SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bird_valley

Eradicating lantana

bird_valley
21 years ago

My local council has given me four months (until 1 January 2003) to remove and/or 'suppress' red-flowering lantana in a particularly inaccessible and remote area of my property in the lower Hunter Valley NSW. No tractors can access the area, maybe a dozer but getting it in there would cost a fortune.

In total, the lantana covers about a quarter of an acre growing actively over the fence from my neigbour's property where it covers a huge expanse. While I am not happy to have lantana on my place at all, I have managed to kill off any further outbreaks which have sprung up further down the creek bed as birds drop their seeds.

I have previously had success with spot spraying outbreaks in March with Grazon herbicide, however it's not been 100% successful every time. The label says the plants must be actively growing (and flowering in March, I think) for Grazon to work.

The problem is that right now, it's as dry as the proverbial and the lantana out in the open is leafless and fairly sickly where it grows under the tree canopy. In other words I cannot see Grazon doing any good between now and January.

The label on Garlon herbicide says that cut stump applications (with diesel) are an effective control on lantana. I could scratch myself to death and get into some of the large clumps, cut the main stems (stumps) and paint a Garlon/diesel mix on.

But will it work? Should I wait till March or when some rain (pleeeeese) falls and the plants are actively growing?

The only other herbicide I can think of is Starane which I believe is specifically formulated for red-flowering lantana.

Any thoughts would be most welcome.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH