Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greathawks

Stephanotis

greathawks
18 years ago

Does anybody know anything about growing these plants in Brisbane?

GH

Comments (11)

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

They grow fine here being a creeper I have mine growing up one of my Gum trees.
    Recently he produced its first seed pod and its huge, Avocado size and getting bigger.
    I wonder how many seeds it will have in it, I will offer them on the garden exchange...Cheers...MM.
    {{gwi:2111944}}

• goldhills
    18 years ago

Grows well here. We recently moved ours as it grew bigger than expected. Now growing well on the fence.

• plantsplus
    18 years ago

They grow well around Brisbane. They grow best if their roots are in a cool position and the vine can grow up to the sun. Grown from seed (which is very easy to germinate) they will flower within 2-3 years. Robyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

Hi , I was just checking out the oz tropicals forums and saw this thread. I live in S. Louisiana in the U.S. Stephanotis is my favorite vine to grow here. It is sort of subtropical here (by US standards anyhow lol)and very humid in the summer. I grow mine in a pot with a bamboo trellis. It likes rich very well drained soil and seems to like fertilizing on occasion. I love this vine because it is in flower spring through fall and is wonderfully fragrant. Here it has not lost its foilage this winter.
    Best of all it attracts cute little hummingbird moths at night which are fun to watch.
    mistymorn,
    I like your photo of the fruit on your vine. Do you know if they need to have another vine nearby to pollinate it? Mine has never set any fruit although I see pollinators :( -wish it would!
    ~SJN

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi SJN..... Would you believe that seed pod is even bigger now and no I dont have another vine, and I know none of the neighbours on both sides dont grow one. It could be a age thing as this is the first time mine has flowered I think I have had it about three years having just stuck it in the soil under a tree one year as I was not ready for it, it does not get much water and I never feed it the soil is hard clay and it has been a very dry summer thats probably why it has not flowered before. Sorry I cannot help you there but maybe some one else will know ....Cheers..MM.

• TonyfromOz
    18 years ago

I know of several growing very happily on front fences in inner suburbs of Sydney, flowering freely AND fruiting.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    18 years ago

I did a search to find out if stephanotis needs a pollinator but couldn't find anything specific about it. This is my second year with this vine but it was huge when I got it so I don't know how old it is. I started some seeds that I ordered just in case it does need 2 vines. Mistymorn, I heard the fruits could get as large as a cucumber, wow! It would be interesting to see a photo of the inside of the fruit when you open it .
    Thanks for all your advice
    ~SJN

• cestrum
    18 years ago

Stephanotis doesn't seem to be hard to grow from cuttings. I bought a small plant from Bunnings about a month ago and, before planting it out, cut most of the long cane off to use as cuttings. The cuttings were dipped in hormone-rooting liquid and planted in three small pots in a very sandy cactus mix, watered and sprayed with seaweed mix, covered in a plastic bag and placed on the bottom shelf of the mini-greenhouse. Today I decided to check on them and took them out of the plastic bag; all have leaves and the one in the shallowest pot (as opposed to the long tubestocks)has two very white, thick roots showing through the bottom. Shouldn't be too cold yet to take cuttings, I think.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi There SJN ...I will post a pic when I cut it, dont know when that will be though.....Cheers..MM.

• alisonoz_gw
    18 years ago

Easy to grow from seed, the pod grows to the size of an avocado or a choko but takes a long while to mature - like 9 months. Will eventually go a little puckered and yellowish and finally split to reveal a core of brown seeds with feathery tails - which will all fly away unless you are prepared. A bit of old pantyhose secured with a pin will save the moment. They do not need a second plant to pollinate, they just do what they want. A paint-brush and some "tickling" helps. But as commented above, they will strike easily enough from cuttings also. A great flower and perfume.

• mistymorn
    18 years ago

Hi Alision Thanks for that info...I had no idea they burst open like that.
    But then most seeds do dont they when you are not ready for them..
    Pantyhose you say Gosh!!! I never wear them I will have to ask my favourite neighbour.
    Cheers..MM.