Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blackboy - Grass Tree propagation from seed

Posted by Vicki1655 NSW Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 05 at 4:54

Hi,
I have just been given 10 fresh Blackboy "Xanthorrhoea Preisii" seeds. I would like to propagate the seeds unfortunately I have no idea how to go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Vicki1655

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blackboy - Grass Tree propagation from seed

I hope you are patient. They can take 20 years to develop stems and longer to flower, that is why they are expensive. Propogation by seeds in a coarse free draining mix is fine in spring or autumn.

o

I've had a X quadrangulata flower after approx. 7 years from seed. That's not much longer than for many Banksias from seed, and much better than digging them out of the bush and subjecting them to a lingering death.
A little patience is very rewarding with Xanthorrhoea, go for it. They are not difficult with fresh seed and don't usually need any special treatment.
Also, try a search of the forum past posts. These chaps seem to be the subject of every tenth post or so...

o

Thank you Danili & Kearnage,
I have heaps of patients when it comes to growing plants, I have all sorts of things growing from seeds that are long term. Mostly I do it just to see firstly if I can do it & then to watch them grow bit by bit & I enjoy getting to know the plant.

I can't believe the little that is written on the blackboys, I'm off to our local forestery commission to find out what info they have on them.
Cheers
Vicki

o

Fresh seed usually germinates within 12 months but it could take longer and, in this politically correct climate, they are now referred to as grasstrees or xanthorrhea not blackboys. :)

o

I am awaiting my seeds to arrive, desperate to get started on them but looking now into how to get those seeds growing into beautiful plants.

thanks for the tips given on here

o

I agree with Jane, I have 2 xanthorrhoea's that send up spike of flowers every year - they've been in approx. 10 years. The flower spikes feed the lorrikeets and when the flowering is over I usually have to cut the spike off at the base and leave it lie on the garden by the plants. After a month or two the seedling spring up from the fallen stems and, well, I have to pull them up as I do weeds! (see photo),

o

By the way, mine are seed grown and haven't yet put on stems below the leaves. Both have multiplied their heads and are not quite as attractive as when they had single stems - what they really need is a good fire through them. Alternatively cutting way back, but I reckon fire is better, it's more natural for them. Also, a purchased 'bush' collected specimen (anything up to $200 plus) by a licensed collector, can take up to 2 years to die: they can be transplanted but care needs to be taken to disturb the roots as little as possible.
B.

o

There's quite a few different species of Xanthorrhoea (only one in the genus Kingia), and they come from all sorts of climates and conditions. Some don't ever form trunks, others get quite tall. I've seen large ones for sale in the thousands of dollars, but I reckon they're most likely dead now. Seeds and patience are the surest way to go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here