Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hester_gw

Roses in Shade Houses

hester
18 years ago

I know roses do best in full sun however I have just moved into a new home with a big open backyard. As I live in a very windy part of Australia and the wind is atrocious at times, I was wondering if I had a lean to type shade house along an east facing wall with the lightest of shade cloth covering it and plenty of ventilation, how well would roses grow in such an environment. Any help or advice appreciated.

Comments (4)

• frannyfrip
    18 years ago

I've grown many roses along the eastern side of the house - not under shadecloth though. Had no trouble with them flowering. There was no direct sun after about 11 but plenty of bright light and no tree canopy blocking it. And you will have plenty of ventilation by the sound of it. Go for it. Tom or someone might be able to suggest varieties that can handle the wind. Good luck.

• tom_pariz
    18 years ago

Which roses to grow in Geraldton? Beautiful place, but yes, notoriously windy!

Hybrid Teas: long blooming canes will break. So they need support. Because HTs are tall, every rose needs support: 2 or 3 tall sticks around, then encircled with tape. Can you handle that?

Old garden roses: Many OGRs won't fit there because their wooden canes break easier in strong wind. BUT, you can go for Rugosas, for example. They're recommended for such situations. Even if you go for OGRs, they'll need extra, extra support, similar to HTs from above. But because they have wide and better shaped bush, OGRs won't be tied up with elastic tape -- you'll need few sticks around your bush individually supporting all those fragile canes. Better grow OGRs as climbers, close to wall/fence.

Floribundas, Polyanthas, small English roses, Delbards, etc: much better solution. Plant them in groups, not more than 40cm away from each other, zig-zag. They will form compact and sturdy, win-resistant rosebed.

Climbers? Yes, but those with flexible canes. Some nice climbing floribundas or Noisette, or tall English rose will be great. Some ramblers too. For shady areas, ramblers are perfect... In any case, just tie them well on the fence. Stretch some extra wire lines on the wall, then plant roses. As they grow, just tie them on wire. Many OGRs can be used as climbers and because they'll have extra support, you can try them too.

Hope this gives some useful hints.

- Tom

• cimmaron
    18 years ago

Hey Hester-I lived in Geraldton and Dongara through my wild teenage years. :)
    I loved those trees on the Dongara flats-the ones that are virtually horizontal.
    In Geraldton your roses won't need or even want full exposure to the sun-all you will get is instant potpourri.
    Tom has some great suggestions there and also you can 'trial and error' some roses to see how they handle the situation.
    Did you have any particular ones in mind?
    If not have you any colour preferences?
    We can make suggestions for you to consider.
    regards
    sandie

• hester
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Many thanks to Franny, Tom and Sandie for all your good advice. Franny you have given me hope that my idea might work. Tom you have given me lots of ideas and yes Geraldton is a great place with the wind the only problem but you learn to live with it. Sandie those horizontal trees on the Dongara flats are still there - probably just a bit more horizontal?? I will probably go for the general well known roses - I did have them growing quite successfully in our old home but they had a much more protected spot there. Will hope for the best and thanks once again.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus