Return to the Tropical Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tropical plants for a pool area

Posted by SunshineKelm WA Aust (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 15, 04 at 21:12

Hi, I am new here. My husband and I just bought our first house. The gardens are in a pretty sad state but we are working on them.
I would just like to ask for some advice and suggestions.
In our pool area, we have 3 palm trees ( soory I have no idea what they are, they have bunches of balls on them if that helps) and also roses and a lot of weeds. I was thinking of having tropical gardens in the pool area. There are 3 small gardens ion it, eash with their own palm. Now, the roses look odd in there so I was going to take them out. I have a bird of paradise plant that I was going to put in there, can you suggest any other tropical plants? I like colour. I have many zygote plants, in pots, that I has going to use to decorate the walls as they have the most beautiful flowers. Are zygotes tropical??
Any ideas, I am open to anything.
Thanks
Sunshine
(PS, feel free to email me )

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tropical plants for a pool area

May i suggest lots of Cordylines under planted with Rhoeo and edged with liriope - this will give an instant effect.
Oh,and lose the roses!!

o

My suggestion is to bring in some more palms underplanted with liriope,Heliconias and Clivia.

o

All good suggestions so far : the only thing that I can add is that Bromeliads are incredibly hardy and quite beautiful - just be careful not to over-water them (a topup in the plants 'funnel' on a periodic basis should be plenty).

o

How about some Croton, for colour, no roses. Gardenia look cool around a pool. Cycads ( Sago Palm). Gingers

o

If you are in Perth, climate would probably be a bit too cool for most crotons and Heliconias. Instead of Heliconias may some of the hardier gingers such as Hedychium species or variegated Alpinia.
Andrew.

o

Do you mean Zygocactus or Zygopetalum orchids? Both are tropical and do well in Perth but are best kept in pots. Red margined Dracenas do really well down this way and look very tropical.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here