Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lemon Peel good for you???

Posted by betty_the_villages Central Florida (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 1, 06 at 17:31

Does anyone know if it is safe to juice lemons with the peel on and make lemonade to drink? Will it do any harm to your body?
Betty in Florida

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lemon Peel good for you???

Lemon peel is edible and quite safe to eat. Trouble is, that too much of it will add bitterness, especially if you leave on the white pith. I think you'd be better off just adding a strip or two of the rind to your jug of juice for lemonade, then removing the pith from the remainder, grating it, and freezing it for addition to other dishes. Lemon peel has a wide range of uses, from mixing in with butter to serve with fish, to adding to the mixture for lemon meringue pies, or to cake or muffin batters, or to icings for cakes, or to a whole heap of savoury dishes.

Ditto for other citrus like limes, oranges, mandarines or grapefruit.

My favourite way of serving citrus peel is as follows. I actually prefer lemon peel done this way, but they're all seriously yum. It's a good thing to do as a Christmas gift.

Chocolate Coated Orange Peel
2 large oranges
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
150g dark cooking chocolate, melted

Cut oranges into quarters and remove flesh, leaving on the white pith. Cut skins into 1cm strips. Place into a pan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and then drain. Repeat twice more to remove the bitter taste of the skins. Stir water and sugar together over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Add orange rind and bring to the boil. Cook until rind becomes translucent - about 5 minutes. Remove rind to a wire rack and leave overnight to dry. Dip each strip of rind into melted chocolate and allow to set on foil. Dip into chocolate again if liked. (Lemon or grapefruit rinds may also be used.) Delicious with after-dinner coffee.

If you don't believe me, check out some of the sites at the link below:

Here is a link that might be useful: lemon peel

o
RE: Lemon Peel good for you???

Please try this yum yum Syrian Salad that contain lemon peel:
According to the number of people to serve; cut equal quantities of tomato and cucumber into small pieces (say 1x1 cm), add few drops of lemon juice, salt, sumac, dry menthe (in fine pieces), good quality olive oil, very few pieces of onion (cut in 5x5 millimeters). Finally add lemon peel to your choice, cut in small pieces of say 5x2 millimeters.
Remember that the balance of salt/lemon juice is very important to give the final taste.

Also, you can buy Orange Jam (marmalade) that contains orange peel pieces (20x2 millimeter). if not available, you can buy orange jam and add the orange peel.

Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here