Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which large evergreen tree without invasive roots ????

Posted by tebbany qld aust (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 4, 05 at 21:07

I need your help! We have a huge property with formal gardens around the perimeter. At the front of our home I would like to break the lush green lawn with two very large shady trees. I would have a square paved garden edge put around each one. I do not want palm trees! Nor do I want anything with large roots that may damage foundations. This makes it a little difficult as I would like large trees. Jacarandas are lovely, however they will be too messy. Something that drops minimal leaves would be teriffic. I hope someone some great suggestions. Thankyou.
Madonna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which large evergreen tree without invasive roots ?

How about Waterhousea Floribunda? (Weeping Lilly Pilly)Native tree, mild root system I believe, and has lovely flowers followed by berries.
Also Eleocarpus Reticulatus (Blueberry Ash)

o

Rainforest trees like Waterhousea floribunda or, for example, Syzygium francisii, could be good, but 1. may depend on the rainfall in your part of Qld, 2. if you are so worried by 'messy' trees you may dislike the very ornamental fruit.

What about eucalypts? I think one of the most beautiful Qld trees is Corymbia tessellaris (Eucalyptus tessellaris), Moreton Bay Ash or Carbeen, which adapts to most Qld regions. Its roots are unlikely to be invasive.

o

• Posted by lakota SW West Aust (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 27, 05 at 1:19

Native frangipani is beautiful and not invasive. Illawarra flame tree is a bit messy being deciduous but the leaves are large and easy to pick up. I don't think its invasive either. Another tree which casts beautiful shade and is not invasive is paulownia. They are deciduous but have very large leaves and are easy to pick up, also if you have horses or other livestock they love the leaves especially when they dry out a bit after falling.

o

Technically, any large (or medium) sized tree has the potential to have invasive roots - it is just that some are more invasive than others. Structural problems are usually not caused by root upheaval, but by the reduction in moisture in reactive clay soils which cause soil shrinkage and potential movement in the foundations. It is usually a good idea not to plant trees and shrubs no closer to the house than their mature height - so, a tree that grows 8 metres should be planted a minimum of 8 metres from the house. As far as shady trees are concerned, you may want to look at the Blush Macaranga - grows to 6 metres and produces one of the best shade canopies of large heart shaped leaves I have seen. It self-seeds prolifically, however, so you need to be careful. Some of the grafted gum trees may be okay - 5+ metres high with very showy flower displays in summer.

Ian

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here