Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pests on Callistemon

Posted by pennyw74 NSW (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 14 at 3:20

Hi

My callistemon is being attacked by pests and I'm really not sure what they are and then how to treat it.

Could somebody please help?

I have attached photos.

Thanks

Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pests on Callistemon

Here is another photo of a different stem. It's happening on most of the bush.

o

Those black spots on the leaves appear to be hard scales; native honeyeaters often keep them under control on callistemons but their absent can lead to infestations that can be difficult to control. Ongoing spraying with a white-oil mixture is the usual treatment, but the coverage over the insects must be thorough.
B.

o

I dunno, sometimes I type out a response/message press the right butoons, come back the next day and it hasn't worked. My fault or this sometimes unstable site?
Anyway, I agree with Ted except I thought that black scale was 'hard' scale, not that it makes any difference the remedy is the same. My reference (Encyclopedea of Aus Gardening) says that native honey-eater birds usually keep the scales under control. Do you have any of those about, pennyw?
B.

o

Hi funnelweb, I have just posted more photos in the other Australian Native Plants forum of more pests I've found on my callistemon - what do you think they are?

o

I'll go have a look, see if I can find it.

o

Its Psyllid. It common in lilly pillys.You can treat with Confidor before the new growth sprouts. It will kill off the scale to. Affected foliage can be trimmed off or left if u dont mind its appearance.

Tim

o

It that a Fireball Callistemon?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here