SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newtofrang

Fangipani Dying

NewToFrang
10 years ago

Hi all,

I received a Frangipani from my sister when she was moving and it was in a poor state, leaves were turning yellow and didn't have many leaves. I chnaged the soil in September and it started to shoot new leaves and even grew a few inches. Then the leaves started turning a rusty brown so I used white oil insecticide on them. It has gone from bad to worse. I moved it to another balcony that gets more sun but as from the photos attached you can see that it has totally withered away. any advice for me please? Btw I am living in Sydney.

Thanks,
G

Comments (7)

• tropicbreezent
    10 years ago

Shouldn't be losing leaves this time of year. Are the stems firm? What were the roots like when you changed the soil? There is a rust which affects a lot of frangipanis, it seems to be everywhere. You could ask at your local nurseries if they have anything for it. If you wanted to, they will grow easily from cuttings, but if the stems are too far gone nothing will happen.

• lenno
    9 years ago

They don't like heaps of water, feel the stem, if soft to the touch it's history.
    Try a weak solution of seasol, if that fails i would start again.
    Frangipani are easy too grow from a cutting. Select a good straight piece from the mother tree, cut with a clean sharp knife and let sit for a few days on a sheet of newspaper on your patio. This allows the cut to cauterize, or 'heal over'. Select a good sized pot, fill with premium potting mix, stick it in with a weak feed of seasol, water lightly until leaves start to form (not wet) Place pot where it will get full sun for most of day. Works for me in West Oz.

• annie_____
    9 years ago

how did it go? I've got a number of diff coloured frannies if you want to try again?

• zzackey
    9 years ago

Mine always lost all of it's leaves in the winter and when it got warm they grew back.

• thefof Zone 8/9 UK
    9 years ago

Just a quick comment regarding these. I live on the Cumberland Flood Plain, in Western Sydney. Our soil is a natural hybrid of clay and concrete - I managed to break the blade of a pick trying to work it. :-) Piled trailer loads of compost on it, in the end and left the worms to do the hard graft.
    As I really like Frangipani I put one in and it grew for about 3 years then fell over. Repeated the exercise a couple of times, then gave up. Each time they died, I found the trunk full of small black ants. Whether they were the cause of the plants' demise or just opportunists I don't know.

• annie_____
    9 years ago

no expert here but it's possible that the soil was not draining enough. One sure way to kill a frannie is to overwater it. Maybe your soil stayed wet too long? as I said, no expert here but that's the way I've lost any frannie... they stayed wet too long.

• tropicbreezent
    9 years ago

As the stems rot they form some cavities. Ants would have taken advantage of the free accommodation. Ants don't other wise affect them.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting