Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yucca Plant disease

Posted by barb_tom Texas (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 12, 06 at 8:32

I just bought an indoor Yucca plant last week, (10 inch pot) and the lady at the store told me to buy organic compost and use it on all my plants, so I put it around the yucca as soon as I brought it home. Now, It already has leaves that are turning yellow and have black spots on them. I want to keep it as an indoor plant.........I haven't watered it yet, because I tend to over water everything, and was told you don't water yuccas that much.....

What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yucca Plant disease

g'day barb_tom,

not sure mate could be lots of variables?

some pic's may help.

but for indoor plants yes watch the watering but most importantly is light level they need good light and what we percieve by eye is not the same thing, also no direct sun through glass.

we used to just add some slow release fertiliser about once a year (buyt the long lasting stuff), so not sure what it is that she has sold you?

could also be that the older leaves are going to be lost as the plant adapts to its new conditions.

if you have white walls or using a say an a4 size piece of paper held flat on the wall you can do a light test.

hold your open hand app' 10"s away from the wall and see how well or not the shadow of you hand is defined, the sharper the shadow the better the light and the fuzzier the shadow the worse the light, the ideal a nice sharp shadow.

and the other enemy of indoor plants air conditioning and central heating. along with the normal dry humidity of indoors humidity can be increased by the addition of say a fish tank or just have some buckets of water around like 1 per room, also spray mist the foliage say every second day, or stand the potted plant on a tray filled with little stones and water added.

len

Here is a link that might be useful: lens garden page

o
RE: Yucca Plant disease

Hi, I have two Yucca plants which I transplanted from a neighbors yard about 10+ years ago. They have done fine until today. We were putting a stake in to hold up the flower stalk on one of them and we noticed they both were covered with a black, flying insect. And I do mean covered! We sprayed both plants with a general flying insect spray and they swarmed away or flew into nearby trees. My question is, do you know (without privy of a picture) what these might be? The flower stalks are over 6 feet tall so it was impossible for us to get a good look at them. They did resemble a small stinkbug bug, and they did fly. But other than that I can't say. I have searched the Internet and can find nothing that vaguely resembles what these were under "Yucca pests". Do you think we have rid ourselves of these pests? Any info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here