Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
triciac_gw

Can we get this forum going again? New growth both ways

triciac
16 years ago

I was really surprised to see how this forum, that was once the most exciting place to talk about roses, has gone down hill. How about we get it going again? I see quite a few of the old posters are still around, hello to all of you. Pete and I have just moved into a unit with a mostly concrete garden! We do have a border about 90 cm wide all round, and the second thing to go in will be the roses. The hyacinths, daffs, tulips, ranunculi and anemones were first, only because of the planting season. We have just ordered our first roses from Treloar's, can't wait until June to start them off. We have ordered the following HT's:-

Dolly Parton, Double Delight, Just Joey, Kardinal, Josephine Bruce.

David Austin's:- Grace, Pegasus, Teasing Georgia, but we only have space for a few climbers:- Amadeus, High Hopes, Peace and Gold Bunny.

We have gone from over 120 HT's, 20 climbers and dozens of mini's down to just the few named above. Some of them we have never tried before, some are old faithfuls. Now let us hear what you are planning to put in this year.

Comments (46)

• karima_2008
    16 years ago

hi triciac, yesterday i went to landsdale rose gardens in landsdale and got two new Austins, they are A shropshire lad and Crown princess margareta. Since i have a small strip of garden in my backyard ( about 90cm width, like yours)i actually chose CPM rose over Teasing Georgia, because i only had space for two more climbers.Do you think i made the correct choice? do you have any experience on growing the above mentioned roses?

karima

• triciac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Karima, Nice to meet you. I think your choices are lovely. Actually CPM would probably have been a better choice for me, but I had Teasing Georgia in mind to use as a climber behind a group of red HT roses. Now I have changed my mind about where they are to go so I am hoping that T.G. will sit next to Pegasus and fill up a small but tall side bed. I haven't had any of those we have spoken of. Previously I used Golden Celebration as a climber but although the perfume was to die for, it nodded a bit too much so I am hoping that the new ones won't. Still, with Austins we have to hope for the best as they seem to differ in different places. Always beautiful though. Am getting impatient waiting, everything prepared.

• karima_2008
    16 years ago

hi triciac,today i planted my two Austins in the garden and i can't wait to see A shropshire lad flowering, not to mention the CPM already has a flower but it is quite small, I thought CPM flowers were big.
    Few weeks back my husband bought some roses as an early anniversary gift they are Sharifa Asma, Abe, Pat Austin and Falstaff.
    Last summer i planted Graham Thomas, Golden cel and jubilee cel. The Graham Thomas is doing really well, with lots of tight buds and already reaching the top of my 1.8 metre colour bond fence.
    In vain, my camera has been given for repairs, otherwise i could have showed you some pictures.

karima

• triciac
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hi Karima,
    After reading your post, it seemed that CPM was a better choice for my space also, so I have changed my Pegasus, also ordered another two, 4th of July and Brass Band, neither are DA's. You will love Golden Celebration's perfume, also Sharifa Asma has the most beautiful perfume, delicate colour and a good grower too, quite tall. My Pat Austin took a good season to grow properly but the next year is was fabulous. Get your camera going soon as then we will be able to see all your beauties. You are lucky to get your roses so quickly, mine won't come till emd of May or even June

• triciac
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No it seems we can't get it going again so I'm off. Bye!

• maddy58
    15 years ago

Oh, don't give up, triciac! I have just found your post after also giving up on this forum for a while. And what is CPM? I'm intrigued.

• rosemeadow_gardener
    15 years ago

Hi Triciac, how is your rose planting going ? I have only just read your post very recently and now have been able to join Garden Web again. I am keen to come here often, so I hope you come back.
    I have been moving 118 roses out of a hot house because they were getting too much mildrew and insects over their leaves. The growth was fantastic but the leaves and the blooms become a disgusting mess when I squashed too many roses in together. I wasn't spraying with chemicals so in the end deceided to move them out into the fresh air with my other roses.
    I am very excited to see how these cut rose varieties grow outside and how they bloom and look.

• trancegemini_wa
    15 years ago

some of the most regular and knowledgable posters have moved to another forum after problems with this site, theyre at the forum below and it's a very friendly atmosphere there

Here is a link that might be useful: Australian Rose Gardening Forum

• jumbojimmy
    15 years ago

I agree.

We NEED to get this OZ rose forum going again. I usually hang around the American rose/ antique section here, but most of the time I felt left out because some of the roses the Americans have are not avaliable in Australia. Also we have different conditions to the UK/ USA.

I'm a member of two rose forums.

The first rose forum is provided by the nursery itself - (don't think I can name it here). I feel guilty for not buying roses from them, that's why I stopped using it.

The other rose forum was doing marvelously, but suddenly it's not working anymore - don't know what happened to that forum. At least the provider should have contacted us, and tell us what happened, but didn't.

• dak513
    15 years ago

I miss this site as well - as a lurker. It was great to come see your beautiful summer pics and hear the news in the middle of our winter. You've got some fabulous photographers over there.

• leyla
    14 years ago

Hello it has been more than 12 years since I have posted back then I had 700 roses and living in central Vic I lost a good deal of those roses due to the drought (plus the cattle) we have now moved (last year) to western Vic by the sea and brought what was left of my roses - all with hardly any root systems and stuck them in the ground here - well they have rewarded me with a heaps of flowers and they keep blooming - I have my first pair of gumboots in years and have ordered more roses - love to keep this forum going and only looked at the forum today as the outlook isn't so depressing and we have water I guess there are a lot like me with the ongoing drought don't want to know about what we miss out on and now point really
    but there is a lot of expertise out there to be used - I certainly learnt a lot in the past thru the forum
    Leyla

• triciac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well here we are again and this time I am really going to have to try harder. I have just found how to post from photobucket, although it seems a bit more complex than it was, still very good. So let us have another try. I have posted some roses on the photo site and hope a lot of our old friends will re-join us there. Good to hear from you all even if it is a long time in between.

• triciac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OK people where are you all. Go to have a look at the photo gallery and show us your roses. Remember it started off as a rose gallery but because someone objected Spike turned it to an all rounder so now there are some really nice pictures going on there.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Hello all,
    the forum has certainly died away. We have demolished our old house and much of the garden with it, but we're just planning the new layout and plantings now, so starting to get enthused about the garden once again.
    Tea roses and some old favourites will continue to feature and I'll probably focus on the tea roses and Alister Clarks, plus a few from Bishop's Lodge.
    Nice to see some of the old posters still about - even if only sporadically. I think there's a fundamental problem int he design of the site. Surely it would get going once again if they alerted you to new posts on the forum or in reply to threads you were watching.

• mistymorn
    13 years ago

Hi Snodge So good to hear from you with the latest news.

My roses here in Brisbane are a sorry mess I tell you, with droughts the first few years then flooding rains the next few I have lost quite a few to scale and just rotting in the soil where the water wont drain away even though they are planted in a raised bed..I feel also that with all the rain of the past few years they never stopped flowering so perhaps just wore themselves out..

Thinking of planting the roses bred here in Toowoomba for the Queensland climate will look into that when we come back from overseas in late August..

What no alert that's no good I looked on my Members Page and could not find anything either
    They have a Contact Us down the bottom of this page I will write and ask why.. Cheers Mary-Anne

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Hi Mary-Anne,
    sorry to hear of your trials with your roses. It has been hard with the drought hasn't it. Poor roses stressed to start with, then too much water! I have found some of my stuff - natives actually - that seemed to be doing Ok then when the rains came they just gave up and died.

For some of my roses, I thought they'd be clear of the house construction and arranged for the builders to connect the sewerage closer up the block to the house leaving the garden intact, but then the workers just went in and cleared right down to the boundary. Ah, well, it gives us fresh scope for planning, so there's always a bright side. I have already found an excuse to go through Hay to replace my favourite red rose, though I could have mail ordered them, I love Hay so was glad to go back again. More fun to pick them up sometimes. The gardens at bishops lodge are looking pretty sad and sorry. Though perhaps, being september it was a bit early for much of a show, it was very dry.
    I'm not familiar with the Toowoomba roses, I'd be interested in hearing more about them. I've got some quite sizeable beds on the drawing board. Just waiting for the next iteration of the landscape plans.

Where are you going OS? Any gardens on the itinerary?

• mistymorn
    13 years ago

Thank Snodge.. Going to the UK Wales mostly on the 14th June hubby Tony has wanted to go back for years to say his last goodbyes to all his family over there. Tony's was born in Goodwick/Fishguard Wales

Ohhh Yes I have plans of looking at lots of gardens if we have the time and last week Tony bought me a new camera and lens as he wants super pics of Wales landscapes.. We are Members of the National Trust of Queensland so are able to use our card for many places ( not all of them ) in the UK although many are buildings there are also some that are just gardens I like this one Bodnant Garden

Below is a link to the Roses nursery in Toowoomba, do you grow any if the thorn-less roses..

