Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deryn_gw

Most Perfumed Rose

Deryn
18 years ago

Hi all,

I've been asked to compile a list of the ten most perfumed roses for an article I am writing.

Three spots will be taken up by Austins as I have superb pics of Septer'd Isle, Gertrude Jeckle and Jude the Obscure which are three of their best perfumed.

I had thought that Mr Lincoln - plus his brothers are some of the best scented along with the raspberry-scented Madam Isaac Periere.

Any other suggestions? What are your favourites? I want to get a selection of rose, fruit and other scents,

cheers Deryn

Comments (26)

• rosesforme
    18 years ago

Hi
    Could I add:
    Charles de Gaulle
    Lovely Lady
    Angel Face
    Sight Saver
    Yolande d Aragon
    Perfume Delight

Hope this will be helpful!

Cheers
    Michelle

• Snodge
    18 years ago

I second your pick of the red brothers. No list of perfumed roses would be complete without them. I would also suggest

Tiffany
    Blue Moon
    Fragrant Cloud
    Francois Dubruil (can never remember the spelling!)

In my experience these can really be relied upon for a nose full of scent. Others I've got can knock your socks off at times, but it can be a hit and miss affair - in the open air at least, and I can seldom bring myself to cut my roses.

For a lanscaping, shrubby rose, I give Lavender Dream 5 stars on all levels, including fragrance. It's a light sweet fragrance but it carries in the air, which is very rare in my garden.

Perfume Delight is also pretty reliable in my garden, strong and vigorous as well; and (in my limited experience with it) Radox Bouquet confirms it's reputation, very smelly indeed.

If you're after a mix of scents there's always the stinky Austins like Cymbeline and Troilus..with that chest rub kinda smell...is it myrrh?

So useful to have roses that don't smell too, especially at the back of a bed, or in the middle where they're hard to reach. I hard to reach smelly rose is a never ending frustration as you're always picking your way throught the garden to smell the blooms!

• Snodge
    18 years ago

Oh, how could I have overlooked Double Delight. Not to everyone's taste, but noone could deny it's powerfully and reliably smelly (I love it).

Little White Pet, will fill the house with fragrance if brought indoors - musky scent (my kids don't like it)

William Shakespeare will also fill a room with scent when brought indoors, but I can rarely smell him in the garden.

I've only grown her for 1 season, but so far Tipsy Imperial Concubine is a fragrance winner. Fruity and strong. I'm pretty impressed with this rose all round. (what a happy event that I accidentally bought 2 :o) )

• lozza
    18 years ago

Tatjana, Camp David. Silly question, far too many. There was an item on Antique Rose forum recently about the classification of rose perfumes. Over 20 were mentioned as resembling this or that aroma base. Far too technical for me to make common sense of it. Have a look for it. Maybe Google can help?

• rross
    18 years ago

The Prince has a beautiful fragrance. It's definitely the nicest and strongest smelling of my roses - when it deigns to flower - and I bought them all for fragrance. By the way, I can't get over how true it is that some roses don't smell until you get them inside. The Prince smells good wherever it is, but I have a feeling that its high point will be a four-bloom spring display.

• Vivienne
    18 years ago

Take your pick from the Tea Roses. Lady Hillingdon would be near the top of my list with them. Adam has a fresh Tea fragrance. The Damask roses have that real 'Rose' fragrance with at least 2 of them, Kazanlik and Quatre Saison, are used for distilling rose oil for the perfume industry. Souvenir de la Malmaison may have her bad habits but she does have a fantastic fragrance when she decides to open her flowers. Another group you can take your pick from are the Galica Roses. Their flowering period my be fleeting every year campared to other roses but they can put on a show of both flowers and fragrance that can fill the garden on a warm spring day.
    Vivienne

• plaur
    18 years ago

Souvenir de la Malmaison
    Felicia
    Prosperity
    Reine des Violettes
    Francis Dubreuil
    Roserai de l'Hay.

Pam.

