Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dnnaa

Weed Killer Comments

dnnaa
20 years ago

Dear Learned Ones

I have installed some large areas of mulch prior to planting what will be mainly native trees shrubs and bushes. As you will know, some of the underlying weeds (maily couch grasses) has pushed their way through the mulch in an increasingly annoying manner despite a rigourous extermination campaign prior to mulching. Can anyone suggest a weed killer that I can use in the viscinity of young native that will kill these weeds but won't leave long lasting residues etc that may damage future plantings.

Comments (7)

• Daz2
    20 years ago

Roundup will do the trick for you Dnnaa.....with no residual left to worry you . If other plants are near either cover them - or use a mask for your spray so that it only goes where you want it.
    It is a contact killer.

Daz.

• sterculias
    20 years ago

Glyphosate is the way to go. 150ml to 10 litres of water is the recommended rate for couch. Another way to protect young plants is to put an upturned pot or suitable sized container over the plant while you spray. Supermarket bags also work well.

Doug.

• dnnaa
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Many Thanks. I will embark on a weed pogrom this week end

• JonOl_S
    20 years ago

Masking as suggested works well and also a safe way is to brush on the glyphosate directly to the offending plants.
    It is also important to remember that it should be used on actively growing leaves for best effect
    John

• Raymondo
    20 years ago

Brands versus generics. When I shop for any kind of chemical I first find out the generic or chemical name of the thing I'm after then look at all the brands which contain this chemical to see which is the cheapest.
    As an example, Panadol is a brand name and Paracetamol is the generic name so look for things with Paracetamol at the strength required.
    Another example, perhaps closer to home is Glyphosate. Roundup, Zero etc all contain Glyphosate as the active ingredient. There are quite a few brands around almost all of which are cheaper than Roundup.
    Shop around and don't be fooled by marketing hype!

• Robert_NSW
    20 years ago

It is always best to cover the soil with some layers of paper or something similar before the mulch goes down. I always put down thick layers of newspaper or cardboard under the mulch. It tends to control most weeds including Couch. Because I worry about water not penetrating before the paper decomposes, I make the paper thinner near the planting zone and sometimes leave gaps, knowing I will have to deal with some weeds working their way through the mulch. I also use Glysophate.

• bird_valley
    20 years ago

Depending on how deep the root system of your couch is, glyphosate may not be enough to kill the roots off entirely. Runners may brown off and you'll think it's dead but either a month or two later, or next season, it comes back from deep rhizomes This has been my experience where the weather is warm and the area gets plenty of sunshine.

Fusilade worked a treat for me. Fusilade II would be even better if you could get it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fusilade herbicide