Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bernard_qld

Flowers on black bat plant (Tacca chantrierii)?

bernard_qld
20 years ago

I am wondering if there is more than one species of Tacca that is called/sold as Black Bat plant? I have seen photos of some that have an upright inflorescence (very similar to T. integrifolia) while mine has a very short flower stalk and the flowers are just above soil level. Are these maybe two different species of black bat plant? Anyone with an idea?

Comments (8)

• hanwc
    20 years ago

Hi Bernard,

I got two bat plants (the white one), one is actually the offset of the mature mother plants. The little one simply produces short flower stalk compared to the mother plant where the flower stalk can be more than 2 feet and the flowers are huge. So, I'm guessing the short flower stalk is simply plant age dependent.

• aroideana
    20 years ago

Also I think that some hybrids may have accidently been done here in Australia between the black and white Taccas.
    I know hybrids are being sold in America.

• hanwc
    20 years ago

I heard about green bat plant before. Has anyone seen this before? What other colour of bat flower is available?

• greencroc
    20 years ago

Hi Bernard,Tony Wong Temple Nursery sells them he may be able to help you out on them he is very good on knowledge.

• caerulea
    19 years ago

The green bat plant is Tacca laevis. I've got a number of seedlings I'm trying to grow to see how they do. The flowering stem looks simular to the black, but with a dark green flower with mulberry tones. It is held on a long stem well above the plant, so is easy to see. The white is still the most spectacular, but the green adds to this beautiful genus of plants. I grow the White Bat cold to 0C and IÂm hoping the Green is as hardy.

• pilotkh4
    19 years ago

Hello,
    There is also another green Tacca which is native to the N.T. may also range further north into Indonesia and P.N.G but not sure. It is Tacca leontapetaloides, leaves are reminiscent of Amorphallus. In fact, as it grows in close proximity to Amorphophallus paeoniflorus it can be hard to distinguish between the two when the leaves first appear. Flowers not as spectacular as T. integrifolia or chantrierii but if you collect Taccas your collection needs one! I suspect that it is only tropical and not frost hardy although it is dormant in the Northern dry season so it may be worth a try planted nice and deep. I grow this as well as the black and white varieties both in group plantings and singularly. Mine all tend to produce short flower stalks when they are young, crowded near the edge of the pot or at the beginning of the flowering season. Also when they get too much sun.
    I hope this helps, e-mail me if you would like to try the T. leontapetaloides and I will collect some seed when it sets.
    Regards,
    Brendon

• Amelie
    19 years ago

I have a baby one and have had two flowers so far. The stems are short and touching the ground.

• bernard_qld
    Original Author
    19 years ago

This summer, the black one made an upright flower stem for its first flower for the year, but all following flower stems are horizontal again. This is not light related, but I suspect maybe a fertiliser effect.
    T. leontopetaloides I have found is not critical with temperature (as long as it is above freezing) but very prone to rotting. This one really needs to be kept dry in winter.

Sponsored
Potomac Shores Cabinetry
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Loudoun County's Well-Designed Spaces and Custom Crafted Cabinetry