Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
artiew

Watering Bougainvillea

artiew
19 years ago

Hi All,

Unlike many tropical plants, Bougainvillea dont like wet feet. This has made me somewhat paranoid in terms of how often I should be watering my recently planted 'Pagoda Pink'. I water my palms, bromeliads, ferns etc twice a week, but I fear that this may be overkill for the Bougainvillea. Rocky has a particularly unforgiving climate, and it doesnt take much for plants to dehydrate here, but I've read that B'villea will recover more readily from dehydration than from over-watering.

Any tips ?

Cheers,

Artie

Comments (14)

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

Yes I would put Bougainvillea's on the "Cant kill them" list after what has happened to a few on mine the past two years.

I also agree with watering when young but not too much as they cannot absorb a lot of water or food, and when they settle down they dont need it so I am now leaving them longer so that they flower well, But they do need water in the hot dry months dont forget Bougainvillea's thrive on neglect I prune often so now have lovely bushy shrubs where before they had long canes with not many flowers on them and heading for the sky.

My neighbour hardly every waters hers and they are a mass of flowers at different times of the year, she said it was only since I pruned them for her they have done this, they are on my side fence so get pruned often to promote bushy growth rather than canes but never when I see the bracts starting to colour

MM

• Grant_fnq
    19 years ago

Around Rocky, Bouganvilleas thrive on neglect. The most spectacular displays I have seen have been vines planted on farming properties around Rockhampton in long abandoned and overgrown gardens where they never get any more watering than that which falls naturally. Some of the hybrids may be a bit less hardy, but they are not easy to kill and they give their best display of flowers after a stressful dry season. Here in Cairns, where it is much wetter, they grow too fast and leggy, and rarely flower as prolifically as in the drier climates.
    Grant

• Rose_Qld
    19 years ago

I think "recently planted" is the key: regular, deepish waterings until you think the roots are starting to move out. I've got lots of mature bougs at Rocky that are never watered and do fine; a Raspberry Ice in M'kay that's in a more watered tropical bed and does fine but inclined to do water shoots, and several in medium size pots that need a good drink every 1-2 days, 9 months of the year anyway. The potted ones let me know if they've been forgotten. They flower well provided I remember to feed and prune them. Rose.

• artiew
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks to all who replied - very helpful. Its reassuring to know that I have at least one plant in my garden that wont curl up its toes if I forget to water it :)

Once I get my natives past the 1 year mark, I am hoping that they will look after themselves (perhaps a fortnightly watering at the height of our blistering Summer). The tropical rear corner, however, will always need attention in Rocky's semi-arid climate. Roll on Spring !

Cheers,

Artie

• wollemia_TC
    19 years ago

I grew lots of bougainvilleas in New Guinea rainfalls 3000mm per year plus and they thrived. You won't drown them ever as long as there is adequate drainage.
    Tony

• ashmeri
    19 years ago

After they have been established "Treat 'em mean and keep them keen " is the way to go.
    They love to be pruned and can live anywhere you put them.
    In pots they need more water than in the ground .
    Marion

• ari_wh
    19 years ago

While we are talking about bougainvillea, is there any way to prune them so they don't came back thorny and become bushier? I saw it in Burke's Backyard show sometime ago but I can't remember. Anyone knows?

Regards, Ari :)

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

Ari I am always pruning mine,(see one of the above )like as soon as they get to about 50cms long I prune them about one third, but stop pruning when the bracts are starting to colour otherwise you have chopped off the flowers.

I also find that when the plant is bushier the thorns are so much smaller, so perhaps they are putting all their energy into producing new leaves and flowers instead of new thorns.

One that I planted about 12 months ago is now 1800cm ( 6 ft) high and wider, is it a huge rounded shrub with masses of lilac flowers on it at present and looks magnificent, so just go for it, flowers are better than those long thorny canes any time. Hopes this helps.

MM

• artiew
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks again for all the response - incredible !

Friday nights BB, and the current magazine, contained a section on the bougainvillea - the archway at Brissie's southbank was a testament to just how good this plant can look if its properly pruned. Interesting to note that the guy pruning it wasnt being dainty in terms of how much he lopped off it, and the advice on water shoots was to cut them right off the plant as soon as they appear - you'll have a more compact plant with less thorns. I'll be watching the development of the 'thornless' B'via with interest - mine doesnt have too many grazing animals to worry it, so the thorns are a bit of a nuisance :)

• greathawks
    19 years ago

How do you grow a boug standard. I have tried a couple of times without success. I train a string growth to a stake until it reaches the desired height, then i pinch out the top and nothing. No side shoots just a few pathetic leaves is all I end up with. I keep the lower part of the stem free of shoots to encourage growth at the top but I fail every time.

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

Hi I think your problem is removing all the growth this seems to slow it down, as it needs the leaves to photosynthesize food for the plant.

It is best to wait until you start forming the head before you remove foliage. Hopes this helps.

MM.

• kath70
    19 years ago

can you Propagate bougainvillea. would like to put into a pot and take to new house. thanks.

• mistymorn
    19 years ago

Yes no problem Kath I have done so many the past two mionths, the ones I did in October and early November now have lots of leaves on them some have small flowers, but I will not plant into the garden till I see lots of roots coming out of the bottom. They are from soft tips,

I also potted a pruning last July from the thicker hard wood it has masses of roots now.

For cuttings now :---All I do it take a cutting but try and rip it of the branch so that you have a kind of heel on it and it is a bit ragged dip the stem in hormone powder or gell (I use honey) and pot it up just normal potting mix. If you cannot get a heel piece, cut it just below a bud and scrape the edges. In about two months maybe less it will root

Take a few as sometimes they dont all survive I am having trouble now but thats the weather. I found a link from another site about growing them I put some pics on it of my cuttings do have a look.And good luck, and enjoy your new house too. Cheers.

MM.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bougainvillea cuttings