Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Liquid Amber removal

Posted by marcorussian QLD/Bayside (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 15, 04 at 4:28

About 6 months ago we removed a 12 meter liquid amber from our yard because we want to replace the area with citrus trees (blood orange, lemon & lime).
The stumb and most of the major roots were ground down and for the past 4 months we have had about 20 odd small shoots sprouting up all over the place.
My question is what is the best way to remove/stop these from coming up. I don't want these to hinder the citrus in any way once we plant them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Liquid Amber removal

Hi Marcorussian, unfortunatley this is going to take a bit of time and effort as liquid amber is a great sucker, ( they sucker very easily and quite prolific) where ever there is a peice of root close to the ground surface they will send up a new shoot to the sky. This may happen in your yard, the neighbours also may get some as well.If possible drill some holes in the remaining root systems, that you can find and top with 50/50 tree kill and deisel or a 50/50 mix of roundup and water. Maybe take a while to clear it all up. Good luck. Peter r

o

• Posted by sebd VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Sun, Jul 25, 04 at 7:46

I had a similar problem with suckers and it was very tiresome. I did the drill and kill regime too. Recently heard that a copper nail can do a kill but it may not be the immediate solution you need. Good luck.

o

Copper nails are hugely overated and dangerous. Imagine what it would be like for some unsuspecting person with a chainsaw when cutting it down? If it is suckers you want to get rid of, you would need a hell of a lot of copper nails.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here