help.

Cheers,
Dee.

o

Here's one more rose - Louis de Funes. I love the gorgeous colour of this one, its one of my favourite garden roses. You might note that the picture appears in a gallery of yellow and orange roses if you wish to look through them and see if you recognise the mystery rose.

Von.

Here is a link that might be useful: Louis de Funes

o

Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 13:35

'Mrs.Sam McGredy'?

o

Tue, Jan 10, 06 at 21:46

Thanks Yvonne & Lozza, but no luck there.
Cheers.
Dee.

o

How about Brown Velvet or Colourbreak - from Sam McGredy?

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Velvet at HelpMeFind

o

Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 17:13

Thanks Steve, but no, that's not it.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

Thu, Jan 12, 06 at 21:33

I think you just like to say no. Where's your image???

o

Lozza,

I'm sorry, I don't have a picture, just a rapidly fading memory!

I really have to thank you all for your wonderful suggestions, but I think we will have to consider this case closed. I think it is probably becoming a little stale and boring for everyone except me.

Thanks again folks!
Cheers,
Dee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here