I have noticesd

Here is a link that might be useful: Brindabella Roses

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful trip, though I guess it might also be a bit sad for Tony if he feels it may be his last trip home.

Bodnant Garden looks lovely. I would love to visit the UK one day. Especially all the beautiful gardens and stately homes.. or just some of the wild country.

Hey, that Brindabella Bouquet sounds a bit of alright. No blackspot in 4 years in humid climate and more flowers than iceberg and they say a genuine strong perfume.. sounds too good to be true!

• mistymorn
    13 years ago

Yes sad I know Snodge and I think Tony looks at it like this, Australia is home and Wales is where his family lives he has lived here for 45 yrs.

I agree Brindabella Bouquet does sound too good to be true so I will check out the roses at that park in New Farm before I think of buying any.
    May leave it till the heat of Summer is over and plant then, that is if I decide I will get more roses.

I sent a contact email to GW on May 24th about alert emails and no reply as yet, why does that not surprise me..

• Hunty
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I want to get this place running again. After years of drought we deserve to put those roses to be beautiful again. I lost some of my roses to the drought. But now I am getting them back on track. I shall report on their development.
    Cheers,
    Hunty

• triciac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well hello again all of our lovely older and newer posters. This has been really great to see you are really interested in getting the Roses in Oz Forum and the other site where we can post pictures. I have put on a fair amount of the roses in our new little house and dearly wish that you would all come over there and have a look and perhaps even be good enough to reply.

• leyla
    13 years ago

Lovely to catch up on the news - just had my first lot of roses arrive today from Thomas for Roses SA wonderful as always -wish I could order her entire list - there is absolutely everything there. Have not caught up with pruning yet as it has been TOO WET what a lovely change - although I do understand too much is too much!!!
    keep up the posts and when I work out re uploading photos I will add some

• triciac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Leyla, lucky you, I just wish Ihad more space to put in more, but hey, that is why we moved because I couldn't handle all the ones we had!! Du oh!!

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Hi everyone,
    sorry I dropped off there for a while, my father died not long after my last post and I've been a bit busy and preoccupied with things relating to that and the inevitable emotional consequences.
    We're still not really able to get stuck into the garden as we are still trying to resolve a legal dispute with the landscapers we engaged for our new house. Looks like that will run to the end of the year.
    this weekend though, I have put up a changing desktop on our PC. it includes a lot of pictures that my daughter took in our old garden. i thought it might help cheer me up and inspire me to get enthused about getting the garden back on track. The drought was savage but my tea roses have been outstanding. I recall Lozza used to say on the forums that tea roses were the way to go. I enjoyed experimenting for myself, but boy, he was really right about that.
    I had some lovely Alister Clarkes too, just getting established. Would you believe I actually had editor Stewart stolen during construction! What a lovely rose that is. They also stole my papa meilland. Anyway, I must go to sleep and my laptop is telling me my battery is about to die. I look forward to looking at your photos and drawing inspiration from them!
    Great to see people back on the forums more recently. Talk to you soon!
    Nighty night all. :o)

• triciac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Snodge,
    Please accept our condolences on the departure to heaven of your dad. Sorry not to have acknowledged this before but have been away for a couple of days.
    Can't believe that people are stealing things from your garden, rotten creeps, I hope the roses don't survive in their garden. Keep posting in, it is good to hear from you.

• jessamy
    13 years ago

Snodge if Editor Stewart grows from Cutting I have one here ready to prune.. I can send you HEAPS..

Fran

• jessamy
    13 years ago

Yes and with pruning time in full swing there's plenty to talk aobut!

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

I see this message dates from Anzac Day. Yes, pity there isn't much action in this Aussie rose forum. I love roses too and have just done a winter move of my lot; a bit over a dozen, I think, and am planning an extension to the bed for next season. I've a mixed lot, some modern day hybrids - Meiland's 'Seduction' being the best - and some heritage. The best of those in my climatic zone (US Zone 10)so far seem to be Rugosa roses - Rugosa scabrosa and Frau Dagmar Halstrup are particularly happy. Currently beginning to flower after the move about a month ago is Canary Bird, not a rugosa but a tall, gracefull, red stemmed, single buttercup yellow that I purchased via mail-order last season. Unfortunately it isn't a repeat flowerer but the flower is certainly worth waiting for; it is gorgeous! New roses in this season are David Austin's 'Happy Child' and the musk, 'Ballerina', mail-ordered from Treloar Roses; a couple of toughies I'll trial over summer to see how they go. As well as the rugosas' David Austins' seem to do well here just west of Tweed Heads, NSW. The great benefit of heritage varieties are their disease free toughness - no blackspot and aphids don't seem like the taste of their juices.
    Anyway, I'll call back here to see if any one responds. Happy gardening to all.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Hi Fran,