• meryl2
    18 years ago

I second the nominations for Francis Dubreuil and Radox Bouquet. Chrysler Imperial is a wonderfully perfumed red. And Aloha is a slightly strange standout in the perfume department: it has a beautiful and powerful perfume but one that is unlike any other rose that I have smelt. Sorry, I can't describe it as it was new in my garden last year. The perfume amazed me but I didn't come up with any comparisons at the time.
    Just looked up Chrysler Imperial and I see it is a parent of Mr Lincoln. And Botanica describes Aloha's fragrance as "apple blossom". Can't confirm as I don't believe I have ever smelt apple blossom.
    A floribunda with a lovely and powerful fragrance is Margaret Merril.

• scubamid
    18 years ago

Just had a good smell of Dioressence, a Delbard newly planted this year. Divine!!!!!!!!!!
    Definitely a candidate.
    Cheers
    Judy

• yvonne_a
    18 years ago

Two not mentioned yet and stop me in my tracks on my morning walk around the garden are Sutter's Gold and Tantau's Bernstein rose, both are fruity.. there are plenty more but I'll stop at 2.

Von.

• rosesforme
    18 years ago

I forgot to add in my previous post the rose

Chartreuse de Parme (Delbard)

I have that as new bare root so have my fingers crossed!
    Michelle

• plaur
    18 years ago

I forgot about
    Devoniensis.Wouldn't like to be without it.
    Pam.

• youngquinn_gw
    18 years ago

Diamond Jubilee, Ekstase . Ekstase is my most fragrant rose.

• Bluebelle_Riverina
    18 years ago

Mr Lincoln does it for me every time - it's such a "wafter". Just one in a vase of mixed roses makes you think that they are all heavily perfumed. Beats his brothers and parents in my garden.

My mauves produce plenty of scent - Fragrant Plum, Love Potion and Angel Face, as well as Queen Adelaide which is planted in my mauve bed because although she's pink she fades to a delightful pinky-mauve shade.

Aotearoa and The Children's Rose also produce a delightful scent. They are planted beside each other and I'm never sure which is the best.

• ginnybee
    18 years ago

Papa Meilland is always a beautiful perfume too
    Jan.

• Snodge
    18 years ago

Yeah, you're so right Ann. Just one in a vase is enough. Mr Lincoln would be top of my rose list bar none most of the time.

Fragrant Plum's not bad either, but has the down side of the brothers and can be a bit bare at the bottom.

• GarryK
    18 years ago

Oklahoma
    Sweet Juliet
    Abraham Darby
    Dioressence?...
    Winchester Cathedral
    Queen Adelaide

• Snodge
    18 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Deryn, interesting article. :o)

• gardengirlWA
    18 years ago

Hi Deryn
    where are we going to see this article published? In the WA Garden Guru's magazine by any chance? I will keep an eye out for it.
    cheers
    Rach

• Deryn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi
    in The West Australian. For a special spring special on Saturday October 8.
    cheers Deryn

• Lady_Jicky
    18 years ago

I have to say that I think the hybrid Tea "Fragrant Cloud" with its strong fruity sillage is the best you can get!! OK the colour is a bit strong (its a orangey /red) but, I do not care - I have a group of 7 and when you cut them and in a vase they go- well the room is full of parfum. Try this rose , you will not be sorry.

• kevarose
    18 years ago

Deryn

Good article - informative and makes one want to try these!

• ugg
    13 years ago

I will have a look it and see i can do anything.

I usually like to shopping too, today i bought a pair of ugg boots from www.buybootsireland.com, it is beautiful!

Here is a link that might be useful: UGG Boots

• funnelweb
    13 years ago

'Seduction'! That's my pick, followed by D.A's. 'Graham Thomas'. Other's though, come very close.

• strawchicago z5
    last year
    last modified: last year

Bump this up. Saw Radox Bouquet, Julie Andrews, Mirandy Lambert, Chrysler Imperial, and Perfume Breeze today May 14 at Home Depot, and Perfume Breeze beat them all as the best scent, can smell it 40 feet away with 5 pots together. Weather was hot & dry up to 90 F all week.