Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants to grow to keep mosquitoes away

Posted by danann NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 15, 03 at 18:16

Are there any plants that I can grow in pots that will keep mosquitoes away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants to grow to keep mosquitoes away

According to my 'old' books Chamomile is the most recomended as a mossie repelant plant. However in practice I have found nothing really drives 'em away. Crushed Tomato leaves rubbed on exposed skin seems to keep them off my wife and I when we're in the garden. HTH teddy,J

o

There is a pelagonian that I have found very usefull. Not sure of its complete name, (I call it the mosquito plant) but it is a geranium, and when it is watered or it is windy, the aroma is just beautiful - and apparently the mossies don't like it.

o

• Posted by Amelie SE QLD Aust (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 18, 03 at 8:42

Don't know the correct name - I just call it lemon scented geranium - grows like a weed here in Brisbane.

o

Just read about using an atomiser with rosemary, spearmint or geranium oils sprayed around when on the patio, or used in a burner. You can spray no more than 5 times a day on the clothes or skin. The list of plants to grow in pots also included Lemon thyme, lemon balm and Lavenders.

o

Don't waste your time. The plant industry seems to delight in creative marketing to sell plants.
The amount of repellent eg. citronella a plant releases is very small and air currents will disperse the repellent. Even if there was sufficient citronella etc. it will depend on whether you are down wind of the plant to get any benefit.

Doug.

o

woulld you please sent the details photo of this plant,
it is possible the plants grow in tropis (INDONESIA)
how long it's take to grow?

o

Basil, feverfew, fennel, garlic, lavender, lemon balm, marigold, tea-tree, spearmint, pennyroyal, lemon scented geranium, neem, rosemary, southernwood or yarrow will all help repel mosquitoes. As will almost any strong-scented herb.

The lemon-scented geranium (Pelargonium crispum minor) is often touted as the Mozzie Zapper plant and even sometimes as Citronella plant, though the real citronella plant is a close relative of lemongrass.

To be really effective, however, the essential oils of the plants have to be released in some way, usually by crushing the leaves, rubbing the leaves onto the skin, brushing up against the plants, burning them (on a barbecue for instance) etc. If you grow such plants around your outdoor living areas in profusion, and encourage guests to keep touching them, some protection will be offered. Making personal skin repellent mixtures with the essential oils and a carrier oil is undoubtedly more effective. If you're going to burn citronella candles and the essential oils in special oil-burners, you need quite a lot of them, but they do work.

Mosquitoes are attracted to the colours yellow and blue, and they prefer women and children over men, and go for those people who eat a lot of sweet things.

o

Hey Tjanti, is it the pelagonium you are interested in? I have looked up in Botanica to try to get a better description for you. Closest I find is Pelargonium Mabel Grey, vigorous cultivar, has lemon scented leaves taht are rough, serrated edged and deeply lobed, pale purple flowers with red markings. Considered to be the most strongly scented pelargonium. Also, according to Botanica, grows Zones 8-11 - Indonesia appears to be Zones 11-12, so if you are in a milder area, and can get hold of a cutting, you should be able to grow it. Don't disregard DaisyDuckworth's mention of Pelargonium Cripsum, although, in my "bible", there is no mention of its aroma, although the picture looks right - also Ok for zones 9-11. Good luck in getting hold of cuttings

o

Doug,
Agree with you. While investigating midges (sandflies)some years back I tried the Pelagonium spp. 'Mozzie buster'and found it useless in confusing midges or mosquitoes by Moreton Bay, Queensland.

Mossies and midges are attracted to the carbon dioxide and various cetyl alcohols you give off especially from your toes (hence excessive ankle biting). The terrible DEET does work, unless you bathe your exposed skin in any oil (canola is cheap) and the mozzy/midge can't get through the oil layer. The aboriginals used this method with fish oil hundreds of years ago so it is not new.

Our bad midge (C.subimmaculatus) comes out the day before quarter moon (neap tide) so don't mow your lawn or dig the garden on that day or for the next 5 days otherwise the carbon dioxide given off by the cut plants or aerated soil will attract all the biteys within 500 m to your patch.

The rainforest-in-the-backyard loving midge (Lasiohelia townsvillensis)is much harder to dodge so I have to use the dreaded DEET.

o

One of the big growers of herbs in Australia looked into this in a scientific way a few years ago, and he reported that no claims can be made on any plants being mozzie or fly repellent. Bummer!
Cherry

o

I dont knoww of any plants that keep them away they are very bad this year. they seem to be attracted to our garden. Apparently spraying mouthwash(listerine) the yellow one thatt has alcohol in it will keep black flies and mosquitos away.. not sure if it works although I am looking for a cure of the blood suckers myself. if you know any plants that may grow wild or so please let me know.. thanx
Heaven-lee from northern Saskatchewan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here