Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feverfew

Posted by merryn Melbourne Aust (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 18, 02 at 7:51

When we moved into our house we found that the previous owners had planted feverfew in the vegie garden. We left it there - it is quite a quaint plant. But last year we changed the aspect of the vegie garden and the feverfew had to come out. However, now I have found it popping up through the lawn. Is this normal - is it a tricky spreader? Also, does anyone know what it can be used for - apart from making a great companion to red and deep pink roses?
Margaret

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feverfew

• Posted by Anna_B Sydney, NSW (My Page) on
    Fri, Oct 18, 02 at 9:40

Margaret, it's par for the course for Feverfew (Tanacetum parthenium) to pop up all over the place as it self-seeds quite readily.

Feverfew has many uses. It has been used to relieve migraine and the pain of toothache, also to relieve arthritic inflammation and and to relieve fevers.

A tincture of feverfew will repel insects and ease insect bites.

Cosmetically, a home-made moisturiser can be made.

It can also be used, dried, in sachets to keep moths away.

Feverfew is not used for culinary purposes.

(Feverfew should not be used during pregnancy because of the stimulant action on the womb. It was once used by midwives to strengthen contractions.
The fresh leaves may cause mouth ulcers in sensitive people.)

Please don't use any herb without first finding out as much information about it as you can, either from a naturopath or a doctor interested in herbal medicine, as there is often unfavourable interaction between some herbs & drugs.

o

Tincture of feverfew:1 heaped tsp herb to 1 cup of water take 1 - 2 cups a day in small sips. Useful for flatulence and overindulgence. (always seek medical advice if using herbs as medicine over extended periods or when on medications) Regards Beckles

o

As a severe migraine sufferer, I planted Feverfew, hoping it would one day bring me some relief. Prescription medications didn't seem to help.

Feverfew has been recommended for migraine as it is a seratonin inhibitor. Seratonin is a chemical produced in the brain. By reducing the seratonin level, Feverfew has been thought to relieve migraines and other headaches, and for many people, it will do so.

However, a few migraine sufferers (myself among them) have low seratonin levels, and Feverfew would consequently agravate the condition.

The only other warning of which I am aware is that Feverfew is toxic if taken in excessive amounts and/or for prolonged periods, and can cause vomiting and diarrhoea.

It does make a good garden spray if one can't use it for any other purpose!

o

You should never eat feverfew leaves on their own - always put them between pieces of bread, to prevent the risk of blistering the palate. Avoid during pregnancy, or when taking anti-clotting medications. Flowers are laxative and should be used sparingly. It may inhibit blood-clotting. Leaves are used to treat migraine, and arthritis, asthma, bronchitis, to prevent blood clots, to reduce high blood pressure, and for some menstrual problems. The tea can also be used externally as a healing wash or to ease the discomfort of insect bites earache and facial pain, or as a mouthwash after a tooth extraction, and also acts as a mild sedative. A tea is taken for tinnitus, irregular periods and to cleanse the uterus after childbirth. Often helps in the treatment of alcoholism (delirium tremens). If heat is helpful in reducing headache pain, feverfew might help. But if cold is helpful, then feverfew probably will not help. Once planted, feverfew can quickly become a nuisance weed, as it self-seeds prolifically and widely. Your only hope of getting rid of it is to pull every shoot well before it forms seeds.

o

hi
my feverfew has been slowly forming a small clump since april but has not gone 'wild' and I would like it to be a bit more vigorous. It is in full sun. Should I move it to part shade? Or just be patient?

o

Having moved house 3 times in 25years I have always had feverfew growing somewhere in the garden. Mind you I only ever bought one plant! It just reseeds itself and I find it in the oddest of places! I don't use it as a herb but I like the looks of it in the garden and wherever it will grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here