Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pests on Callistemon

Posted by pennyw74 NSW (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 3:20

Hi

My callistemon is being attacked by pests and I'm really not sure what they are and then how to treat it.

Could somebody please help?

I have attached photos.

Thanks

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pests on Callistemon

Here is another photo of a different stem. It's happening on most of the bush.

o

Those black spots on the leaves appear to be hard scales; native honeyeaters often keep them under control on callistemons but their absent can lead to infestations that can be difficult to control. Ongoing spraying with a white-oil mixture is the usual treatment, but the coverage over the insects must be thorough.
B.

o

I dunno, sometimes I type out a response/message press the right butoons, come back the next day and it hasn't worked. My fault or this sometimes unstable site?
Anyway, I agree with Ted except I thought that black scale was 'hard' scale, not that it makes any difference the remedy is the same. My reference (Encyclopedea of Aus Gardening) says that native honey-eater birds usually keep the scales under control. Do you have any of those about, pennyw?
B.

o

Hi funnelweb, I have just posted more photos in the other Australian Native Plants forum of more pests I've found on my callistemon - what do you think they are?

o

I'll go have a look, see if I can find it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here