Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Robinia 'Moptop'

Posted by freo_leah western australia (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 22, 06 at 23:20

hi all,

we've got a moptop robinia located about 1- 1.5 metres from the house foundation. a nursery worker has put the fear of total house destruction and suckers coming up dozens of metres from the parent plant if we disturbed the soil around this tree, that if we stop watering it the roots will seek out water where it finds it (i.e. the sewerage pipes under the foundation) and recommends we poison it and remove it ASAP. She said it was only a matter of time before this tree was declared a noxious weed here in Western Australia!

I'm really interested in others' opinions and experiences about this. Is there reason for us to worry? Are the roots invasive to the house foundations?

thanks very much!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Robinia 'Moptop'

• Posted by meggs WA Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Apr 25, 06 at 4:48

Hi Leah,

I have a pink flowering robinia (it is grafted on the same rootstock as your mop top and in their natural environment they grow in thickets)... it was planted 13 years ago, now forms a handsome tree. It is planted about 20m away from the house. However IT DOES SUCKER... not in my garden but I have noticed the new shoots comming up in the neighbours' gardens. I do not know whether it poses such a danger to the house foundations as described but 1-1.5m from the house is a bit close. If you decide to remove it I am afraid you will have to poison it as the left over roots will sucker madly.

o
RE: Robinia 'Moptop'

thanks Meggs I appreciate your post and advice (and being a newbie I appreciate KNOWING someone out there read the post!)
best
L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here