Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Herb to deter ants

Posted by randallm8 Sth Aust (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 10, 02 at 19:51

I read in this forum about Costmary being used to deter insects (inc ants). I have a bad ant problem in my veggie garden and would appreciate any recommendations for herbs that may repel/deter ants. I'm growing the usual veggies for this time of the year and I live on Eyre Penisular in S.A.....so very hot and very dry summer altho I,m using heavy straw mulch. Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Randall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Herb to deter ants

Bay, Catmint, Chilli, Eucalyptus, Hyssop, Lavender, Marigolds, Mints, Pyrethrum, Rue, Sage, Tansy, Wormwood, Yarrow, cinnamon, cloves, cucumber slices and peelings, citrus peelings, coffee grounds will all help deter ants.

Combine bicarbonate of soda and black pepper and sprinkle infested areas.

Mix 250g salt with 500ml water. Add 5 kilos of sawdust or bran and 10 cups molasses. Makes a crumbly mixture which can be spread around plants and shrubs to deter ants.

Small containers of borax mixed with jam or honey will help get rid of ants. Be careful to keep pets and children away.

Ants don't much like having boiling water poured into the nests, either! Nor do they like pepper.

It often happens that an infestation of aphids will lead to an increase in the ant population. The ants herd the aphids and 'milk' them of a sweet substance the aphids excrete. Might be worth checking on.

o

Wow
Thank you indeed...plenty on offer there. Think I'll try a mixture of the herbs first...was planning to edge with marigolds too....as a general pest deterent.
No sign of aphids yet.......they are too happy to leave my roses :)

Cheers
Randall

o

A lot of my pots have been severely infested with ants recently - I believe its because its the only place that has moisture!! They built a huge nest in one pot - luckily the plant was an annual that was just about had it anyway!!

o

• Posted by jancc westaus (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 27, 03 at 9:33

Anyone got a remedy for white ants. The little blighters have just finished off a wall at the end of my house. Anything I can plant that will deter them?
Cheers Jancc

o

• Posted by Lily3 VIC Aust (My Page) on
    Fri, May 2, 03 at 3:10

Isn't pennyroyal meant to deter ants?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here