SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherax

FNQ suitability?

cherax
19 years ago

Hello all,

I have a question that a few of the folk in far north queensland maybe able to help me with........

There is a strong possibility that I will be moving to Cairns and I question the suitability of some orchid species. Got most sorted though there are question marks over a few and would like to hear peoples feedback on their ability to survive the climate. They are as follows:

Cymbidiums (very dodgy?)

Stanhopea tigrina/nigroviolacea

Encyclia prismatocarpa

Brassia

Many thanks in advance

andrew

Comments (3)

• CoralCoast_Tropicals
    19 years ago

Andrew,

I was living in Cairns up to around just over 4 years ago. Cymbidiums are a waste of time (as they are along the whole Queensland coast). There are a couple of miniature Cymbidiums that do survive and flower in Cairns. I have seen Brassias and Stanhopeas growing up there but they may need some shelter from the wet season rain to avoid them rotting. To be safe grow what I grow, Cattleyas, hardcane dendrobiums and Vandas. Enjoy the north.

Andrew.

• pilotkh4
    19 years ago

Hello Andrew,
    I am in Nhulunbuy N.T. at the N.W. tip of the Gulf, not F.N.Q but certainly similar climate. I was in Mossman recently and came across a heartbroken lady who had moved all her cymbidiums and Stanhopeas up from NSW. All were beautiful big plants but she didn't hold much hope for them
    I grow Stanhopeas up here, some of the lowlanders seem to do better but Tigrina will flower if you give it plenty of air movement. They seem to love frangipani trees. Haven't had much luck with S. nigroviolacea. I don't grow Brassias or Encyclas though my wife has a few hybrids which do alright.
    I grow Vandas (they love it here) hard cane dendrobes, mostly FNQ and N.T. species, dockrillias and miniature dendrobes, lots of bulbophyllums, native cymbids (canaliculatum and suave), phaleanopsis and some species cattleyas. FNQ is a great place for orchids but you may have to leave the cymbidiums behind.
    I hope this helps,
    Regards and happy New Year,
    Brendon

• cherax
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Andrew & Brendon,
    thanks for your thoughts.
    They summed up my suspicions pretty well.
    Looks like (for some) build a sheltered shadehouse!
    thanks again
    A

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus