Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jacaranda Trees

Posted by
Catherine Devlin Victoria
(Catherine1@bigpond.com) on
Wed, Jul 18, 01 at 19:38

Can Jacaranda trees be grown from cuttings or seed only!

Cheers
Catherine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Jacaranda Trees

Yes Catherine, you can only grow Jacarandas from seed or direct sowing in the spots you want to grow them, they shoot and grow quite easy. I don't know if they will grow to well in your area as they do not like to much frost when young. 5/8 years of TLC might help. Good luck. Peter R.

o

My four trees did get a heavy frost this last year. (Totally unexpected and not usual for this local, but) what can I do about it to save them. Their main branches just died and snap off down to a foot. I bend the trunk but it seems still alive. Can they be saved? How can I help them. They do get full sun and get moderate water. Thanks!!

o

• Posted by LEGS CHIDLOW WA (My Page) on
    Mon, Jul 1, 02 at 23:57

We grew Jacaranda from seed and at 12mths picked the strongest 60 for the drive. Being in the hills(out of perth) and subject to continual frosts during winter for the first
2 years we wraped them in plastic wrap (pallet shrink wrap was cheapest) on a 3 pronged stake, poked into old tyres.I was told to remove 2/3 leaves to bed down for winter. Its now 6 years on from first planting and we have only had to replace 3. 4 actually flowered last year!!!. we have had some variation in height growth but gradually they are all catching up to the "showoff" who is now 4 mtres.
good luck it was so rewarding to see them flower!!
legs

o

60 on a drive! Wow, that is going to look really gorgeous. My favourite tree.

o

Does anyone have Jacaranda seeds to trade?

o

I have a Jacaranda that seemed to be doing ok, however a big branch die and broke off...
I love my Jacaranda...but I don't know what to do...
We have always had 3 lights on the ground, under the tree to show its beauty...some branches are flowering right now...in the middle of fall...?
Please whatever anyone can do to help...I would appreciate.
G.

o

Hi gg, you probably have a little fungal or borer problem, just cut off the offending parts and paint the cuts with wound paint or plastic waterbase paint to seal the cuts and give the Jac a good drink. Hope this helps, don't forget to keep the good offcuts for your woodturning mates, absolutley the best for wood turning. Good luck. Peter.

o

Can anybody give me some advise? I'm just starting to germinate some Jacaranda's seeds and I would like to know when it's the right time to plant them in soil. I'm new with trees..Thank you!

o

Id suggest to plant them after doesing them with boiling water. They grow well after that. Just like a wattle.

o

HOW MANY YEARS DOES IT TAKE FOR THE JACARANDA TREE TO BLOOM FLOWERS??????

o

I live in Perth and have a Jacaranda tree now planted for about 18 yrs and has never flowered. Any suggestions ref. what might kick start it? I have tried the old trick of cutting off a few branches but it still does not flower.Any suggestions would be appreciated

o

THERE ARE MANY TREES OUT THERE THAT LOOK LIKE JACARANDA TREES. SOME OF THESE JACARANDA TREE LOOKALIKES DO NOT BARE FLOWERS!!! ARE U SURE THIS IS A JACARANDA TREE????

o

When I come to live in OZ I would like a drive that would take 60 Jacs (Very Impressive). I used to live in Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) and learnt that there were at least 40 different Jacaranda's. We used to drive down the jacaranda lined streets popping the fallen flower carpet as we went. They were all imported from south America! Are Jacaranda's indigenous to OZ? I managed to grow some saplings here in UK using the green house in winter. Boy they germinate so easy. It kept me amused for a few years keeping them alive. Then we had a freak late frost in june and it killed all fouteen of them. Has anyone posted a picture of theirs?
Good Luck

Conrod

o

A bit of trivia.

Jacaranda trees are now listed as an environmental weed in SE QLD.

Doug.

o

• Posted by marque Sydney Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 25, 03 at 22:11

My Jacaranda mimisifolia (I think that's the specific name) has started to have a chronic leaf drop. It shows as small brown patches on many of the small leaves, and over the past few weeks has provided an annoying shower of these little leaves with any wind or rain.

Any clues?

Marque

o

Yes Doug, I knew that. I'd like to know why. I still love the trees and don't think I'll remove mine - it's still a baby.

o

Marque, They are semi deciduous, which means if its cold enough they will drop their leaves. With the cooler, wet weather we've been having in Sydney lately, it has triggered trees to drop their leaves. At a client of mine they have two Jac's. One has started to drop its leaves, the other has'nt. Its just how they are, because they are grown from seed they vary. I wouldnt worry about it. They do take a while to drop their leaves too, so be prepared for mess.
Bryan

o

• Posted by marque Sydney Aust (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 27, 03 at 21:10

Bryan FGS

Thanks. I should emphasise that this leaf drop is not quite the same as the more usual annual fall (around Aug/Sept here in Sydney) but is just the tiny leaflets not the whole frond. It appears as though there's some burning or infestation on all the leaflets that fall too small for me to identify. Any slight shake of a branch brings a shower of these little leaves.

Not looking forward to this carrying on for the next several months.

Certainly accord with your observation that it may be tree specific, the one up the street is fine!

Marque

o

Marque,
They usually drop the leaflets first and then drop the rest later! I still wouldnt worry. I dont know of any pests that attack Jac's. The only other thing I can think of is it might have a root fungus. Try posting a question about it in Gardening in oz. Maybe someone there might have had an experience with their Jac.
Bryan

o

Jacaranda mimosifolia is not listed as environmental weed in some areas of SE Qld. That is a myth. Of course frost in a considerable area stops it anyway. They should not be used in riparian and I would suggest rainforest areas because the winged seeds germinate easily.

Keep the seed pod in a paper bag for 2 to 3 months split it open and plant out as soon as night temps are above 18oC. All Queensland offspring were derived from the original cobalt blue flowering tree in the old Botanical Gardens so if a disease is introduced that will be the end of that clone. Other Jacaranda species have been introduced since then. There is an interesting painting in the Qld Art Gallery of a New Farm Park Jacaranda circa 1905.

The Provinance or origin is thought to be the lower highlands of the Brazil/Argentinian border area about Misiones.

Jacarandas are strongly apically dominant so if the top is broken off or dies then prune the dead bit off and too many side shoots will race for the sky in spring. Brush off most with your hand and leave the 3 stongest (for insurance) and when the tree reaches 2 metres in the sub tropics prune to the one strogest apical shoot. At 3 m allow several say 3 others to fill what you want or espallier against a wall with difficulty. At 27o south the leaves turn yellow in August, drop off (they are semi deciduous) and burst into magnificent bloom on bare branches in September. Add a month and more for flowering as you head towards Sydney 33o S for flowering.

Congtaulations on the 60 tree winding drive. In 7 to 15 years it will look magnificent. Hope you don't get black frosts.

o

Thanks for the detailed info on planting Jacaranda seeds. I just got a pod from a friend and will try to grow some this Spring. Here in Houston, we had only one light frost, so the 4 or so Jacaranda trees that I know about are in great shape for the upcoming Spring. We are probably at the northern limit for its range here along the Texas coast.
David/ zone 9/ Houston,TX

o

David,
How did the growing Jacaranda from seed go? I just ordered some seed and will probably start it in about two weeks.
Deborah/zone 9/Monteray Bay

o

Hi All, great to see this post is still going strong, met some fine friends through this post, Lehn from Texas was a good friend who sadly passed away last year, his love of the Jacaranda brought us together and traded him some seed which he managed to pass onto his family and friends before his passing, I hope that some of them are now growing well in the USA, In your memory Lehn, may you rest in peace. Regards Peter r.

o

Hi Moreton, I live in Gympie and we had 20 frosts this winter, and my 2 year old Jacarandah tree survived, there is a product at the Nursery called Envy, I sprayed it all over my trees and down the trunk it gives it a protective coating, and guess what it works, I didn't lose one single young tree this winter, last winter I lost the lot and it was devistating, I had to spray every four weeks though, and the $20 per bottle was worth it.

o

Yep,I agree with Karnyah.I've used "Envy" on my Two yr old Variegated Jacarandah and my White Flowered Jacarandah.They are fully exposed to elements and have survived frost here to -5 celcius (approx 19 farenheit) when sprayed with it.I have also had excellent results with difficult to strike cuttings of various plants using this product.For info on the product go to www.agrobest.com . C.N.

o

I have an eight year old Jacaranda Tree about 10 feet high. It's quite spindly, not really getting the growth in it that I see some Jacaranda's have. I would like to transplant it or would it be best to leave it. Can they be transplanted or is there plant food that it would like to help with growth?

o

Hi Bassy515,Its probably nearly too late now to try to successfully transplant as my Jacarandas here are starting spring growth so its probable that yours are not too far behind.Best time perhaps next winter when it is dormant.A ten feet high tree would probably have a resonable root system so you will have to dig well around to enable enough roots to support transplant.Good luck.C.N.

o

"Jacaranda mimosifolia is not listed as environmental weed in some areas of SE Qld. That is a myth."

Sweeny, then whats this then?

Go to page 2.
The title says
"Ipswich City Council Environmental Weeds List"

With this same list is Camphor Laurel, Privet and Duranta.

http://www.ipswich.qld.gov.au/environment/conservation/weeds/pdfs/weedrebate.pdf

Come on Sweeny, it took me half a second to find this information.

Within QLD there are 1060 naturalised species. Jacaranda mimosifolia is within the top 200 invasive species.
Have a look for yourself.

This is the web page.
http://www.nrm.qld.gov.au/pests/environmental_weeds/pdf/assessment.pdf

It is listed.
Sweeny, maybe you should apologise to Sterculias.

And also a decidious species such as J.mimosifolia is extremely likley to tolerate a heavy frost. In Lismore where the species is an absolute pest, it gets to below zero every winter, and additonally it wouldnt matter how far away from riparian areas that you planted them because they go with the wind. ALSO within heavy frost prone areas there is always a niche that offers protection in the infancy stages of plants.
I only just saw this species recruiting on the Atherton Tablelands, yesterday were it commonly receives a frost.

From Kris

o

Hi everyone,
Hoping you can help. A few years ago my husband and I pruned our jacaranda, rather harshly as it hasn't flowered since and has sent up long vertical spikes. It's about ten foot tall. Is it ever likely to recover and what do we do now? I also think I probably have too much in that bed. There's the jarcarandah..not doing well, geisha girl 7ft doing okay, Iboza, doing well, two other durantas, white, okay mauve, no flowers, a double may doing well, a bottlebrush, perth pink not flowering overly and a small ixora. I had leard that less is more but didn't find out until later. I have pentas, a few bulbs and assorted plants underneath. In the next bed i have a queen crepe myrtle, another tree doing well and beautiful in summer and another 6 foot which comes out in white bracts (snow tree or something) and a small bottlebrush. On the front nature strip are two umbrella trees 10 foot doing too well. Should I take out something and what if anything would be the solution. I just hate taking things out as I have so much trouble getting them to do okay. I live on the coast CQ
hope you can help.

o

Hi Janco, it will take a few years of good management to get it back to a flowering stage. If you read back through the previous posts to where the young tree management is, you will need to keep pruning and shaping to get the required size / shape back into tree. No.1 confiscate DH's chainsaw and get an aborist/ qualified tree surgeon to see if it can be saved. If you have cut out the crown and all the laterals back to the trunk it will never grow back, it will just send straight shoots skywards and look like a person with their hands up in the air.Larger trees need the care of an experienced tree person, I have wittnessed many amateur prunning disasters over the years and then been called in afterwards to administer last rights and finnish the job off and remove the remaining poor things. R.I.P. Jac. Peter r.

o

Thanks Moreton
I'll try that because they're really beautiful.Another tree I am looking forward to seeing flower is my Queen crepe myrtle. it only blooms once a year but what a sight.

o

Jacaranda is in WEED CATEGORY 2. for Ipswich Shire Council and that Council covers an insignificant in area, 7% of SE Qld. ISC published web statement is:

"These species are recognised as environmental weeds in specific locations and applications, for example their
economic and ornamental values are recognised in particular circumstances. Therefore the use of any species from this category will be discouraged in areas where there is a risk of them spreading into bushland."

That repeats what I wrote 18 months ago. "Weeds in specific locations" and recognizes their economic and ornamental value. The Council like at Redlands, Brisbane Logan etc. etc. and probably Ipswich plant these magnificent trees. Balance is needed rather than plant xenophobia and misinformation.

Visit Grafton (Jacaranda Festival starts tomorrow 29 Oct 2004 for 10 days)and Lismore now to see some great specimens but also note they are a problem in a some areas.
Don't plant within 15 metres of new house concrete foundation but they look great near a high stumped Queenslander.

Jancol 04 - at 3 metres for your pruned Jacaranda you will need to hand brush off or cut off all but 2 of the most vigorous shoots. Remove all below that the for the next 5 years and don't tip prune the largest apical shoot. You may get a natural balance from those two main shoots. Otherwise call in an aborculturist to shape it.

It should take about two years to flower and 15 to 20 years to provide 7 metres plus of noon day shade in Central Qld. It will respond to 3 handfulls c. 150 gm of Nitrophoska Blue fertilizer sprinkled around the dripline and a further 2 metres out side of that now but that depends on your site, rainfall and soil. Goodluck

o

Im not even going to read this:
maybe just maybe my observations are correct or then by your opinion then Im seeing fairies
Kris

o

Oh dear I couldn't help.
They say its good luck when a Jacaranda blossom falls on you
For Brisbane high-school students, its a sign exams are almost due
The silky oaks are flowering too, what a magnificent sight
The native and the Jacaranda, combining for delight
Sure, be wary of new invaders, and watch the old ones too.
But to Kris and his nasty messages perhaps we should say BOO

o

They are lovely trees, without a doubt.

However Im sticking to my guns with them being weedy.
Bignoniaceae species, wind dispersed, deep taproot=dry tolerant, seasonally deciduous and fast growing.

Nasty message, !! Alison, Im trying to state the point that YES they are noted as weeds, Ive seen them self germinating happily between Port Macquarie and Gympie and the Atherton Tablelands, but no one actually cares so much about this because they are lovely. Ipswich is located in a weather pocket of extremes, it gets really cold and really hot and dry, so its likley that this species will do rather well elsewhere.

o

sorry to butt in but kris do you ever have any thing good to say I have been reading through lots of old posts and all you seem to do is criticise, also are you the same person who earlier this year or last had a go at some of us garden webbers for growing roses, please, if you tried a different track and told people what they could plant (alternatives)instead of mostly being all doom and gloom, whether you are right or not ,maybe we would all take you a bit more seriously ?
lorraine

o
Roses

Lorraine,
I do like Roses, I saw some photos recently on the garden gallery and though that the Rose garden looked superb,
however I dont like the European style of garden, it is one that reminds me of the colonial attitude in which was responsible for the massive amount of environmental degradation of Australias unique landscapes. I just wish that people would honour our beautiful country by promoting plant species that benefit Australian animals and ecosytems, rather than justifying their gardens on the basis of aesthetic enjoyment.
Roses arent a threat to anything, apart from your fingers if not wearing gloves!
Thats all.
Kris

o

hi kris sorry re- the roses mistaken id , yes I like my garden too and have a majority of natives that grow in this area food for the birds lots of hidey places for the animals that visit( yes we are out of town on acres )plus lots of roses and other exotics and evergreen trees as well as deciduous ones but the balance seems to work ok,and having worked and lived in the bush I have a healthy respect for it ,dont know if my garden is european design or not but I am comfortable with it and share it with the birds and animals that either live here or just pass through
regards
lorraine

o

Moreton & Sweeny
I had a tree consultant look at my jacarandah and he advised taking it out as it was too close to powerline (to house) and other plants were doing poorly. Thanks for your suggestions anyway. Now does anyone know anything about man size camellia? it's a double and I planted it in sun/semishade and it has lost all its leaves. It was terribly windy at the time. The other camellias and gardenias seem to be doing okay. Will it recover?

o

You really make me wonder kris, you of all people that carry on about growing Australian Natives, and a hater of all other plants, are considering planting a Eucalyptus deglupta a native of PNG, a non Australian Native. Then another question why would you want to plant a Barringtonia asiatica, which is a mangrove tree in the backyard, you would have to be out of your mind, who is the environmental vandal???? It does seem strange to me that they are still selling these beautiful Jacaranda trees in the Nurseries in SE Queensland if they are considered weeds!! and all the parks are full of them, strange!!!! I think I will plant 10 more Jacaranda's this weekend, and everything else you detest. I have plenty of room for them all, hooray for the Jacaranda, one of the most beautiful trees in the world. You must remember, we all don't like the same types of gardens that you do, I do like the elegance of the European style garden, it can be combined together with Australian Natives and together the two can complement one another. If I like the European garden that is my business not yours, just as your garden is your business, so you have to respect others point of view, that is what makes us all different.

karn

o

Hey Catherine, you are beating my thread, lol, go for it, keep planting.

karn

o

well sorry to be a pain as well but we went to melbourne last tuesday and called into bunnings at fountain gate and had a look at their throw out pile of plants and got heaps of bargains and lucky me I got 3 jacarandas only $1 each in 6" pots only needed a drink also 4 azaleas same price and a beautiful rhodie for $1.00 , I had a jacaranda at my previous home and have been thinking of getting another so now have 3, just as well we are all different as one persons rubbish re plants is another ones treasure ,happy gardening all
lorraine

o

chucklin

karn

o

Oh Karn, you keep surprising me!

