Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lillypilly_gw

Wilga - Geijera parvifolia

lillypilly
18 years ago

Wilga is a tough little tree with weeping branches and sprays of white flowers in spring. It survives on my property with nothing but rainfall - and we havn't had much of that inland. I have read that it is excellent stock fodder, and that it is listed as 'endangered'. Does anyone have any experience in propagating this lovely native tree?

Comments (7)

• justcorreas
    18 years ago

Hi Lillypilly - I haven't had anything to do with the Wilga, but in Australian Native Plants by Wrigley & Fagg, it mentions propagation by cuttings (with difficulty). It would probably be a good time now to take cuttings and give it a try. I would also try a few cuttings with a plant hormone powder IBA3000ppm to IBA7000ppm seeing as it is hard to strike.

It looks like a very nice small tree.

• justcorreas
    18 years ago

Geijera parviflora. Alec Blombery writes in his book Australian Native Plants about this variety being able to be grown from seed, but also mentions the difficulty. He states that propagation by cuttings may be carried out - but is slow.

Looks like a challenge to propagate this form but I'd be interested in getting a couple of cuttings if you'd oblige and have a go. They are a member of the rutaceae family like the correa's I grow.

My e-mail contact is on my web page.

• sandra4006
    16 years ago

Yes, difficult in all ways to grrow from seed or propagation. Wilga is related to citrus so may well be good as a feed tree as it grows in all types if soil and under most conditions. Contact NSW Forestry at Pennant Hills as I got my tube stock Wilga from there.

• mallee
    16 years ago

Murray Ralph's book 'Growing Australian Native Plants from Seed' (latest edition) has this info which may help.
    'The hard seed coat contains chemical inhibitors. For G parvifolia the hard seed coat should be fractured under pressure then totally removed. Soaking in warm water (20-25C) has also been recommended as a general treatment for all of the species.'

The thought I had is that if it is difficult to propagate on its own roots, to try grafting. Other members of the rutacea group would need to be used as the root stock.

• trish_g
    16 years ago

I haven't done it myself, but am told that a successful way to grow this somewhat difficult plant is to search under the existing bushes for newly germinated seedlings, and transplant them together with some of the soil they are growing in. Water and mulch generously until well established. If you have them on your place this option might be open to you. I'm surprised to hear that it's endangered, but this may be a reference to the state of affairs in your part of Australia, not here in inland SE Qld.
    I agree with you that it's a lovely plant and highly underestimated as a garden specimen. We should be seeing it all over the place as it is a good screen, can be left on its own to be a dense round shrub, or pruned to an attractive, shady little tree suitable for a suburban garden or a street tree under wires. It's so tough and drought hardy, yet is a nice fresh shade of green.
    Good luck with your propagation offorts.
    Trish

• gonow
    16 years ago

I haven't tried to propagate it but the way you see young trees clustered around under eucs suggests the seeds have passed thru birds. Sooo first find yourself some seeds and a bird!

• native_jim
    16 years ago

Some members of the Rutaceae don't respond well to rooting hormones, I'm not sure if this does or not. Maybe have a couple of pots if propagating via cutting - one with the hormone, one without it, and see how you go.