Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Black caterpillar with very obvious yellow spots ?

Posted by ttaniaa Sydney (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 31, 02 at 19:17

Apart from snails, these creatures are the only things i have been able to find eating away, mostly at my impatiens & coleus.
They are about 2cm long, very black and have a line of bright yellow spots the length of their body. I've not seen that many of them, but those i have, are definitely munching away!
Any ideas what this is & what i should do about them?
Thanks in advance from an appreciative beginner.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Black caterpillar with very obvious yellow spots ?

They love the impatiens, don't they? And by golly can they get through it, and don't they get huge in the process? I don't have that problem since I left Sydney for Queensland, but I found the only solution was to squish them as soon as you spot them. You could try chilli/garlic spray to try and make the leaves unpalatable. Annette

o

My nephews just found some "caterpillars?" matching your description. They are about an inch long, jet black with distinct round yellow spots along the sides. Totally smooth, no hairs or bumps. The six true legs in the front are longer and splayed out to the sides more than other caterpillars. The "legs" at the rear seem to be non-functional. They are also gregarious, I have a cup full of them. These were found eating willow leaves. Anyone have a clue?

o

I've identified my "caterpillars" as being the larvae of the Willow Sawfly

Here is a link that might be useful: Willow Sawfly

o

My daughter used to collect them when she was small, usually from impatiens....she fed them in a bug catcher, hoping for butterflies.....they grew HUGE, and out came huge brown moths, looked like bogen moth but not sure what they were, nasty looking, since then we've fed them to birds.....

o

These caterpillars are the larvae of a native hawk moth. I can't remember its name, but it's a fairly drab looking creature.

o

Davidi is right, they are called Hawk Moths. I always wear gloves when prunning impatiens because they spray a green liquid that causes itching and rashes.
They only eat impatiens, and can destroy an established impatien overnight !
They are currently mauling my seashell yellow impatiens.
Being an animal lover, I can not spray the buggars!!!!
So I just throw them over the fence into a walkway.
ALthough they probably do die from starvation (not being near my impatiens anymore) birds probably eat them.
The moth is an ugly looking thing too. It's just brown and ugly. I grow impatiens really close to each other so they form a hedge agaist a wall that is always shaded. There are many in that one. But the real damage is to my seashell ones,where it is just the 2 plants growing, it's really noticable because they arn't clumped together.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pests & Diseases Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here