Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grevilea Lyrebird death and rebirth pt1

Posted by silvermeddle 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 20, 14 at 6:41

Hi There
I like to buy cheap plants on my meager plant budget when I can, so I sometimes look at the plants in the dead and dying section from one of those large warehouse retailing centres you know Dummings or Basters you know who I mean. So I saw this weedy mealy bug ridden plant going for a couple of bucks,and after looking at the back of the label this product this plant looked promising. So I didnt think that it would grow too large.....You know shrub like.........so many months later well maybe 12 months later, this grevillia with a beautiful weeping habit with large yellow flowers somehow amazingly it outgrew its spot rather quickly, instead of being the 1-2 metre shrub, I had a 2 metre weeping monster, So I bit the bullet, and moved it and it died..a rather quick death .......shocking yes I know....... Now for the good news, I had harvested the seeds some moons ago and 2 weeks ago while starting my next propagation project, I stumbled on this pack. Hmmmm super good news, I have seedling and hopefully the progeny of lyrebird will be continuing on..... will try post once a week the progress, if all goes well,

so here are the baby lyrebirds

jimmy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grevilea Lyrebird death and rebirth pt1

Well, there you go, generally natives don't like being dug up a transplanted so be careful to disturb the roots of your seedlings as little as possible when planting them out. Looks like they're fairly large pots you've got them in, especially those 12!

b.

o

so far so good all have survived

o

So far so good have lost a couple of slow growers but am now attempting to train these guys to grow straight before they start to weep

o

Seem to be thriving, Silverm! Mind you, given that the seeds might have been propagated by bees visiting different varieties, you can't be sure that the offspring will be the gorgeous thing you're hoping it will be - you'll simply have to wait and see what develops. Might be something entirely new and equally fantastic. Be interesting to see what what happens.

o

From one batch of seeds, there appears to be quite a difference in the size if the foliage from the seedling

One extreme is the seedling with the thickest leaf
is this one

o

and the seedling with the finest foliage

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Australian Native Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here