Firstly Im not
"a hater of all other plants"
I also said that I havent made up my mind over E.deglupta.
secondly
"who is the environmental vandal????"
Barringtonia asiatica seeds wash up on the beaches in NSW all the time and they dont grow-they are native to tropcial Australia and are water dispersed, if they would grow well in NSW they would be there-I know what Im dealing with.
You were going to plant Camphor Laurel, so Ill answer your question, you are!
thirdly
fyi weeds become weeds as people plant more and the genetic pool increase and the species become more adapted and stronger to local conditions. So the reason I suggest about Jacarandas even though they are a really really decorative plant is that they can escape from parks and gardens.
forthly!
"everything else you detest"
I cant agree more that I have taken the wrong approach with your questions, Im not going to pass on information going about it the way I have in previous posts. But Im sure your not a stupid person so I suggest that you take care with what you plant.

I can send you a list of everything "i detest" it isnt a long list and I can have at least 50 signitures from renown people stating also that these species are of concern.

Karn, Im not making up stories.

Kris

o

• Posted by Liatris FraserCoast,Qld (My Page) on
    Fri, Nov 19, 04 at 14:19

Lorraine, lucky you! The Bunnings around here don't have bargains like that. When a plant is 3/4 dead, and not before, they might reduce it by a $, but that's about it.

o

Hi all
I wrote in some time ago about pruning jacaranda which had sent up vertical spikes and got it lopped by tree cutter. They put diesel oil on it and said it would die. Well it's shooting up beautifully, don't know if it's suckers or not, so do I just let it go or what.? It looks nicely shaped but don't know whether to leave it or lose it permanently. I do like jacarandahs but is it likely to flower this year? Jancol

o
RE: jacaranda trees

hi all, we have jacaranda seeds from a neighborhood tree and want to get planting. We're thinking of planting the seeds in a wee seed germinating tray as a starting measure, transplanting later straight into the ground. any tips?
What sort of soil do they like?

o
RE: Jacaranda Trees lopped and growing beautifully

RE: Jacaranda, lopped and surviving
Posted by: jancol04 QLD Aust (My Page) on Wed, Jan 19, 05 at 7:48

Hi all'
I wrote in some time ago about pruning jacaranda which had sent up vertical spikes and got it lopped by tree cutter. They put diesel oil on it and said it would die. Well it's shooting up beautifully, don't know if it's suckers or not, so do I just let it go or what.? It looks nicely shaped but don't know whether to leave it or lose it permanently. I do like jacarandahs but is it likely to flower this year? Jancol

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

o

Does anyone know of a jacaranda variety that doesn't grow beyond 7m or so? I would love to plant one in my backyard, but don't want to have to have a war with the neighbour or continually prune it back as it would ruin the neighbours ocean view.

Alternatively, a tree that is similar but small?

Mike

o

• Posted by meggs WA Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 23:21

A small jacarranda does not exist, you might think about a crepe myrtle, they are beautiful trees/shrubs, you can get any size you want from 50cm to up to 10m. You can prune them as a shrub, standard or tree.

o

I am adjusting to living in the southwest of the USA (USDA 9), Arizona, and have a jacaranda which was planted about 3 years ago. When planted, it was about 6-8 feet tall, is now about 10 feet tall. It has three branched trunks coming off a main ground level original trunk. The trunks are about 1.5 to 3 inches in diameter. The tree seems healthy enough but is growing very slowly. I water it about 2-3 times a week, a little less in the winter here. Winter is not extreme here in southern Arizona.
Should I be watering it less? Will it continue to grow slowly? Will it flower? I'd appreciate any advice you might be able to give me.
Jack

o

• Posted by moreton Bris. Qld. Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 4, 05 at 19:25

Hi 1Jack,
If possible try to give a good long deep watering, maybe once a month or 2 months in the warmer months and maybe just one good watering in winter, if you have a dry winter. You need to get the roots to go deep into the ground or your tree will only get a shallow root system and when it grows larger it will blow over and break off in a storm. It needs to grow slowly, so the timber inside the truck can carry the load of flower and new leaf growth in the spring. Too much watering,TLC, will only produce lush, weak growth and no flowers. We have just past October had our best ever flowering and the driest, poorest, rainfall for the last 80 or so years.
This tree is best left dry as possible during during your cooler months, so you can get maximum flowers and seed production from the poorest season. Please do not feel sorry for not watering your tree, as the more neglet the more tuffer the tree becomes over time. Some of our best specimien trees have been self sown and have never been watered or tended or prodded or poked and have stood the test of time. A bad spring/ summer hail storm may blow off a few branchs, but the tree will soon replace any lost growth.Please sit back and enjoy your tree, try not to interfere to much, keep to shape if need be. Good luck. Peter r

o

• Posted by shants NSW Australia (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 0:09

We have a Jacaranda at home that's about 9ft tall. Problem is there are atleast 6 different vertical branches starting within just a few inches from the ground.

I would like to prune this back so that I have only one single tree trunk. Problem is all the branches are about the same size and I really can't see one very dominant one.

so here are my questions:
1. Should I prune this tree?
2. If yes, how many upward branches should I leave behind?
2b. How do I select which branches to cut off?
3. Should I treat the pruning wounds with something to save the tree?
4. What do I do if there is new growth in the same place as I prune when spring comes around?
5. What can I do to encourage foliage growth and also flowers?

Thank you very much in advance. You are helping a novice gardener avoid tearing her hair out and having her heart broken if that tree dies.

-Shants

o

Wow, this whole thing reads like a soapie! Good fun - and it all started from a jacaranda seed!

o

Wonder if Jancol will ever get to see the blue Jacaranda blooms on her tree? :)

Cathy

o

Jancol & other owners of suffering Jacarandas,

At several schools east of Brisbane in the red soils we have this problem of multiple suckering in 10 year-old Jacarandas caused by careless whipper-snipper users and even worse building repair artisans. You have two options.

1. The easiest - plant a new 1 metre tree which should cost $6 to $9 and start again. It is easy to kill unwanted mishapen Jacarandas with glyphosate - isn't it Chris?

