Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pepperina_gw

Heirloom Tomatoes for TV cooking show

pepperina
18 years ago

Thought you'd like to see a selection of tomatoes that I packed up for a new ABC cooking show being filmed tomorrow (will be shown in mid-April) called "The Cook and the Chef".

A selection of colours, shapes and sizes

I'm really excited to think that heirloom tomatoes are being featured, even if it's just a basket of pretties decorating the benchtop! It's all about raising people's awareness one way or another and little by little.

When I first received the call, all my tomatoes were GREEN, and I sent a desperate email to Spatz asking if she had any ripe ones yet. But the recent wave of hot weather started ripening them up and they're coming on fast now!

I ended up with a nice selection for them :)

Patrina

Comments (18)

• paradisi
    18 years ago

we've got a TV star in our midst!!

congrats pepperina

• pepperina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks paradisi. Actually, only the tomatoes will be the stars... I'm not in the segment ;-)

• Spatzbear
    18 years ago

Good thing I never told my tommies that they might be on telly. They'd be quite disappointed now. *winks*

The show starts next Wednesday at 6.30, Channel 2. Hope it's good.

• The_Grub
    18 years ago

Bravo, PP.
    Fantastic and great work on the heirloom front. You are a tireless campaigner and for that we owe you so much gratitude.
    Bouquets, bouquets, Grub xxx

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Nice one PP. The photo is great. Loved those highly-ribbed, flat-looking things.

• pepperina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just received an email to say that Maggie was really pleased with the tomatoes and made a feature of them in the show. It goes to air on ABC TV Wednesday 12th April at 6.30pm!

Woohoo!! Heirloom tomatoes foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr :D

Patrina

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

Okay, we need a run down of what varieties they are.

• adamus
    18 years ago

I smell a Logie Award for best featured prop in a TV show.

• pepperina
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hope they look pretty under lights Adam ;-)

Ray, they are Pale Perfect Purple at the top, then going in horizontal rows (more or less) left to right is Golden Glory, Snow White Cherries, 2 mini-orange, next row is Pink Ping Pong, Black Prince, Anna Russian and a large Mortgage Lifter (Pesta Strain) bicolour. Next row is 2 Black from Tula, June Pink, Cherokee Green and Moldovan Green. Next is a Purple Calabash, a truss of Wickline Cherry, 2 bicolour Yellow Beauty(s) and a larger Livingston Beauty and at bottom is Livingstaon Gold Ball and 2 Noire de Coseboeuf.

PP

• mercury12
    18 years ago

Hi Patrina

your tomatoes looked great on the show. I wished they showed some of your more 'unusual' ones like the purple calabash. When are you going on gardening Australia?

Helen

• adamus
    18 years ago

Gardening Australia hardly ever do regional stories.
    But that nice girl with the lisp lives in Adelaide. I'm sure we could persuade her to drop by with a film crew.

• canadiantomato
    18 years ago

I shall bask in your shadow.

Jennifer, chuffed to know a celebrity :>)

• Patrina_Pepperina
    18 years ago

The show's on tomorrow night (Wednesday) 6.30pm ABC TV folks. I'll be offering seeds soon in the Exchange, so have a look at the varieties and see if there's any you want. If I've understood correctly, Maggie unwraps each variety and I'm assuming she tells you what it's called - I'm waiting to see what happens :)

PP

• Mabb
    18 years ago

Well I just watched this ep on ABC2 as the Tivo didn't change channel properly to catch it at 6:30pm on regular ABC. They look fabulous Patrina, and you are in the credits :-) It's on again at 10:30 and 8am on ABC2 for those with digital.

Maggie thought it was cool that we are "tomatophiles" and brought out the tommies, naming quite a few of them. I am v jealous of your Amish Paste, we tried them last year and they didn't thrive at all in Melbourne. The Black Russian from Toula looked fab too. I'm going to grow a black next year and this might be the one. Umm Can't remember the other varieties, but I have the Tivo set to record a later episode so I can take notes :-)

• Raymondo
    18 years ago

I missed it, damn! Nevertheless, I can now tell everyone I know a TV personality.
    The black had to have been either Black Russian or Black from Tula. Sounds like Maggie blended the two into one. Might be a nice tomato, such a blend!
    Black Russian is quite tasty though rather soft. Adam's experience of growing it was that you had to pick and eat there and then. They would rot while being taken into the house! Haven't tried Black from Tula but it gets good reviews.
    After having tasted Black Brandywine at Marysville, I'll be giving it a go in the garden next season. Very nice indeed.
    A good meaty black would make an excellent sauce, though the colour might not be too attractive.

• brutus_beefsteak
    18 years ago

Hi, I caught the end of it on ABC2 tonight (I use a cheap set top box), then saw the repeat again later on. Some great looking tomatoes.

I was watching the show with my bro, he reckons im turning him into a tomato connoisseur, he raves about the earl of edgecombes I've grown, thanks again for the seeds.

• mee2u
    18 years ago

Hi Patrina,
    We watched the show it was great to see you got mentioned in the credits,I think that they could of done a bit better with the Tommies although I think they glossed over it a bit but then I guess they have a tight schedule but on the positve a lot more people may have their interest sparked into growing more toms.I found the segment on saving seed interesting seems to be a no fuss way to save seed,only touble with the method was water waste so I will stck with fermentation method.Great to see you get some well deserved recognition for your splendid efforts good on you PP
    Cheers John :-)

• ozmantis
    18 years ago

Well done PP. Great to see your hard work being shown off. I am not sure they appreciate the effort that you have put in to produce those babies but eh, thats the way of the world we live in. I could ramble on here but... ok...Ray, Adam, I will by kind.

Hi Mabb and all, re Mabbs query on blacks..
    I have grown a few blacks and for me they are a bit iffy. This past season I grew Carbon, Paul Robeson and Cherokee Purple (if you consider this a black). Last year I grew Black Krim and Cherokee Purple.
    Cherokee Purple is a winner re; taste, but I cant get it to produce more than One truss of fruit.
    Carbon this year produced lots of fruit where others didnt but the flavour was just umm.
    Paul Robeson, well, I cant give a report on this one cause I think I had a dud. Small mahogany bits of yuk that the chooks loved.
    Black Krim , last year was a late sowing from a seedling I got from a garden show here. I let it sprawl where it wanted and it pumped out some lovely , really black fruit and it has stuck in my mind as a "must give another go".
    That is until I read on other forums that Black from Tula is better than BK. So, bugger it. I am going to grow both, and side by side in identical pots this coming spring.
    I will report back
    NOW bakkto tha foooty