Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrs_b_gw

wet feet herb?

Mrs_B
20 years ago

besides mint in any form, is there a herb that dosen't mind a bit of shade and damp feet?

thanks Mrs B

Comments (9)

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

Watercress, gotu kola, marshmallow (gets its name from marshes/bogs!), bergamot, elder, poke, sweet flag (and other flags), alexanders, amaranthus, anise, arnica, black cohosh, blue cohosh, boneset, brahmi (often used in aquariums), bugle, burdock, agrimony, caraway, chaste-tree (vitex), chervil (fairly moist), chickweed (grows almost anywhere!), chives (tolerate a lot of moisture), cleavers, coffee (moist but not wet), coltsfoot, comfrey (tolerates frequent flooding), Thai coriander (Eryngium foetidum), lemongrass (takes huge amounts of water), dill (does best in moist soil). Heck, my brain is about to explode - the list is long!! Most of these prefer moist conditions, not necessarily wet. I find that mint prefers good drainage.

• Mrs_B
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Wow! Daisy that was quick and soooo! many to choose from, I had no idea. thanks heaps for that.

• Jamus_S
    20 years ago

and don't forget pennyroyal :)

• Giacomo
    20 years ago

Wow from me too. I have never heard of herbs like poke, cohosh, bugle and cleavers. They all sound like something that you dry and smoke for psychedelic effect. And agrimony - is that used to bring on a combination of aggression and acrimony? Or is it used by farmers in divorce cases (agricultural alimony)? Sorry, couldn't resist. But in seriousness I would be interested to know if Thai coriander is similar to ordinary coriander, and if not, how it differs. Is it the same thing as vietnamese mint, (which I have seen given other names)?

• Daisyduckworth
    20 years ago

Thai coriander is Eryngium foetidum, and no relation at all, and nothing similar in appearance to ordinary coriander, Coriandrum sativum. The first is a perennial (treated as an annual in cooler climates), the second is a very short-lived annual. The similarity is in the flavour of the leaves - the Thai coriander having a strong 'coriander' flavour.

Continuing the list:
    Cramp Bark (Guelder Rose) likes boggy conditions; echinacea prfers moist conditions; ground ivy likes moisture-retentive soil (can quickly become a weed); horsetail likes swampy conditions (but it's a declared noxious weed in many areas); lemon balm, a close relative of mint, likes plenty of moisture but good drainage; liqorice likes moist, but not wet, soil; soil for lovage should never be allowed to dry out; lungwort prefers moist conditions; mushroom plant likes moist but well-drained, soil; nasturtium, while drought-tolerant, will produce larger leaves in moist conditions; passiflora must have a plentiful supply of water to produce fruit; rocket (arugula) prefers moist conditions - in fact, bolting will happen faster if the soil is allowed to dry out; selfheal will grow almost anywhere, but prefers moist conditions; soapwort prefers moist conditions; sweet cicely prefers moist conditions; sweet flag can be grown in a pond; woodruff should never be allowed to dry out; valerian is drought-tolerant, but prefers moist conditions.

• Giacomo
    20 years ago

Thanks for that. One question still remains; what is vietnamese mint and does it have other names?

• Anna_B
    20 years ago

Giacomo, Vietnamese mint (Polygonum odoratum) has a peppery taste and the narrow leaves are marked with a brown blotch.

• andy_sa
    20 years ago

Houttynia's a good one for damp shade (herbaceous). The leaves are citrusy scented and can be shredded for salads, etc.

• Maki
    20 years ago

Hi Giacomo. Vietnamese mint is also known as laksa leaf. As the name indicates, it's very good in laksa and many Thai dishes that are spicy and cooked in coconut milk. So-o-o-o easy to propagate as well.