Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mistymorn_gw

Growing so well in the shade so far.

mistymorn
18 years ago

I decided to plant some of my Roses in the shade this year after having very disapointing results in full sun last year. I am amazed how well they are growing these two Climbing Crepuscule on the Arch planted bare rooted 6 weeks ago they have so many groups of five buds on the stems, the roses do not get much sun at all just a little in the mid-afternoon as they are planted near 60ft Gum trees on the western side of the block, as time goes by they will be getting a little more as the summer sun goes over head.

I just hope that they keep on growing as well as they are now , I am so excited at seeing all these new buds and can hardly wait till they open up Cheers...MM

One very small plant with five new buds.

{{gwi:2114076}}
Under the shade of the Gum trees they grow on the home made Arch.

{{gwi:2114077}}

Comments (19)

• Deryn
    18 years ago

MM I too have Crepuscule growing in the shade. Mine is near a Cedar deodar - she is about four metres from the trunk and performs very well - though she does get a touch of mildew.
    Deryn

• ashmeri
    18 years ago

They are looking as though they like it where they are.
    I saw a crepuscle rose bush in the new IGA store that has opened and nearly bought it but it and the other roses were looking very unhappy, maybe too much airconditioning but I wasn't sure.
    Now I am sorry that I didn't at lease. give it a chance for a life.

Your garden looks lovely, and all that Mulch you have spread around, wow.
    Marion

• rosesforme
    18 years ago

Hi MM

They are looking great.
    Maybe the shade will suit them.
    They are off to an excellent start!
    Michelle
    BTW the pics are great-cant believe those buds-I would be out of my mind with excitement!

• Brissy
    18 years ago

Wow, who would have thought! I cannot wait to see an update, they look so healthy. My Crep is in full sun in Brisbane so it will be interesting this Summer to see how they both go.

Cheers,

Brissy

• Snodge
    18 years ago

Yes, looking very happy, there mistymorn. I threw a crepescule up against a southern facing year before last I think, and it has thrived and flowered well, though though I wouldn't say abundantly. No sign of disease so far, though you'd think perhaps mildew could be a problem.
    Georgeous thing. It's already covered in well advanced new growth. I was toying with moving it out of the way of construction, but now I'm wondering whether the cost of replacement is worth the blooms the bush will give in a few weeks time..I'm thinking yes it is...

• lozza
    18 years ago

Mistymorn, Nice idea, but you fly in the face of all the experience in the world. Of course a rose will grow in shade. It won't flower very well, if at all. Dappled shade is better than full shade. The important question is why did it fail in full sun? Insufficient moisture around the roots would be my guess One swallow does not make a Summer. Consider your cultivation skills.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well Laurie have you ever grown roses in Qld, and no they were not lacking water they were also thickly mulched. But I will tell you what I didn't do and that was spray with Lime Sulfer, this year I have so maybe that is why my nineteen new bare rooted roses are flying away, some of them planted in the full shade and others planted in partical shade. I am just trying to find the perfect growing conditions for them here after all your weather down south is so much kinder to Roses.

And there is nothing wrong with my cultivation skills thank you very much having lived in Melbourne for 45 years, Townsville for 10 years, and the last 6 here in Brisbane I have had beautiful gardens and its not only Roses I grow, I try my hand at anything. Visit the Oz Gallery sometimes and see what I do grow.

And about growing roses in the sun here in queensland, you have to find the right ones and that is what Iam doing, testing the waters so to speak. trying to find the right ones for my block, if they dont do too well in the sun I will put them in the shade and if they dont do well there, then they are getting pulled out

I already grow some of my roses in the shade under huge Gums, my two Bonica's grow well there. Just Joey, Lovely Lady, Olympic Gold 2000 grow on the South West side and only get a little sun in the late afternoons, and I have no trouble with them as I have posted pics on the Oz Gallery many a time with their beautiful blooms. But sadly Apricot Nectar, Gold Bunny, La Sevillana and my favourite DA Mary Rose do not like full sun here at all the La Sevillana which is a beautiful red, rewards me with washed out pinky streaked blooms in mid summer, they have been moved in June so I will see how they go this summer.

And I learnt a lot from my dear Dad when he was teaching me gardening but one thing that stuck in my mind was.

"" If you cant say anything nice to someone dont say anything at all""

So have a wonderful day Laurie Cheers...MM

• happyjacq_bris
    18 years ago

I would have liked your Dad MM.Words of wisdom applicable to every situation. Yes I also have to say from all your posts and beautiful pictures in oz gallery I would say your cultivation skills are excellent and I have followed your advice with fantastic results....my bougs are growing nicely from cuttings tyvm.
    Full sun up here can be a bit problematic. My best performing roses only get morning sun...and even then I have to keep on top of black spot.
    Crepuscle is just so generous with her blooms that even if you only get half as many blooms as the melb growers with their rose friendly seasons, I think you will have heaps of blooms and probably a happier rose.
    Best of luck! More pics please!

