Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
why trees died on a side of the front yard?

Posted by wanli NSW (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 11, 14 at 2:09

Hi there,

As you can see the photo, on a side of my front yard (where sunlight is strong in the afternoon, particularly in the summber), no plant is growing well, except the ones I have to put in the pots. There used to 2 small trees (2 meter tall), but they dried up and become wood and were easily broken by wind. The soil is the same as the one in my backyard, where shades and plants grow well.

Can you tell me how to successfully plant a tall plant or tree (2 meter tall) in that spot? What tough trees/plants do you recommend? I need them to look beautiful as a fence as well.

Thank you very much!

Wanli

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: why trees died on a side of the front yard?

Depending on your climate zone (temperate, cool temperate, sub-tropical, tropical), but off the top of my head you could consider Thunbergia 'try-blu', nice deep green foliage, purplish flowers most of summer; Brunsfelsia (yesterday, today and tomorrow) Gardenia (might be a bit hot for that with the afternoon sun); and, well, can you tell us where your at approximately!
B

o

Hi B,

Thank you so much for your reply.

It is located at Carlton, NSW, 2218.

Wanli

o

Ok, as I recollect that's a suburb of Sydney, the plants I mentioned will grow ok there. If I were you though, I'd take a walk around my neighbourhood to see what other gardens contain, that'll give you a good clue as to what grows in your area. Michellia is another lovely plant and definitely worth a try, you could also consider azaleas or perhaps some of those 'Paradise' camellias, the not-too-large ones, C. sassanqua preferably. Good luck.
B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here