Return to the Tropical Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plant suggestions!

Posted by georgio1992 Melbourne (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 10:41

Hi everyone

I have a tropical/rainforest garden and need help with plants

Can anyone suggest tropical/rainforest looking plants that grow good in full sun/part shade in conditions 9� - 35�degrees

Plants must not grow to big. Eg large trees
Need exsesive pruning
Evergreen all year round

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plant suggestions!

Excuse me as a non-Australian for saying this but Melbourne is not a tropical/rainforest area. You will be better off growing Mediterranean type plants - Ian..

o

Ohh I agree that's why I said tropical (looking) so far I have got croton plants and bangalow palms and there growing nicely despite they are originally tropical plants

o

George some years ago we had a week in Melbourne and went around the Botanical gardens. We were very surprised at the species that grow away from their home territory.

There were some Queensland native trees surviving well.

I would take a day roaming with a note book or camera and ID the ones you like with some of the staff.

Some years prior to that we were on the shores of Bass strait and I took some seeds of an attractive shrub from a garden and managed to grow them 2000k north above Brisbane.

Then there are some that are very limited of course. A good example of that is the Lipstick Palm, will not grow south of Mackay.

It's all good fun trying.

o

Hi nod

Totally agree with you. If it grows it grows no harm in trying

A little off topic here( this will sound STUPID just an idea over a topic I saw once about plants and natural gasses)

A lot of tropical trees grow down here in Melbourne and apparently tropical and non tropical trees don't produce the same "gasses" or dioxide watever it's called due to there climate and area???

If that's true if every one is Melbourne had a garden with plants that manly grow in warmer tropical climates. Is there a chance our weather could change to a more tropical climate due to different production of gasses in the area?

o

You're too close to Antarctica, a constant source of cold air moving up. If you could get the winds to stay more northerly all year you'd stand a better chance.

On the plants issue, there's a lot of tropical plants that many people don't consider "tropical looking". There are a lot of non-tropical plants that people feel are "tropical looking". It becomes a value judgement, what ever turns you on. The thing is to look for plants that look tropical to you and plant them. It can never be tropical rainforest in Melbourne, but it can look like it if you try.

However, whether a place is tropical or not depends on a lot more than types of gasses produced by plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here