• lozza
    18 years ago

Ooh, ooh, ooh, will someone please get the knife out of my back? I am suitably humbled, and I thoroughly deserved it, given all those nasty things I said about you.

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    18 years ago

And I have already forgiven you Laurie...Cheers.MM

• Lynne1
    18 years ago

Oh dear Lozza, Rofl, can see why you are not growing your angel wings yet, all the back biters have been having fun all these years.. Ill spray them with some lime sulphur if you like?

• ginnybee
    18 years ago

Well MM I must say that your new roses are miles ahead of mine I guess it is your climate mine are in pots till late spring due to frost strong enough to burn new foliage, I also have a Double Delight rose in a very hot spot & the sun reflects off the wall & those flowers are always getting burnt untill autumn I also look forward to seeing your first blooms
    Jan.

• wattleblossom
    18 years ago

Even here in the cool climate of the Blue Mountains, I've found full sun too much for some roses. 'Pat Austin' shrivels in the heat and, 'The Mayflower' isn't at all happy until she gets a little shade in the afternoon.

• new_comer
    18 years ago

Crepuscule is one rose which I have yet to fully understand. I bought two about three years ago and planted one against a new pergola with a few other roses and it has never look back since. Blooming profusely every summer. The other one was planted against a pillar in a slightly more southerly location with Larmaque casting a light shadow over it in early spring and late autumn. It does get full sun in the summer but it has sulked ever since.

Never to give up easily, last year, I planted another strong specimen, this time on the other side of the pergola where the first one did so well. By now the pergola is filled with roses planted three years earlier. Towards the end of last season, I observed that it too is loosing some of its vigour.

Crepuscule is supposedly one of those roses that does reasonably well in the shade but I still believe a combination of sun and root competition may be the cause of the problem.

• yasemin1au_yahoo_com_au
    13 years ago

I haven't posted here before, but I would love to comment on the 'shade issue' for roses.I live on the mid north coast of NSW and the way my roses perform varies incredibly from what the descriptions often offer. I am guessing because of the climate difference from where they originate (generally VIC or SA). I have a new crepescule which has only been planted 6 months, getting approx 5 hours of sun and it has taken off. blooming non stop since Sept. I have a new Munstead Wood ( 4 hours), supposedly only 1 metre x 80cm which has also been blooming non stop and is now over 1.5 metres high ! Veyrat Hermanos (5 hours), first season has gone wild. Mayor of Casterbridge (4 hours), sold as a small-medium climber is now 4 x 4 metres and nearly overtaking the neighbouring bouganvillea. Current disappointments include Souvenir de Mme Bullet ( 9 hours), climbing Black Boy ( 6 hours), William Christie and so far Variegata di Bologna (8 hours. I think some roses in our hot humid climate wish for more shade than those grown in cooler areas.

• triciac
    13 years ago

Hi Mary Ann, that is the first time in the past ten years or so I have ever seen you do your block, I don't think Lozza meant to criticise your gardening, if she did, she obviously is new to the Garden web or she would know of your lovely work and photos. Nice that you forgave so quickly.

• triciac
    13 years ago

Oops, no Lozza (Laurie) has been a member since 2003, so sorry about that

• mistymorn
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tricia. Laurie Newman was not a fan of mine, he always criticized what I did with my roses, he never let up.
    The Victorian climate and the Queensland climate are so different.
    I would not have the cheek to tell anyone in Victoria how to grow roses even though I lived there for 45 years and grew a few.

Seems Mrs Newman runs Reliable Roses these days which they both used to own, even so Laurie used to be a big name in the Rose World.

My two Crepuscules on the Arch still have blooms on them when its flowering season, sitting in water for many weeks they survived too.
    Where Julia's Rose, Brass Band and a couple of others did not make it.

{{gwi:2114078}}

{{gwi:2114079}}

Now that those two are so much taller they do get a little late afternoon sun as it filters through the tall gum trees.

These two older photos below were taken a couple of years ago.

{{gwi:2114080}}

{{gwi:2114081}}

• triciac
    13 years ago

Really lovely Mary-Ann. You are right though what works for one doesn't always work for another. I have so many dead branches from where I pruned last year I begin to doubt my own ability sometimes, but as there is only me to worry about, I don't! (Did that make sense?)