Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melmat_gw

Happy 2nd Birthday little garden

melmat
20 years ago

Easter is here again which reminded me of 2 years back when my husband and I started our tropical garden.Now it has become my passion,a release,a sanctuary,a place to escape,a haven.

I never thought gardening could be so rewarding.I've met the most wonderful,generous people and look forward to watching the garden mature over the years

Comments (7)

• Ian_Wintle
    20 years ago

I know the feeling so well.
    Ian

• Tamoure
    20 years ago

I know just how you feel. We had an extremely stressful 2003. Many people who we thought of as close friends looked the other way or turned their back on us when we badly need their help. But creating a new tropical garden has helped us to keep our sanity and restore our badly affected health to near normal again. Just watching the new plants grow has been wonderful therapy.

• kezza
    20 years ago

When I read your post it felt like I was reading my own words!! We too have had a year that has pushed us to the limits in every way.....my garden is the palce I go to forget everything else and where the only thing that matters is the new growth, brilliant colours and the pleasure I have from seeing my garden grow. Our garden was native when we moved into our home and now it is totally tropical. I have planted everything with the exception of one beautiful corydline which was provided me with all the cordylines (with the exception of a few for variety) in my garden. My mother and grandmother are gardeners and it has finally in my blood too!!!!

• dockers
    20 years ago

G'day! I hope your palms do well. I'm new to this sort of thing so check out my question about coconuts for info on the heat cables. Sorry about the mix up!! Good luck.

• artiew
    20 years ago

Good luck melmat - I can imagine how wonderful you must be feeling at this point. My own garden is less than 6 months old, but I am proud of the fact that I have taken a 'blank canvas' (except for two Royal Cuban palms..) on a 700 sq m block and turned it into something which actually resembles a garden (tropicals, natives and exotics, depending on which part of the garden you wander into). I was originally wary of planting tropical plants, but the results thus far have been encouraging, and I am looking forward to the fruit of my labour in 2-3 years and beyond.

At 45, my only regret is that I spent so many years with little or no appreciation for the joy of gardening. I think the word 'sanctuary' is apt - people talk of the healing power of pets, but nothing beats being surrounded by healthy foliage for mine.

• sterculias
    19 years ago

Too right there.

Sit by the pond, a cool drink and listen to the water fall and watching the birds in the trees and the dragonflies buzz over the surface of the water. A stress free way to spend time, particularly at this time of the year.

Doug.

• ashmeri
    19 years ago

Just had a reread of older postings.
    The saying " A Garden is a lovesome thing "
    comes to mind every time Henry & I walk in our garden as we had a really bad and sad year in 2003.
    We think of the people who gave us plants and just love watching them grow and enjoy living in our environment even though some of them come from very far away.
    Many of the plants don't have their real name just call them by the name of the person who gave it to us.
    Marion