Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mexican_cottage

Moving hibiscus

mexican_cottage
20 years ago

I want to shift a lovely hot pink ruffled hibiscus of unknown age[could be as much as 30 years old as the previous owner subscribed to the slash and burn school of gardening and was in the house that long]but am scared of killing it.

Is there a good time and method?

I thought of cutting back severely and digging up as much of the root as possible but it keeps on flowering and I can't quite bring myself to the sticking point.

It's just too big for it's position near the clothes line and I tried pruning back hard but it grew back so quickly I could see myself having to prune monthly and never getting the flowers.Meanwhile the clothes get caught up and smeared with aphids.Any suggestions?

Comments (5)

• ari_wh
    20 years ago

Well, we moved our hibiscus about 8 months ago when we moved to our house and it was a big effort. It was for the same reason... that it was simply in the wrong spot. We took most of the roots and cut it back severely too... It did not like it and suffered for a bit, but we gave it heaps of water and the fact that it was just before the wet season helps too... After 8 months, it has come back and started flowering. I won't say that it has grown to its original size, but at least now.... it doesn't look sick.

Well.... if you have to move it... just go and do it. It will need lots of TLC after that though...

Regards, Ari :)

• middlejane
    19 years ago

If you've got lots of time, here is how I've been told to do it, and it seems to work: (sometime around Nov to March would probably be best)using a sharp spade cut a "dotted" circle around the roots of the shrub, with a diameter as big as you want the root ball to be (as big as you can manage when you eventually dig the plant up). You do that by pushing the spade into the ground as far as you can, then lift it, leave a space about a spade-width, and do the same thing again all around the shrub. That way you are cutting off only about half of the roots.

Leave it for about two months then cut the top back hard. Leave it for another month then dig it up, with a root ball at the diameter where you previously cut the "dotted line".

You now have a shrub with a small top that won't overtax the cut-back roots, but with lots of new tips which is where the plant hormone that grows roots is made. As well, the roots will have branched out where they were previously cut back, so you will have more of the small hair-roots that the plant needs to get moisture and nutrients.

When you replant it, make sure the hole you are putting it into is big enough, of course, but also dig up the soil around it and under it, so that the roots will easily shoot out into the soil. Water it in really well, give it a shot of seaweed, a shot of water soluble fertilizer (at the normal rate) and then add some slow release fertilizer a couple of weeks later. Keep an eye on it for awhile, and keep the water up to it for a month or so, but don't drown it.

Hope it works.

Alternatively, if you move it now it will eventually recover. It is pretty hard to kill a hibiscus.

• Amelie
    19 years ago

... perhaps take cuttings (well ahead) before you move it just it case it doesn't survive ...

• Xiikzodz
    19 years ago

I hope you were able to move your hibiscus with no problems and that it survived well for you. Please let us know how it turned out.

-Off Topic-
    Is anyone here growing Hibiscus insularis or know of someone who is? I would love to hear about it.

Thanks.

• mexican_cottage
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I confess! I wimped out and am now resigned to pruning it rather often.I am such a garden nursery victim that I haven't left a big enough space anywhere else and the digging of large holes in my sand is a frustrating business as they just keep collapsing. thanks for your input, I may find a spot if something dies and I'll use your suggestions then.