Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Phaleria Clerodendron - anyone propagated by cuttings?

Posted by RexEdwardFairy none (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 18:58

Hi there, my research indicates I'm supposed to propagate Phaleria Clerodendron (Native SWEET Daphne) by macotting (air-layer, aerial layering), which I've not done before. I've also found out how to do it via researching, but frankly it sounds a bit tricky.

I'm gonna give the cuttings method a go. Anyone, anyone had any success with this? If so, would you mind sending me any tips you may have? I'll be pioneering the whole experiment without much of a clue otherwise!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Phaleria Clerodendron - anyone propagated by cuttin

I've got a couple of small ones I've been growing from seeds. Was hoping someone might chip in with an answer to your query.

o

Alright, gave that a go. Not a big success. Method I used was to take tip cuttings, with a few nodes, remove most leaves (not top ones), scarify end of cutting, add rooting hormone, place damp paper towelling over end of cutting that has hormone powder on it, and place in bottle with a plastic ziplock bag over the top and mist daily. I didnt mist daily bc it all seemed quite damp in there, and yet still the cutting moulded over. Next plan: I'm gonna give it another go. Have found an interesting way to root gardenia cuttings using a paper towel, bottle and water, so I'm gonna try this on the Phaleria bc this way actually keeps the end of the root in water in a bottle - so i can SEE what's going on... I will report back on Expero Number 2 in a few weeks...

o

Maybe having the leaves damp promoted the fungus. With the top of the cutting open to air movement it might have worked, maybe. Also, this time of year the plant might be responding too slow and the mould is growing faster. You could wait until it's a bit warmer.

o

Whilst I haven't tried to propagate this variety I've had success with other clerodendrons (Thomsonia, Speciosa, 'witches tongue') by taking 6 to 10 cuttings, preferably 'heal' cuttings; scraping the bark back to the combrium tissue; leaving no more than 3 leaves on the stem and those generally cut in half; dipping the end in water and then hormone powder and planting 3 to 4 in a pot. Then keeping the pot(s) in a shady spot until established.

B.

o

Phaleria clerodendron is the scientific name. It isn't a Clerodendron but in the unrelated genus Phaleria. It's a small tree which has flowers/fruit along the trunk. Photo of one in Cairns, has the red fruit on the trunk.

o

Hi Friends,
I have successfully propagated the above plant through stem cuttings.
First take stem cuttings of various semi-hard wood and let them cuttings heal for about an hour.
Meantime you can prepare some building sand and soil mixed about 50/50%.
Next used boiled water and pour it into the pot of media in order to sterile it.Drained all the water.
Let the media cool.
Next, dipped the cuttings in rooting media.
Used a stick to poke holes and put cuttings into the hole one by one.
Use fingers to press mixture close to cuttings.
Put the whole pot in a plastic transparent bag and sealed it.
Place the cuttings in bright/warm position.
The cuttings will root after one to two months depending on the environment conditions.
Please try it out over your end as you could enjoy them flowering in even the plant is in small pot.
Photobucket

o

Thank you, thank you, thank you everyone for your terrific advice. I've been waiting for Spring (and it's here!) to tackle this project. So today is the day! I'll keep you all posted...

o

Okay, I"ve begun this project. Have done it all exactly as outlined except for putting a plastic bag over the top. This never works for me. So I'm going to hope that the very hot weather we're having will keep everything warm enough...fingers crossed, on with the experiment...

o

Nup. Fail again! I blame the rain. (Mainly blame anything but me is the motto). What now? I'm going to take smaller cuttings, take off most leaves, scarify ends, dip in rooting hormone, plonk in sand....and (the new bit): PUT A GLASS JAR over the exposed cutting. Aaaand if need be, I might feed it meringues. Who doesn't like meringues? Keep you posted...

o

Meringue might just be the thing it needs. I never thought of that, LOL. Good luck.

o

Okay, here I go again, with this experiment. I'm nothin if not tenacious (not true - I'm actually quite lazy but goodness I DO WANT THIS PLANT in my garden). So this year, I've taken 6 good semi-hardwood cuttings and I note that I just happened to take them at a time when there were buds about to bloom on the stem. So these nodes are "active" so to speak. I'm excited. I think this will be the key. So i'm going to now follow the instructions above to a T, and even putting a transparent plastic bag over the top. It's been a quite warm spring/summer here in Byron Bay, Australia (zone 11), and also a lot drier than last year, so I feel like I've got the right recipe happening. Will keep you posted...

o

My seedling plants are getting to about 1.5 metres tall, but they're in a lot of shade. If your experiment works out I might do a bit of pruning and try it myself. Good Luck.

o

Another fail. Obviously because I promised it meringues and then didn't follow through. That MUST be it bc I did everything else bmbalgert suggests. All seemed to be going well - I even thought I saw nodes greening up...but then weeks and weeks of nothing. And when I eventually (months later!) pulled them out: no roots had even begun to grow. Hmm... I've found where I can buy some now (not even expensive - just $5), but to be honest, I'm really keen to master this cuttings method now. It's become a bit of an obsession. And so: I'll give it another go next spring.

o

That'll teach you to renege on your meringue deal. You've lost another year because of that, LOL.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here