Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why is my lavender going yellow?

Posted by Emma_L VIC Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 19, 05 at 21:42

I am fairly new to gardening and need some advice.

About 2 years ago, I planted a row of lavender and they have flourished. They have finished flowering and beeing very busy I have only just managed to trim them back. However, I have noticed that the leaves have started to turn yellow.

Is this because I have been late in cutting them back, or could there be something else wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why is my lavender going yellow?

It is not because you cut them back - I have cut them at all times of the year and they don't go yellow. Sounds like a soil deficiency or an over supply of fertilizer? Too acid or too alkaline - do a search on google and see what comes up.

Robyn

o

• Posted by meggs WA Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 22, 05 at 8:34

It would be too acid, lavenders love lime.

o

sounds to me like excessive amounts of water in the root zone.cut back all of the foliage and refrain from watering until you see the regrowth appear. lavender also is infected by two different types of fungi each attacking either the upper or lower leaf surface. if some of the growth has a smoky appearance prior to turning yellow it is propably a fungal problem. in both cases cut back the plant,remove watering and spray with a fungicide.this is a common problem especially during wet /humid weather when you have a lot of trapped humidity from the moist soil around the plants foliage.you may also try removing alternate bushes in the row to assist in aeration.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Trees & Shrubs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here