Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hymenosporum flavum

Posted by thefof NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 14 at 3:28

Guys

When I put this in, I didn't do enough research. Durr!!

It is double trunked and about 6m tall. Over the years it has lost most of its lower branches to wind, so it now looks like 2 over-sized lollipops.

Does any one have experience of cutting these down? Will they shoot from dormant buds, on the trunk, or coppice from the base?

TIA

Fof

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hymenosporum flavum

Hi Fof

I had one of these years back and soon realised that it had plenty of epicormic buds along its stems and trunk. I pruned it well into the older wood and it regenerated reasonably quickly. I didn't get any coppicing at the base but I suspect if cut heavily enough that it might. It is known for being fire resistant or fire retardant so that would also make me think that it will coppice.

Anyway, I ended up getting rid of it in the end but loved it whilst I had it growing. I now have the dwarf version -- a much more bushy plant but doesn't flower as well as the parent.

Regards,
Ted

o
RE: Hymenosporum flavum

Thanks, Ted. That is exactly what I had hoped to hear.
As I said, it is double trunked, with the split point below ground level. I have often wondered if it was a single seedling or 2 together when I got it as tube stock.
Will wait a bit longer then I'll bring one down, very low and see if it coppices. Once I see what it is doing, I'll think about doing the other.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here