thanks for your kind offer! Sorry it's been a while for my reply it's been one thing after the other here. I guess predictable, since I took my eye off the ball and wasn't OK to drive far when dad died, but now my mother in law is in the midst of a health crisis. Sigh.
    Probably I couldn't make best advantage of your offer just now as I'm so distracted and the garden/pots have been getting scant attention. I appreciate the offer though. :o)

• auntyeverlasting
    13 years ago

Hi All
    I am new to this forum so first of all want to say hello...
    I hope this does get going again, because I have lots of questions I want to ask!
    I just transplanted 20 rosebushes which were dying in a friends garden. So far, looking good!
    I just need to work out how to post my own topic.
    Eva

• mistymorn
    13 years ago

Hi Eva

To post your own topic, go to the start of the Roses Forum.
    Keep scrolling down to the bottom of the page past all the messages till you see *Post a Message to the Forum* and type away..

And Welcome to GW.. Mary-Anne

• auntyeverlasting
    13 years ago

Thanks for the welcome Mary-Anne!

I have spent hours going through old posts on the forum. Such a pity it seems to have petered out.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Well, triciac, you started something way back there on ANZAC day last. I posted a response 5 messages ago and am wondering if anyone read it! You started up responses, I got none! Anyway, all my replants are now in new season leaf and coming along nicely - have to watch the blackspot though, and the aphids and even scales; 'Anne Endt' suffers a bit from that. I've also added some minatures roses picked up on 'special' from Big W and a few from Bunnings around he edges and they too, seem to like the new season. We've had a cool winter here in the NSW Northern Rivers district and the roses seem to have appreciated it. Happy rose growing to all.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Back for a little rosey therapy. I see I neglected to thank you triciac for your condolences.. they were very much appreciated I assure you.

Funnelweb, your garden sounds likes it's coming along nicely. Do you have any tea roses? they are the ones that do best for me. Most are covered in beautiful red new growth at the moment. Very easy and trouble free. Our annis horribilis continues and so there's nothing at all doing in my garden at the moment. I'm hoping we're forging full steam ahead by next winter! Though I think I will try to get out in the bush garden that I know will stay where it is and tidy up a bit.
    Anyway, got a full on day with case conferences with hospital social worker for my mother in law, so best dash.. thinking of you all
    S

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Hiya snodge.
    Only Rosa Buccaneer. A yellow I bought from Big W this season. I'm trialing it, it's had 2 flowers so far, which are very nice, and to date it seems free of the usual maladies. Hope your mother-in-law is ok!

• Snodge
    13 years ago

It's always exciting waiting to see how a new acquisition is going to perform isn't it.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Yep, it sure is, snodge, you know I decided on the name 'funnelweb' back when I was gardening one day at Allambie Heights and was sifting (riddleing) through some bush soil down the back and using my hand to help screed it through the riddle. As I was about to hand-crush a few clods I looked down and slowly ushered the late Graham Kennedy's old crow call as I spied a magnificent shiny-black Sydney male funnelweb rearing up on its hind legs baring a pair of venom dripping fangs just waiting for my hand. I nearly died of freight I can tell you. I didn't kill it, just took him away to a quiet and dense part of the garden and let him go on his way.
    On roses, yeah, in my new rose garden this morning - over winter I removed them all to a new spot - Frau Dagmar Halstrup has a couple of gorgeous new silvery-pink blooms, and about a dozen more maturing buds. And David's Austin's 'Sophies Rose' has it's first flower, a lovely one is that; and Canary Bird, too, with a flush of daffodil yellow single flowers against it's red stems is stunning. Also this season's couple of newbies are full of new leaf and the others are budding up nicely.
    Spring is here ay.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

yes, its is certainly feeling like spring now. My flowers are bit behind yours, but I noticed this morning that my rock orchids have long spikes out....even one I bought really tiny and that has not been happy enough until now. Now I know for sure what I'm going to do in that spot where the orchid pots are sitting!! The orchids can stay there!

