Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raymondo_gw

Cardamom and Star Anise

Raymondo
20 years ago

Has anyone tried to grow these from seed? I bought some seeds in an Indian spice shop and would like to give them a go. Anything special I need to do? Soaking, scarification, stratification ... ? Or can I just pop them into seedling trays?

Comments (16)

• Raymondo
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Right, I'll put some seed in a seed tray and see what happens. Will put up a post if succesful.

• andy_sa
    20 years ago

Ray - sorry to put a dampner on things - if the cardamon pods are green, then they're unripe.
    I've got some black cardamon (a different species), and presumably they're ripe (if anyone knows any different, please let me know), so I'll give them a try.
    As for star anise, I read that the seed pods should be picked while still green, although the seeds in some of the ones I've bought as spice look pretty ripe.
    Wouldn't think they need any special treatment, just moisture and warmth.
    Let us know how you go.

• JamusOwlwise
    20 years ago

Andy_SA - not so. Green Cardamom is Elettaria cardamomum, it's green when mature and you can buy the plants from nurseries around Adelaide that stock a decent selection of herbs. (Hillside Herbs @ McLaren Vale).

Black cardamom is a different genus and species; Amomum subulatum.

They are both zingiberaceae (ginger family). I've never seen Black cardamom growing, but I have a green cardamom plant in my garden. Apparently it's not suficiently hot or tropical in Adelaide for them to set fruit, but they grow as an interesting talking point in the garden. I don't think the seed from Cardamom bought as a spice would be viable, though I'm not sure... you could try it!

Star Anise is a very interesting plant. It's a beautiful tree from South China and Vietnam, no longer known in the wild, only in cultivation. It's a tropical tree of the family Illiciaceae. This is a very ancient group of plants most closely related to Magnolias (same sub-class). I have serious doubt that you could get the seed to germinate, or the tree to grow here for that matter. If I was going to try I would scratch the hard seed coat and steep the seed in boiling water before planting in sterile seed raising mix, then cover the pot with plastic to maintain a warm humid environment. If it germinates PANIC! You'll need a glasshouse to keep it happy.

There are some other members of the family, ie. Illicium floridanum which grow in cooler climates, they are however toxic.

• rivermint
    20 years ago

I had green cardamom for a few years in a big pot until I forgot to pull it under cover during last years frost. As with JamusOwlwise above - no flowers or seed on mine, nor did it grow very tall, only about 60cm, not hot enough I think. However the leaves can be used in cooking, for flavor, like bay leaves. Use to wrap meat/veg whilst cooking or infuse in a custard etc. I got creative and steeped leaves in brandy to make an excellent 'cardamom essence'( if I do say so myself ). Is also lovely in a spicy potpourri.
    Has your seed germinated Raymondo? I would love to replace my potted specimen and will go 'spice shopping' in the supermarket if so. Jus.

• Raymondo
    Original Author
    20 years ago

No, the seeds didn't germinate but I'm going to try again. I don't see why they shouldn't. I may have planted immature seed and I only planted half a dozen. I'm talking about the Cardamom here. I'll plant a lot more this time. The warmer weather may help. As for the Star Anise I'll follow JamusOwlwise's advice and scarify the seed and soak it. The seed coating is incredibly hard.

• Nicki_S
    19 years ago

Hey, how did you go? I'm about to have a go at both myself.
    Does anyone know if you can germinate vanilla from dried beans sold for culinary use?

• Jamus_S
    19 years ago

Hi Nicki. No you can't unfortunately. The vanilla pods have been through a horrendus process to produce the best flavour in them. There are a few places selling vanilla mail order. I have a small plant myself but it hasn't grown more than about a centimetre in 2 years!

try All Rare Herbs - Mapleton Qld. You have to call him and ask for a catalogue on:- (07) 5446 9243.

As for the cardamom, I'd LOVE to get it growing from seed. I should take some seed to work and process them there (Plant science laboratory). They are tricky little buggers.

• Nicki_S
    19 years ago

Hi Jamus,
    Shame, I'll have to hunt around and get some good seeds - will try All Rare Herbs. Don't know if I have a chance of growing it down here anyway, but the challenge is irresistable!
    Likewise the cardamom - what would you do with the seeds in the lab?

• Jamus_S
    19 years ago

Nicki - I looked up online how they germinate them in commercial nurseries to start plants from seed. The seed are treated with nitric acid (nitric acid, 50%, 5-10 min or hydrochloric acid, 50%, 5-10 min), washed thoroughly and then maintained in an incubator at constant temperature 25degrees C for three months. The trouble with such long germination times is the danger of bacterial and fungal infection causing the seeds to rot, so I'd do it in sterile tissue culture conditions, which requires the use of an autoclave for sterilising media and a laminar flow cabinet, which keeps everything sterile while handling and sowing the seeds. In nature cardamom may pass through the gut of some animal eating the fruit therefore may have evolved this requirement for germination.

Regarding the vanilla, what they will sell you will be a cutting, not seed, so you get a head start! Grown as an indoor plant on a sunny windowsill would be a good place to try.

• longtravel
    17 years ago

I have been growing a green cardamom plant from seed indoor for 8 years (now 2006). Three years ago I put it out in my back green here in Edinburgh for the summer to benefit from more direct sunlight. It so happened that I have forgotten to take in before the onset of late autumn 2003. I remembered only after the first hard frost that it is still outside... I panicked!!!! and went to the back garden to inspect it. BIG SURPRISE!! it was not affected by the frost....SO I decided to leave it out for another frost, by way of double checking. To cut the story short: I kept it outside in the back garden for the rest of that winter and for the following winter, both of which have witnessed a few hard frosts and even snow. I would say the worst frost in the back green was minus 6-7 Celsius. The only effect on it was stunted growth. I took it indoor this year. Now it is happier that ever producing healthy aromatic green leaves. Conclusion: Infrequent frosts down to minus 7 did not kill it although it is potted in a 7-inch glazed earth-ware pot which would have been penetrated by such frost. I'll happily send anyone willing to try it a root division to test it themselves in similar/different climatic conditions.

• recher
    16 years ago

no one knows of any star anise plants in Oz. All my attempts at growing from bought store seed failed.

• killawale3950_hotmail_com
    13 years ago

I've just got store-bought star anise to germinate! more through sheer force of will than anything lol, I soaked them for days in tap water which I changed twice a day to keep it fresh, took 5 days but they all had that telltale little white growth poking out and so I've planted them in seed raising mix in the greenhouse, the first of which has just poked it's head through, not sure if the days of presoaking is what did it but every other time I've tried sowing direct they've failed. hope this helps. Happy Gardening!

• jan_pracko_gmail_com
    13 years ago

Hi Jonas

Is it possible to send me some plants of true star anise from Vietnam ?
    I'd like to cultivate it.
    Thanks
    jan

• susansouissi_hotmail_com
    12 years ago

Very interested to grow the star anise especially. As I m living in a tropical/ ot mediterranean climate, I m keen to have a go esp. with the star anise, and will try the scarifying & boiling water method suggested, with shop bought seeds. If any one knows a good source of the original seeds, that may accept this treatment, let me know. I d be happy to send any successful seeds- or other tropical seeds( variable ) in small quants.,to reciprocate. Or let me know any questions about the range of unusual plants that can grow in this climate.People try all sorts here.

• fluffybonbon
    10 years ago

Hi all, I knew this thread is pretty old but am curious about growing Star Anise got from store.
    Can star anise to germinate?
    Thanks for any feedback.