2. Pick the strongest straight sucker nearest the centre of the thickened base and prune or saw off all the other suckers and keep brushing off all new suckers on the trunk below the main shoot half metre. Water 25 mm irrigation weekly, or rain!!!(use tins to measure) out to 3 times the height of the sucker until mid May then let it rest to leaf fall in August. Fertilize with one handful (50 grams) of Nitrophoska Blue to each 4 sq.metres out to a similar distance each April, late September and December to maximise vegetative growth.

Some of our Jacarandas (& poincianas & Brachychitons) flowered after three years at 3 metres, in the sub tropics 27o S, especially with a very dry autumn and winter like in their Provinence (home area) but best to stop the fertilizing unless you want to get quick shade. Then stop fertilizing.

We mulch (even use 30 mm gravel)to 150mm and out to 1 metre radius. That is most important for all trees. Fortunately Js don't buttress but allow for rootlets to travel out 3 times the height when considering watering and fertilizing. Good luck

o

Sweeny,
yes neat glyphosate to the freshly cut stumps of Jacaranda's will kill them, dont do this to unwanted suckers as you may have the whole tree looking sick.
Neat Glyphosate will kill most species of tree especially Camphor Laurels!

From Kris

o

my 3 small trees(grown from seed indoors this winter)are 6" high now and ready to go outdoors when it gets warmer. They have some yellow leaves. Do I feed them if so with what. I will keep them in pots. Can anyone help a English jacaranda lover.

o

Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 20:49

Hi Rutland,
try not to feed to much the young Jacaranda, try to resist overfeeding and overwatering as to much lush, quick growth will leed to a straight, boring power pole tree. I have never seen them kept as a potted specimen, so I don't know if you will get flowers. Good luck. Peter r.63

o

So...

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

If I've read this thread right...
I should be chopping one of these shoots off at the base and leaving only one to grow ?

o

Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 22:15

Hi Rarrgh,
Yes try to keep your strongest leader,use good sharp pruners and dab cut with a little (wound dressing or plastic paint) if possible remove the steel star picket as well, try to get as much height on the plant this warm season and cover next winter if its cold in your area. Just beware of over watering, collar rot,around the base of the plant.Young trees are surface feeders so try not to disturb around the base of the plant.I would resist adding any fertiliser at this stage.They are going well. Best of luck, some in our area are already showing signs of Flowering all beit 3 weeks early than usual. Our drought should see a good flowering again this year. Good luck. Peter r

o

ok, I pruned my two jacarandas today...

I couldn't get the secauters down close enough to the crown of the secondary trunks... these cuts ok ?

Also I didn't use any wound dressing, several other sites recommend against it now... ?

o
RE: Jacaranda Trees - one last pic

the other tree's cut...

o

rarrgh,
The last, 4th, photo's main pruning cut looks OK but the 3 smaller shoots should be easy enough to prune down to <0.5mm of the swelling at their base. You will need to sharpen your hand secateurs. I think the evidence is now on the side of letting the cut to heal naturally. It is best to have the policy sterilize your pruning blades with metho etc.etc. between trees or bushes

The second photo shows a pruning that will leave a weak Y join which will split or break off in strong winds in later years. You need to prune with longer-arm, very sharp, by-pass lopper/pruners and at an angle close to the bulge where the cut limb joins the selected trunk so the wound can have that slight bulge at the join grow over. Do not cut into that bulge at the base of the shoot but as close as possible. I have tried this and ended up splitting the trunk at the Y on more than 50% of times. That means start again.

That pruned seedling is perhaps still at the stage of replanting with a $6-8 replacement unless you are in a cold area but photo 1 of your healthy seedling suggests you are not.

Sorry this is a bit of a mish mash but it may help. Good luck

o

Hello to all, I recently moved to Joao Pessoa in North East Brasil, which is an ideal climate for the Jacaranda tree. On my travels in Asia I brought one sapling back with me and it is thriving. It is about one metre in height. I also collected a couple of dozen seeds in April of this year and I would like a detailed description on how to plant and germinate them. They are still in the pods. As it is Spring time here in Brasil are the seeds still good? I have read the many suggestions that are on this forum and they are very interesting. I would be grateful for ideas on how to germinate these seeds successfully. The best of luck to all Jacaranda lovers as this is truly a beautiful and wonderful tree.
Mike

o

• Posted by meggs WA Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 31, 05 at 3:36

I would just put them in pots and keep them moist. I have a tree that has been grown from seed 18 years ago, the only problem with it, it does not like to flower, the grafted ones from nurseries are much more reliable.

o

Fri, Nov 4, 05 at 19:43

Hi Raggh,
I would try to keep them clean and dry, if posible. If you don't use wound dressing the borers and fungus has a easier path to get into the butt.Once they open up the butt a hollow will result, giving more opportunity for failure of the tree. Its up to you how you handle it.I would paint those wounds that close to the butt. If you were pruning higher up on a larger, older tree it may not matter as much. Good luck. Peter r

o
Jacaranda Trees - Growth regions in the US

Hello all. I'm new to this forum and new to learning about Jacarandas. I currently live in Los Angeles where Jacarandas seem to thrive. They line the street I live off of and create an amazing canopy. To say the least, it's absolutely breath-taking in May. However, my husband and I plan to move back to our home state of Tennessee in a few years and I really want to take some Jacaranda's with me to plant at our new home. Do these trees have a chance of surviving in that region of the US?

o

Sat, Nov 12, 05 at 2:52

Hi RM,
there's only one way to find out take some with you, if possible or post a Q. in your Forum in that State and ask for anyone who might have one /some in that area. If it is a cooler state, might need to be a potted specimen and taken inside or hot house. Good luck, Peter r

o

I have grown five Jacaranda Trees in pots from seed this year. We live on the SW Coast of the UK. The biggest is nearly one metre high.

As the UK wet & cold winter approaches most of the leaves are now falling off.

I think they should be put in our conservatory.

But they are giving off a strong fragrance which we find unacceptable indoors.

Is this a passing phase?

