SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
traceyc_gw

mulching cottage gardens

traceyc
16 years ago

Hello all, I'm a new member of this forum, with a large traditional cottage garden in central Victoria, which I inherited four years ago. Along with a few evergreen perennial shrubs and roses, it is filled with many beautiful flowers each spring/summer - achillea, valerian, asters, poppies, penstemons etc, and come late autumn-winter I've been chopping these back to the ground, which I have read is the right thing to do (yes? comments anyone?).

The problem - grass has invaded and due to other commitments in the past year I've had less time for gardening, so it has run rampant. I've tried digging out the roots, but it only comes back again. I've tried filling gaps with perrenials which help a little but it's a large area to plant and I haven't been able to cover all the ground. Also, I'm digging up the root systems of many of the plants and no doubt causing damage. Once the self seeders come up the beds are chock-full of flowers so any grass isn't visible, but I really want to get rid of it! A local nurseryman has advised hay/straw mulching, but I'm concerned that if I do this to stop the grass coming up, the above mentioned plants and self seeders won't come up either. Does anyone have any advice/experience on this?

Also, whilst of course mulching in spring/summer is the answer to keeping weeds/grass down/moisture in - how do you mulch around densely flowering areas without squashing everything?

I hope these questions don't sound silly but with all the reading I've done and knowledge I've gained looking after this garden the past few years, I'm still confounded on this! Thanks for your replies in advance.

Comments (3)

Sponsored