Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ari_wh

termites attack

ari_wh
19 years ago

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to keep termites away from trees. For some reason, my yard and 5 other houses around me have VERY BAD termites problem, more so than any other area.... They don't worry the heliconias and gingers too much, but I am trying to grow rambutan trees and I just don't want them to get the tree until it is fully established.

I think my jackfruit trees are suffering from the attack too, as I can see some dead branches on the top of the trees. If there is nothing I can do... I think I must just stick with banana.... (sigh...).

Thanks, Ari :)

Comments (7)

• Tropigal80
    19 years ago

The best thing to do is contact DPI in darwin they have some good ag-notes on termites. I've heard that they don't like chicken manure, but I don't think that this will help already established trees.

• bernard_qld
    19 years ago

I presume you have a problem with M. darwiniensis, which eats anything with cellulose, ie. even green plants, not necessarily trees. This termite is a major problem and I don't think there is much you can do about it. They joy of living in Arnhem Land ;-)

• kwid
    19 years ago

it occurs to me that when you water ,water thoroughly so that the soil is really wet as termites build mounds to get away from really wet soil and heavy watering must disrupt their tunnels.grew citrus here and white washed the trunks to aid in cooling then I noticed a black spot on the trunk and it was where the termites had gone through I then poisoned them but if you kept at it with the hose and left the hole open it would increase your chances good luck I lose a lot to termites over here.

• ari_wh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone...

I water my trees very thoroughly every day.... but I was just wondering whether there is more effective way of getting rid of them. I am sure my coconut trees are full of them, but I am keeping it till it dies just to keep the termites from eating my other palms (especially the triangle palm - which is apparently they love). And everytime I found termite mounds, I just run the hose and make sure I got every termites..

Bernard,
    We got everything.... from a tiny little one to a great big giant one.... For some reason, just 4-5 houses around my house are really bad. I think the big nest is here somewhere..... (sigh).

Regards, Ari :)

• Tropigal80
    19 years ago

Mastotermes actually prefer moist condtions and considering that they survive the wet season, I don't think that they will be driven away with water. The chemical that used to be used for control of the termites is myrant (myrex) however due to the nature of the product it has been taken off the market. You might still be able to find some around though. DPI is currently trying some new chemicals, hopefully they'll find something soon.
    Palms are very suseptible to attack, If you are after shade trees, Weeping Rosewoods, African Mahoganys and most Natives are resistant.

• wollemia_TC
    19 years ago

When I lived in Jabiru I decided to have a mango tree in the back yard. It grew brilliantly to about 3 metres then bent over at ground level(with a perfectly healthy-looking top)and lay on the ground. At autopsy the bark was intact & healthy but the inside was empty - no sign of wood at all!
    Horrible little critters! Maybe regular burning off would keep them a bit controlled. Do you think you would like to restart your garden every 2 years?
    Tony

• ari_wh
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well.... they eat everything and anything.... At the moment, they are not too bad. I just have to save my rambutan and jackfruit trees.... If I can't, I will definitely stick with banana (sigh......).

I hope DPI can come up with something soon otherwise not worth planting any fruit trees....

Regards, Ari :)