Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gardenia buds dying

Posted by Annie_qld QLDAust (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 05 at 7:30

A friend of mine has 2 gardenias side by side. One is lovely and blooming nicely but the other hasn't anywhere near the same number of buds and the majority of those are falling off.
The little stem to the bud is rotting then the rot starts up the bud and somewhere along the line the whole thing drops off.
I told my friend I would ask here if anyone knew why it was happening and what she could do about it.
So what you do think?
Thanks,
Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gardenia buds dying

Hi Annie,
The reason could be a potassium deficiency. This is easily fixed. Water the plant well, then sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Sulphate of Potash around the root zone then water again.
Bud drop can also be caused by drought, cold, temperature fluctuations, lack of light or poor drainage. I think the potash will more than likely solve the problem and is pretty easy to do.
Cheers,
Dee.

o

thanks, Dee.
I'll tell my friend that. I think she'll be grateful that it's easy to fix.
cheers,
Annie

o

I am having the same problem and will definately try the sulphate of potash. I have also read to water with distilled water. I have R/O water in my home would that be work as well?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gardening in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here