Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Banana Flower. Am I supposed to cut it off for fru

Posted by laura_the_housewife Brisbane (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 22, 06 at 23:22

I have a banana tree growing wild in a creek down in the back yard. The kids love it and every year go down to check the 'harvest'. This yr I thought I might try to look after it and get some real edible bananas off it. Any help? Also - I heard some general gossip that I'm supposed to cut off the flower at some point so the fruit develop fully. I'd love some help with this one :))

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Banana Flower. Am I supposed to cut it off for

I don't think that's necessary.
Here's the DPI's site on banana cultivation tips
http://www2.dpi.qld.gov.au/horticulture/5153.html

Here is a link that might be useful: banana cultivation in qld

o
DPI has no info on the flower

Thanks for that. I have gone through this site pretty thoroughly - but there is no mention of the flower, cut or otherwise. So I'm still wondering..... :(

o

Some people think that the banana flower, or bell, should be cut off when the last row of bananas has formed. Apparently, the flower continues to use some of the nutrients that would otherwise be used to nourish the fruit. But many people don't bother, and some leave it on because the honey-eating birds like to feed from it.

I think whether the flower is left on or cut off is not that important. Probably leaving a lot of suckers on the plant would drain energy from fruit formation much more than any flower. Food, water, sunlight and protection from wind seem to be the main requirements for good fruit--and maybe a protective bag over the developing fruit.

o

I have a large number of bananas here in Perth and get regular lady finger and Carnarvon large harvests - kids love it and people are amazed that we get them here (they feed off the warm shower and bath water - helps alot in winter). Cut off the flower head when the last hand has set - palms will only support so many hands, then the flower is just wasting nutrients. You can eat the infertile flowers inside the flower petals too. from the growth of the new sucker till the bananas are ready to harvest can be up to 2 years - don't pick the hands till the bananas are rounded out and yellowing. you can finish ripening them in a bag with an apple. Go for it! We have pawpaw, mango, etc here too - all great.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here