SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sixftblonde

Mealy Bug?

sixftblonde
19 years ago

Hi, I am new to this forum and sure do need some help. A little background first. I live on a small island that belongs to Houduras, the island is in the Carrebean and is called Roatan. We have built a new house on a piece of land that has never been under cultivation. Never have worked with tropicals much in my past so this is all very new to me. The up side being I found numerous wild orchids, hibiscus, mallows, palms vines ect. growning in the yard. But I am having problems with what I belive is mealy bugs, and they seem to love the hibicus, but have moved on to tomatoes, crotons and various others. The biggest problem in being where I am is no access to nurserys or such wonders as Home Depot, thus no access to chemicals to control such problems. I am wondering if anyone knows of a treatment to try. I have used WD40 and it does work but the hibiscus are not pleased with it, but then I wouldn't be either if some one tried spraying that all over me. I am wondering about companion planting for control, but have not been able to find out much about it. Am thinking maybe planting some garlic around the yard would help? Any sugestions would be most appreciated.

Also if any one has any information on growing in the tropics in a location such as mine with limited access to produces for gardening I would love to hear from them.

Thanks

Linda

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz