Return to the Roses in Oz Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID this rose please? Rose fully open

Posted by happyjacq_bris Brisbane Austra (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 3, 05 at 19:51

Rose fully open. Lots of thorns. Very strong,lemony perfume. All new growth is red. Leaves dark green and leathery, quite thick leaves but not the crisp feel. I planted it in the garden this morning next to seduction and crepuscle.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID this rose please? Rose fully open

• Posted by Snodge Outer Sydney (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 5, 05 at 18:22

Definitely not peace or apricot nectar. I reckon Yvonnes suggestions most likely so far, or also bears a resemblance to a thinly petalled Adolf Horstman or maybe Brandy

o

It's hard isn't it? I have Brandy in bloom right now, and I'd think this is probably not it because of the pink (espeically notable on the previous picture in the other post). But then they can look different in one garden to the next! I used to have Adolf Horstman and this photo does look a lot like it - that's my bet.

o

Well the bud certainly is the same shape as Gold Medal, I have a couple in bloom in my garden right now. From my memory of Adolf Horstman (shovel pruned a few years back) the pink was more to the edge of the petals and it was quite a squat bloom. I think this example is of a young plant and as it matures (and is fed well) there'll be more petals in the opened bloom. The colour is slightly deeper than mine, but that could be location and lighting. I'm waiting for my Sutter's Gold to bud up & bloom - that is a deeper gold - the Jury is still out on this one.

Von.

o

This exercise is proving just how difficult ID by photo can be.Like Yvonne said, said light is going to make this id almost impossible especially for modern style flowers.Maybe go back to the place of purchase and ask where their standard roses came from this year.They may even know which varieties they had as standards (if you can find somebody helpful).If not you can at least refer to the grower(suppliers) catalogue in order to narrow down the possibilities.
Ps Good buy anyway despite absence of name.If I could obtain roses for that price I wouldn't bother propagating any.
Thrip

o

Thankyou all very much for your combined wealths of knowledge.
I shall feed it well and see if it improves it's flower fullness.
Thrip, I did ask the shop assistant (and I use the term assistant very loosely)whether he could find out who supplied their stock. Alas too hard, he looked at me even more blankly and shrugged his shoulders. Actually, the blank expression cheered me up no end as I thought how novel that it wasn't a scowl. I have been hanging out with my teenagers too much I think.

o

Whisky or Adolf, depending on accuracy of image. There is another possibility, but my brain don't function too well after 5pm.

o

I looked up my photos and found one of Sutter's Gold fully opened taken back in January. There is always a variation in colour with this rose, this is freshly opened & here's a link to compare.

Von.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sutter's Gold

o

Hello Von. I have to say that the jury is back in now with a verdict of Sutter's gold. Having viewed the rose at all times of the day and compared it with your link, then we have a winner.
One thousand thankyou's for your knowledge and your sharing of it too!
Jacqueline who is now very happy!

o

Glad to have solved the problem for you Jacqueline! Enjoy the rose...its one that stops me in my tracks with its beautiful fragrance when I take my morning walk around the rose garden.

Von.

o

So pleased to see that you have now got a name for it HJ.
And a lovely perfume as well how wonderful.Cheers..MM.

o

Just one thing....how long does this rose last? My mother's Sutter's Gold is a bud in the morning and blown by the afternoon.

o

Annie, it probably depends on where you live, how you care for them and the weather. I've been photographing mine which have just started opening but I rarely pick [any of my] roses for the house.

I should say if you want them to last to bring inside for the house, pick them as they just open early in the morning especially in Q'land and the hot weather you've been having, then soak them in a bucket of water up to their necks for perhaps half a day before popping them into a vase to enjoy the fragrance and gorgeous rich gold splashed with pink.

Left on the bush if you have strong wind and near 40C heat you can't expect many roses to last.

But to answer your question - down here in spring they stay on the bush a week or more before collapsing.

Von.

o

Hiya Annie-I find Sutter's gold doesn't last well at all when picked.It has long narrowish soft petals and loses its 'starch' very quickly-the blooms sag and look decidedly tired within hours of picking.
I love the perfume though.
regards
sandie

o

Sutters Gold it aint. Blows open quickly, 30 petals. Petals tend to furl backwards when open giving a pointy appearance.

o

Well, I've just started a gallery of yellow roses, there are a handful to compare so far...a bit early in our spring for more. I grow over 500 roses and once they all start blooming the yellow rose gallery will soon fill. There's a couple of shots of SG, so have a look.

There's 9 other galleries of roses if you click on ROSES top left you'll find the index to the others. Each of the main galleries holds 100 photos. Sutter's Gold features on page 4 of the January gallery.

Then there's "Help Me Find Roses" - a handy spot for looking them up...

Von.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow roses down under

o

I've just bought Dame Elizabeth Murdoch which I thought looked a bit similiar to that one.
Haven't got a rose on it at the moment but do have buds.
When they open, I'll post a piccie.

o

The real Sutters Gold

Here is a link that might be useful: Sutters Gold

o

Hello me old friend!! Yes, mine gets to look like that too :-)

Von.

o

Yes, that's what my Mum's rose looks like by the end of the day.
It's a shame 'cos it's a beautiful bud.

o

How about the thorns ? I don't own any of the contenders so I can't tell, but Happyjacq said the mystery rose was quite thorny.The stamen colour may be usefull too.I think SG had red stamens but Happyjacq's photo doesn't show the stamens of the mystery rose.
Thrip

o

I reckon the jury is still out on this one. Blacknwhitemob had me looking back at the shot of Happyjacqs and I have to agree that although the deep gold is similar there are too many challenging differences, so don't go writing a rose-sign for your rose yet Jacqui!

Von.

o

I don't know about the thorns but I'll ask my mum.

o

Ok 3 more buds. I will post another picture with stamens visible. It is just a baby from bare root winter just gone, so I must be patient. All will be revealed. I do love it though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Roses in Oz Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here