And is it possible that the trees don't like our climate and may be dying?

I read they are semi-deciduous

Dave

o

Sun, Nov 13, 05 at 19:00

Hi Dave,
hope you got them in, in time. During the cooler periods, they do not like much water as fungus attack can kill more young plants than any other cause.In Aus in our area, the winter is our driest part of year,(normally)we have just had the driest year ever in some parts, best flowering I have ever seen this season even with all the storms flowers are hanging on still 8 weeks now.Cooler times trees loose all foliage, look like they are about to die and then soon as ground temp. gets to about 21/ 22 degrees they shoot, when temps get 28/30 or better they flower.The 1st specimens where brought to Qld Brisbane Botanic Gardens and have spread quite wide and far since. Once they can find a suitable climate that they can handle, they can even be a problem as some have previously protested.But they are still quite beautiful when alive and when they are gone their timber is one of the most colourful for wood turning, blacks,browns,greys and yellows. When large enough birds will nest in them, but possums can damage them if they are over crowded. Borers and white ants can also attack them, so they may need good supervision took keep them in good stead. Good luck. Peter r

o

I have just bought my first house (Northern Melb) and want to plant a Jac. I have a few questions relating to the conditions I hope someone can help me with.

The proposed Jac spot; is a 90 degree fence corner, that is 15m from a corner of the house. The house is a brick veneer on stumps, on a slight rise. The soil is grey sandy siluvian, to sub-soil soft clay at about 1.5m. There are 2 manicured Pittosperum's (James Sterling) about 3m tall near the proposed site, 5m away. There will be plenty of Full sun. So Frosts permitting; my questions are;

Q1: Are these conditions suitable?
Q2: Do Jac's have shallow trailing roots?
Q3: Will the clay sub-soil cause the roots to go horizontal.
Q4: Will the Pittosperum's fiecly compete with the Jac for root space and water.
Q5: When/if Matured (15+) will it's roots cause foundation problems for the house.

o

Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 19:30

Hi Raudam,
I don't wish to put you off growing a Jac, but in your backyard near the junction of 2/3 or 4 different backyards,may lead to your neighbours wanting to chop away at your tree later on as they can be a bit messy with blossom drop, then leaf drop in the cooler months. Your cooler weather may be a setback also, may need covering during cooler times, until it gets up high enough.If you have a heavy clay soil and to much wet weather could cause a problem. 15 years plus tree will seek out any of your plumbing and even your neighbours plumbing as well. Old earthenware sewer pipes are a favourite of Jacs and most other trees. Be prepared for a messy outcome if they find their way into plumbing, backing up can cause a very nasty mess when trees get out of hand. Removal of the offending tree/s is often the easy part, costly replacement of plumbing can run into thousands of $$. A good spot for a Jac is on a larger block away from services,fences,houses etc. A good sized/ aged jac needs at least 30/40 square metres to stay out of trouble. If you have the space thats great but growing one in close confines may lead to unhapiness and trouble. Good luck. Peter r

o

Thought I'd post the results of what the start of summer and a little rain have done for my two jacarandas. Tripled in height within three months :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of jacarandas

o

I have a jacaranda about 9 metres tall and at least 35 years old. It has sparse flowers and leaves and the roots are lifting bricks in the driveway. What is the average life of a jacaranda? If it is nearing its natural end I would consider chopping it down as the brick lifting and leaves in the gutters are becoming a real nuisance.

o

I notice you are a new member. Welcome.

I don't think 35yrs is particularly old for a Jacaranda. I know of a tree in Durban, Sth Africa which is over 120 yrs old.

Much as I love Jacarandas, if the tree is troublesome, let that be the decider. The problems will only get worse. Your garden is meant to bring you pleasure, not pain.

Cheers,
Dee.

o

Hello All,

I have a question regarding fertilizing for a multi-trunk jacaranda. I put the tree in 8 years ago when it was about 3-4 meters high, added root stimulator & watering advice I received from a very nice person at the Univerity of Queensland, & voila, it was a very happy baby. We have been away for about 5 years. The tree is now 9-10 meters high but looks like it is lacking something. Some of the branches were dead from lack of water (the house was rented) and are just now coming back. I am guessing that there was no fertilization during that time. Top of tree has a few leaves and the rest of the branch is bare. Temperature here ranges from 9-24 C. No rain for 125 days. I am watering only once per week-maybe 10 gallons at a time. We did have frost and freezes here this winter. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Regards-Carol

o

Post Script: Did forget to mention that our temp right now of 9-24C will go to 50C this summer, about 2 - 3 months from now-we are in a brief period of spring at present.

o

Hi Guys,

I spent some time in Australia and fell in love with Jacaranda trees while i was there. I have just bought some seeds over the web, and am very excited - so tell me the bad news . . . . . will they grow in Ireland? Can anyone give me some advice which might help? Can they be grown indoors?

thanks,

Erin

o

Hi Carol Here in Queensland I don't water my Jacaranda's nor do I feed them. They can get to be a weed through dropping so many seeds with new seedling popping up everywhere.. Our Temp in the Winter get lower than that. No way do our temps get to 50C in the Summer most days are around 30-32 with the odd 38-40 degs but not the summer just gone.. Seeing you live in a desert maybe a good watering would help try pruning I prune mine a lot to thicken then up as I find they tend to go straight up I would not feed till you could see new growth coming through..

Erin::About growing in Ireland I don't know, as they are a Tropical and sub Tropical tree origin Brazil but I did have one growing when I lived in Melbourne (1200 kms south of here) and there were plenty there too. I don't think any tree likes getting grown in doors maybe OK if grown in a pot for starters and left inside for the first Winter...They can grow to be a huge tree, and they are deciduous . Have a look at the link below regards the temps they can live in ...Cheers...MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jacaranda

o

Thanks Misty ! Fingers crossed, they really are gorgeous :)

o

Would love a tree in my sparce yard .Anyone have a start,any-offers????

o

Best you put a post on the US Forum I am sure someone will send you some seeds
I have added a link to the Tropical Forum there are some on that
Also try the Tree Forum and if there is a Forum on Cal try that also...Cheers..MM

Here is a link that might be useful: US Tropical Forum

o

My wife and I are building a house outside Mexico City, where she is from. She loves jacarandas (they peak around her birthday :-) and so I'm inclined to plant one for her.

