SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
totalli

Rootstock for Roses in Perth

totalli
11 years ago

My daughter had just given me a gift of half a dozen bagged bare rooted roses. It seems however that they are grown on Dr Huey (?) rootstock rather than the Fortuniana that I am more familiar with.

I am a bit dismayed to read around the web that this rootstock is just not suitable for metropolitan Perth WA where I am. Is this actually the case? Does it mean that I would be better off not planting them (suggestions on how to tell my daughter are very welcome!) or is there some special care I could give these so that they grow reasonably?

My soil is basic sand but has been fairly well enriched and built up over the last few years. I don't want to hurt her feelings but are they as "doomed" as seems to be the impression I get from googling around?

The varieties she has bought are Bonica, Papa Meilland, Mr Lincoln and Champagner. I have previously grown all of these other than Champagner but they would have been on a different rootstock.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am no great shakes as a gardener but have previously grown roses with moderate success. I don't mind fussing over these a bit more than usual if that would help!

Comment (1)

Sponsored