Return to the Herbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aloe vera turning brown and soft

Posted by aisummers QLD Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 28, 06 at 21:19

Hello I live in central qld, I purchuse an Aloe vera plant last week within a few days it has turned soft and is going brown. I was told to put it in the sun and that it is hardy. I relanted it in the garden but repotted the little fellas which are also going limp. I used a good potting mix in a raised bed.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aloe vera turning brown and soft

Have you watered it?

o

Excessive watering and frost are usually the triggers for Aloe Vera going soft and brown - they need little water, but they are tough and should recover if the cause is removed.

o

If the leaves turn brown, it usually means too little water. If they turn pinkish, it means too much water.

o

• Posted by hedwig QLD Brisbane (My Page) on
    Thu, May 11, 06 at 20:27

No Aloe Vera does not like too much sun, mine is growing under trees. and do not water much. I had the plant first in the sun in Brisbane and it turned brown so I transplanted it in shade and it does well.

o

Aloe should be hardened off to grow in direct sunlight. All plants that are started indoors, or lives out of direct sunlight needs to be gradually acclimated to it. If your aloes are turning red, put them back in the shade until they turn green again (they will be even greener than when you first planted them). Put it in partial shade, or put it under a table where noon-time sun will be blocked, but allow weaker light when the sun is lower in the sky.

o

My aloe is soft and not bright green in spots and others are brown and curled.
see pics
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88/cande56755/IMG_0549.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88/cande56755/IMG_0551.jpg
http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88/cande56755/IMG_0533a.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: aloe plant

o

Do I need to cut off the brown? Let it dry out? Water it? Feed it fertilizer? Replant?

o

Leave on the brown, it will replace it on its own. Water it Once, and then let it dry out thoroughly between waterings. Once or twice a month at most.

If it has been in the pot for a long time, it may be pot bound or lacking in nutrients. Try a slow release fertilizer and give it good amounts of sun.

o
Have I Killed it?

My aloe seems to be doing the same thing, turning brownish. It wasn't really growing inside so I put it outside (I live in Cordes Lakes, AZ) where unfortunately it gets very hot, very quickly. Is there any hope of salvaging this? Does it need less water? I do the finger soil test and have kept it moist like a squeezed out sponge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Herbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here