A few bits of advice from the experts on this forum would be most appreciated!

1. this in an area that gets lots of rain every day for about 3-4 months (several hours a day). the rest of the year is fairly dry. is that a problem for jacarandas?

2. we get a LOT of sun. OK for jacarandas?

3. high altitude -- also OK?

4. I'd like to have a big, fun, climbable tree within as short a time as possible (I'll just pretend it's for our young son :-). I know that jacarandas make good climbing trees but do they grow quickly? should I plan to wait 5+ years before it's at least 5-8 meters high? what's the biggest one you can reasonably buy and transplant? anything you can do to help it grow (much) faster?

Thanks!!

o

Thats sound like Brisbane weather, (1) and (2) so they will be OK.
Sorry I cannot help you about the (3) high altitude.
You can buy trees high here in Oz it a cost factor that would put you off..No I dont think he will be climbing in it five years well not by the way mine are growing it could be different where you are..
Please dont try to make your tree grow any faster than Nature intended..Hope this helps......Cheers..MM.

o

Sorry I forgot to say that here in Brisbane we don't seem to get those Monsoonal rains anymore. I also forgot to mention that I never water my four year old 8-9 ft Jacaranda's which would leave me to believe that they would not like wet feet and prefer it dryer...Perhaps a raised garden bed I have lots of plants here in those kinds of beds so that the torrential rains when we do have them don't cause damage to the roots. After flowering they have this long seed pod with hundreds of seeds in it so tend to sprout so many seedlings, they are getting to be a weed here. Cheers....MM.

o

Hi Carol in Queensland-

Thanks for the jacaranda advice-pruning seems to work!

Guess it is a matter of applying Common Sense, but was afraid to touch the poor thing until I had 2nd opinions from our Australian experts on the board.

Thanks so much!

Carol,
Phoenix,Arizona,

o

I have a Jacaranda I planted about 7 years ago. It is just one trunk, and it has had flowers a couple of times. It just doesn't seem to be doing well, though. It is pretty bare right now with no flowering at all (and pretty skinny)

Do Jacaranda's require a lot of water? It doesn't get a lot and I'm thinking about increasing the watering. What is good to fertilize/feed it?

I see so many around the valley that are huge and have tons of flowers....mine is like a Charlie Brown Christmas Tree!

o

I never feed or water my trees and this is Queensland where there is a drought and they grow Ok.

o

I love Jacarandas and always wanted one in my garden. Is there anyone who could tell me how to plant and germinate seeds successfully?
Thank you in advance.

o

I saw a grafted white flowering jacaranda for sale in a nursery here for $12.95. I was so tempted to grab it but I know that jacarandas are not very good flowerers here in Darwin. There was one at the RSPCA shelter that was many years old and a lovely shady tree, but only threw out the occasional bloom which was usually hidden amongst the foliage.
I know that in Alice Springs they do sensationally well and make a very dramatic show with the backdrop of the russet coloured McDonnell Ranges. AS can have very severe frosts (-10c) but this doesnt seem to effect the jacarandas.
I know that there are many jacaranda species - does anyone know of any being grown in Asutralia and what range of colours/forms are in the genus?

o

Here's a pic of my white Jacaranda:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And here's a pic of my purple Jacaranda:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

i am very new at this and have a query on pruning young Jacaranda's to train them properly. While my trees are growing well they have also shooted numerous times from the very base of the tree,, even from under the soil level. As we have a huge termite issue i am reluctant to trim these back but also don't want this to limit how the tree's grow. I have about 6, and 5 of them are doing this. Before planting them about a year ago we had our first black frost in nearly 5 years but the trees were under cover at the time. They are on drip irrigation, could it be too much water? i have photo's but couldn't work out how to attach them....noobie! Thanks in advance!

o

• Posted by tammyb McAllen, TX (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 18, 07 at 11:24

I planted my Jacaranda tree two years ago when it was only 5' tall. It has not blossomed and it is now twice as tall. When do they begin to blossom? Does it need to get a little older?

o

• Posted by rubix Houston,TX (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 20:59

I had 5-6 Jacarandas sprouting from seeds but for each of them after they got to about 2" tall the leaves started turning brown and all the plants died soon after. Any idea whats going on with my plants , any help would be appreciated here . Thanks

o

Sun, Aug 19, 07 at 11:13

Hi Rubix,
Sounds like they have a fungus attack,( dampening off )keep trying different soil, potting mix ,seed raising mix,some times the best way is just throw the seed out the back yard in a corner near the compost heap and just let them go on their own. If you have enough seed try many different ways as over here they just come up every where when conditions suit. Good luck to all our Jacaranda Lovers we shall start a new thread and post all our phptos in Oct this year. 6 years + 3months still going strong many thanks to all and Garden Web. Peter r

o

Will leaves of my jacaranda like those posted in pictures by rarrgh (10-5-05) begin to look like those posted by netwebangel (11-4-06)? Mine looks like rarrgh's with one exception. Mine has split into a fork at approximately 4 - 4 1/2' and then the equally-size forks have grown to another 5' ea. The limbs now hang heavily over the street so if anyone parks a large vehicle next to it, it gets abused or if a large truck drives down my side of the street, it gets whacked. I don't know what to do to encourage it to grow in a different direction. Any suggestions?

o

Fell in love with flowering Jacaranda duing trips to Australia. Bought two 3 foot trees two years ago and planted. They have both grown to over eight feet in just two years. I am concerned about how fast and tall they are growing and would like to have them "beef" up the foundation a bit before growing much taller. Can I snip (prune) the top portion off to slow the growth down?

o

We have a jacaranda sapling. Grew it from seed that we brought back from Madeira!! It was doing OK but now has a brown scaley covering on some of the twigs and part of the trunk. Looks very sad. Can anyone offer advice. I should hate to lose it, reminds me of home.
Hopefully, Georgine

o

Hi, I planted some agapanthas a couple of years ago and have had (what I think) is a jacaranda, sprout up from in between them, I got them from underneath jacaranda's and transplanted them into my garden. I have transplanted the jacaranda (which is about 2 metres high now) into the backyard, how likely will my sucess rate be? the leaves are drooping, its about 26 degrees today, and I have had the water on it a fair bit. I have also steadied it using twine to a couple of places on the fence. Any advice would be great. should I cut it back a bit?
cheers!

o

Thu, Jun 19, 08 at 8:37

Hi Tanwal,
Please do not prune, it will only make the tree sprout, many heads and go all silly. Just leave it and see what happens. Just forget about it no fertiliser, no proding or poking required, thrives on neglet, just protect from frost when younger. (Frost tender in early stages.) Also have an update on the Fungal attack on the grand old Jacarandas in New Farm Park Brisbane, they have all surcome to the dreaded fungus attack and will all be removed. R.I.P. New Farm Jacarandas. Peter r.

o

I want to plant 2 jacaranda trees which were given to me in a plastic bag. The trees are about 25cm. tall. Will they survive where I live? I live in Guatemala and we are still in the rainy part of the year. The temperature at night ranges from 16-20 C and during the day ranges from 20-26 C more or less. I live at a high altitude (about 6000ft.)
I would appreciate any and all tips.
Thanks.

o

I've tried three times now and can't get jacaranda seeds to sprout, what on earth could I be doing wrong? Could it be TOO hot for them? Today the peak temperature was 87 degrees and low of 71. I have them in a seed sprouter tray, so it stays fairly damp.

o

hi could any 1 plz help me find some white christmas jacaranda seeds or young tree or give me some sort of webpage or website plz , if so plz email me on alanbrownbridge@hotmail.co.uk

o

So, I think this is my fifth try to sprout from seed. And they've finally sprouted! Though this time I used seeds from a different source. >_< At least three of the four times before the company I ordered from sent me free replacements to try again, so I only got gyped on one. I really would not suggest Thompson and Morgan when trying to start a Jacaranda. Out of three or four packs from them over the course of three years, NONE sprouted for me. And in just five days the new ones I planted from a different source are already coming up.

o

Out of curiosity I planted some Jac seeds I received of a friend. Now I have 10 seedlings and they are about 1 -2 inches tall. As I am renting and may be for a while, my question is how long will these seedlings be happy in pots? (Large pots obviously).

o
RE: Jacaranda Trees- pheonix type

I have got some seedings of a georgeous Pheonix Jacaranda that bears vibrant orange red flowers- ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL! so far I have NOT seen1 in Victoria.

How do I start to germinate them. Is April the right time?
Is it true that I should plant them in bigger pot in order that they are NOT disturbed until they are ready to go to the ground. When/what is the best height that I should plant them in the ground?

o

Im trying to save a customers Jacaranda tree as they have decided to pull it. It went through a frost in the winter that was about 20F. The tree has tall bare shoots that are about 10feet high. There is a lil bit of new growth growing off the trunk. Any advice on how to prune or perhaps fertilizing to save it?? Any help is appreciated!

o

I've been trying to grown jacaranda trees for sometime now. I have one thats nearly 2 years old and is only about 6 inches tall. and a few that are alittle smaller that are about 2 months old.. I'm about to give up hope on this trees... Can they be watered to much? should i let them dry out between watering?

o

Hello everyone,
I come from Vietnam. I have been here in Brisbane for one year and I really fall in love with jacaranda trees and its beautiful purple flowers. I really want to plant it in our own land in Vietnam. Please kindly advise me the places/ shops where they sell jacaranda seeds in Brisbane, Queensland, or whether there is any online shop to sell its seeds.
Thank you very much in advance!

o

I want to plant our driveway with Jacaranda trees, I am wondering how far apart to space them?

o

I have a few Jacarandas on the property I am living on and want to take some cuttings with me to my new house. Do the cuttings have to be small or can I take cuttings from little branches at the bottom of the tree that are maybe 60cm to 100cm?
Any advice would be great(:

o

Fri, Jul 13, 12 at 3:46

Hi Chelsea,

Jacarandas are pretty hard to grow from cuttings, may be better to get a new one or grow some more from seed.
Sometimes they are hard to propagate so may be quicker to find a potted specimen. Good luck, Moreton

o

I want a white jacaranda. I will soon have magenta Jacaranda seeds to trade - Jacaranda curialis aka J. jasminoides. I'm in northern California. Any nurseries? Seeds? Grafts to sell or trade?

o

Unfortunately Jacarandas (J.mimosafolia) can be a bit suspect if you live in an area subject to strong winds. I live in northern NSW Australia, and recently the remains of cyclone 'Oswald' came through and did this:

o

Link to article about White Christmas Jacaranda trees
http://cayliejeffery.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/white-christmas-in-australia.html
for Jacaranda lovers!
Comments and stories about your own white jacaranda tree experiences welcomed!

Here is a link that might be useful: White Christmas in Australia

o

Hello, I have a White Jacarandah tree that had 3 seed pods on it, they were fattenning up nicely.I went to a garden centre and asked them when do I pick them from the tree.She said wait till they go brown but dont wait till they open as the seed will fly away.But If I pick them too early the seeds won't develop inside so I must wait.I have looked at them every single day,now 1 of them has gone and I am on my hands and knees looking all through the garden almost crying.I was told I was so lucky to have a White Jacaranda tree that was not grafted and had seed pods.Should I pick the last 2 pods off before they disapear? Do birds take them? I didn't think it was windy enough to blow it away.The remaining 2 seed pods are still green but starting to look wrinkly,should I pick them now? I don't want to lose them too.I am putting pics up of the plump seed pod that has gone missing, a night time pic from 2008 of the tree and a day time pic lately.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here