Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID Chilli plant bug please

Posted by EmeryBB Vic (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 16, 13 at 18:28

First time poster here, need some help with bugs on an old hot chilli plant. This plant is 5 years old I believe, those bugs are only on the branches and stems only, any ideas? Thanks.

Edit: I can scrape them off the stem but they seem to embed themselves into the bark, so when I scrape them I also scrape off a bit of bark.

Additional pics.
 photo PC177757.jpg

photo PC177753.jpg

This post was edited by EmeryBB on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 3:27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID Chilli plant bug please

That's scale insect; a sap-sucking bug that is often 'farmed' by ants. If you check the truck or branches of the bush you'll probably find ants going up and down, they farm the scale for 'honey-dew'. White oil or a cocoction made from kitchen oil diluted with water will do the trick; it has the effect of clogging up their mouths. Also if there's ants you could try a ring of petroleum jelly around the lower part of the truck and that'll stop the ants travelling up and down. Personally I use a systemic spray on them but that isn't always effective.

o

Thanks funnelweb, No I haven't seen any ants but I've only got this plant recently from my aunt who has just moved house. She dug up 4 big chillies so I got one. Since half of the roots are lost, I potted it up and pruned it down to 3 main branches with a few green laterals. It was then I discovered all green laterals got these little critters.

Can I scrape them off? or just leave them alone? not a big fan of spraying stuff.

This post was edited by EmeryBB on Tue, Dec 17, 13 at 19:22

o

Well, if you've got the time and patience, just scape them off. Might be an on-going job though.

Merry Christmas to ya.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here