Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maggots in Echium

Posted by ymfoster Melb. Vic. Aust (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 11, 09 at 8:12

My Echium Candicans (Pride of Madiera) had flies hanging around the new growth & has black gooey muck in the centre of new shoots, & on probing with a twig I found what looks like maggots buried in the stems !

Does anyone know of a similar problem & what I should spray with ?

Any help much appreciated,

Yvonne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maggots in Echium

Hi Yvonne, I have just found the same in my Echium Candicans. Also small Beetles seen and small round holes in leaves. I have snapped some of the new growth off, which is where the infestation seems to be but very disappointing because this is where the flowers were developing.
Have you treated yours?
Joy

This post was edited by yoj1 on Sun, May 18, 14 at 5:40

o
RE: Maggots in Echium

I'm in Adelaide and I have the same thing on my echium. I had it last year as well. It rots the tips of the stems and they just break off easily, and the maggots are inside. I have tried Confidor and Pest Oil but as I only did it today I'll have to wait and see if either of them works. I couldn't find anyone who'd heard of it, and this is the first mention I've seen of it on the net, so I'd be really interested if anyone knows what it is and how to treat it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here