Allambie Heights has such a reputation for funnel webs! You know I've never ever seen a wild funnel web, and everyone I know who has... has lived in Allambie Heights! I tell you what an experience such as yours would surely get the gizzards in a twist! ...geez was it in the days before they had the antivenom? I still remember the general relief and excitement when they announced they'd finally cracked it. I seem to recall I was at the upper end of high school and it hadn't been all that long since someone had died from a bite.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Well, you know, the gissards in a twist; certainly frightening but oddly enough admiration too at the perfection of such a creature. I may use some insecticides for the benefit of my plants - scales in particular, aphids, funguses; but spiders, snakes, geckos, lizards, birds, whatever is native to this land, I have never, and hope I never will have occasion to kill. We all have our place, and in my garden they more than I - they are native to the land, I am not. Another example: Yesterday, early morning, I was on my morning garden wander enjoying the first rays of the warm new spring sunshine when a sudden movement along my garden path propt me motionless: a metre or more long, fit and in the prime of life a very healthy king brown snake, one of the world deadliest. As usual (I do encounter the odd one occasionally) it sensed me well before I would have spotted him (or her). It rusteled the mulch in its haste to get out of my way and stopped about 3 metres further on on a clear patch to get its bearings and assess any threat. I was safe, it was secure. I watched it for a minuite or two then blinked and it was gone! So very fast it's absolutely astounding. I don't kill them, I don't really fear them, because I know they will detect me long before I detect them and as I'm bigger and more of a threat to them than the reverse. I live in a semi-rural area and must live with all the native wildlife. Wild cats, mind you, I hate and if I could I would have no hesitation in killing them. What angers me is folks that move here who bring in pets and let them run wild - cats and dogs - and they couldn't care less, in fact they expect them to have the 'occasional' kill.
    A wild Sydney Northern Beaches male funnel-web spider is a creature that really does get the adrenaline flowing, it's beauty and perfection can strike instant fear. Like snakes, though, they do not want to tangle with humans or any creature bigger than itself - it will only attack in self defence.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Funnelweb, I like your approach! We have a similar attitude. I remember a few years ago we had a snake in the backyard. I only saw it partially once in the old chook shed as it scuttled away very quickly. I thought "god what the heck is that" and then figured it must have been a blue tongue as we had quite a few of those. Then one day my son's school friend was here and they got a good look at it. The friend was all for killing it as he used to live on acreage down around Berry and reckoned that when it gets to breeding season they (snakes) get agressive.. but I reckoned it wasn't doing anyone any harm and indeed it had only even been seen the once, and frankly, I'm flattered it likes our place, so I issued a protection order for it. we have some frogs and some water and the old chook shed has a nice northerly facing concrete floor and stuff in it to hide under. Sounds like pretty good snake apartments really! There used to be an aviary and chooks in nearby yards, and these attracted the mice, but those are gone, so the food supply may not be what it once was, and I don't think snakey is till around.
    I have been doing a project re family photos recently and had a disappointment. We have an old family story about my grandfather walking along and stepping in a taipan which was curled up asleep minding its own business in the long grass. Snake jumped up into the air in fright. Granfather jumped up into the air in fright.. the family story went that snake went one way, grandfather the other.. but then going through my mothers photo album, there's a photo of my grandfather holding up a dead snake. Mum says, yeah, that IS the snake from the story. .... sniff... I liked that story better when I thought the snake lived to tell the tale.
    As far as I know the only fauna permanently living in the old chook shed at the moment is a rather large and impressive red back. When I found her she was a beautiful specimen. Red backs made excellent pets. They are quiet, timid and provide food for blue tongues. Sure you don't want to go sticking your finger in their gob, but I reckon that's about what you'd need to do to rile one up.. and im our experience the red backs aren't stupid, they do their best to choose places you don't interfere with too much and set up their web out of the way there. They are lovely little creatures.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Thank you snodge, I loved your grandfather story, but hey, how many people - rural or cityfolk - have a penchant to kill every snake or spider they see? I must admit though, around the top lip of my pool last summer a large number of redbacks took up residence and as I and my grandkids (who visit at Christmas, and yep I'm aging) swim up and down and grab the lip at any point I had to dispose of them. My only real drama with a snake was a few years ago when I was coming out the door of my work-shop (carpentry, tool shed, etc.) one day and spotted a big brown making its way across the lawn towards the door. It stopped on seeing me; I waved my arms to scare it; it turned and headed off towards the neighbours. I chased it keeping a safe distance. About three quarters of the way towards the fence-line it thought (I think) 'Bloody hell, I'm a scary brown snake! what am I running away for?' It turned and headed back towards me. Another Grahem Kennedy crow call and I backed off quickly keeping an eye on it. The snake hesitated then turned around and continued at its own pace toards the fence - just a wire strung between posts - and into the neighbours; well I certainly didn't want it in my workshop. The only other creatures I dispose of are cane-toads; they're just not suited to this environment, but in recent years I've seen magpies ripping them apart - seems they've learned how to disembowel them avoiding their toxins.
    On my roses, I don't think I have an old world Tea, but after looking them up I'll be looking for one or two around the mail-order suppliers next season. I do like 'Homere' and one or two others I found on the internet, so there's a must down the track. Well, I'll go look see if you've left a response in other messages.

• triciac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well those are some fantastic stories. I must say I am terrified of both spiders and snakes. I remember our very first day of arrival in Australia in 1957, it was 104.5F I think that is well above 40C. The bungalow we had rented which we thought was going to be a house, turned out to be a garage that the owners had furnished. The dunny was outside, as was the water. I had need to go to the dunny about 10pm, I went to turn on the light (didn't know there wasn't one in the dunny) and what I thought was the switch, suddenly moved! I screamed - it was the biggest tarantula spider I had ever seen, The owners of the house came to my rescue saying, "Don't worry about that, it is only George, we keep him in there to keep down the flies". I have seen hundreds of them since but still can't get over my fear of something that moves so fast.
    Isn't it great that here we are over two years since I started this post, and it is still going. Do you think we should start a new one?
    Hope everything is now settled with your M.I.L. Snodge, that your roses have started to flower and your gardening problems have been solved. Let us know.
    Funnelweb, nice to have you around to cheer the place up a bit. My sister lives on the Tweed and doesn't seem to have any trouble growing anything she wants up there.
    As for us here in Geelong, my roses are looking wonderful, budding up all over the place, one spray of Rogor systemic spray has kept he aphids down and now just waiting for a bit of sunshine to bring them on. Hope Maryann is back now and that she had a wonderful holiday. Must go an look at other posts and pictures.

• Snodge
    13 years ago

Hi TriciaC,
    thanks for the kind thoughts re MIL. She was in and out of hospital for about a month, and spend about 10 days in a nice hostel before finally being readmitted to hospital and passing away. She seemed to settle into the hostel really well, and was very popular. she was a very social person, but had become increasingly isolated in her flat. I guess one of our big regrets is that she didn't choose to go to an assisted living arrangement a few years sooner. Her quality of life would have been so much higher as her health deteriorated. Oh well. She's at peace now.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

Well, that is sad, Snodge. As for the Rogor, TriciaC, yes, gets rid of the aphids ok, I mix it with Triphorine to get rid of the blackspot fungus, but don't tell anyone, folks these days don't like you useing systemic insecticides on account of they might kill a few 'friendlies'. In my opinion they are the only chemicals that work, and I've never found the eco-friendly mixes make much of an impact on the badies anyway. Sure you can mix up various vegetable oils and used kitchen oils and pyrethrums but you have to keep at it and make sure you cover ever bit of leaf and stem. The systemics work and I've found I've never had to use them too often. Oh, and also they keep azalea lace-bug at bay as well as any number of scales and mealy bugs. If I couldn't occasionally use them I'd pull out the roses and the azaleas, be a waste of time trying them otherwise in our humid east-coast conditions. Oh, and also, the old favourite sulphur-lime mix in winter makes a big impact on blackspot in roses - and I think that's a eco-friendly - in June/July after your winter rose prune, mix it up and pour it over bush and soil, expecially soil, kills off the fungal spores wintering over. Stinks a bit, though.

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

"Relationships, Share stories, Pregnancies and Parenting, connecting with mums like you'? Written all over this page, where the hell is the administrator? Do they expect users of Garden Web to put up with this? I can't read the messages!

• triciac
    Original Author
    13 years ago

No you have to press the X button to get rid of them. Who'd have thought they would do such advertising on a rose forum? Anyway, I have backed you up on your other posting but I really don't think the administrator reads these posts unless they are porno or some such.
    My first Kardinal rose is out, every plant is full of buds Lots of clematis were in flower too but my darling new puppy has decided she likes the taste of any plant in the garden and has chewed off all the new and old shoots that were coming along nicely on the clematis, eaten the Arabs Eye and Iris (made herself sick doing it) She is worse than the insects for killing things off.