SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trish_g_gw

Fire-retardant plants

trish_g
18 years ago

Now that the fires are out, I wonder if any members have any stories to tell of plants which failed to catch alight, while others around them burned? Can we learn things from the experience, about planting sensible native gardens in fire-prone areas?

I get a bit sick of the "anti-native" brigade, who tell us that we shouldn't grow natives in fire-risk areas, because "they are so flammable". Surely this doesn't deal with the reality that there are many kinds of native plants.

I have heard that Brachychitons are among the best, and suspect that we could be making greater use of leafy drought-resistant ones like bottle trees and kurrajongs. Pittosporums are also said to be good and once again I wonder about the drought resisters like P. angustifolium (thank goodness I don't have to remember how to spell phyllirea...phillyrieo...oh heck ... any more).

I understand that rainforest trees are good (better than the plants from fire ecologies, anyway) at resisting being burned, but wonder how much their resistance would fade away if they were drought stressed.

I also wonder about the stories that Callitris fail to catch alight, even though they tend to grow naturally in places where fire is a natural part of the ecology. Would this apply to a single tree, or does it only apply to a stand?

I'm looking forward to some answers based on personal experience, if any of our members have it. Meanwhile, my sympathy goes out to those who lost more than mere plants in that miserable time.

Trish

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner
More Discussions